Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
IMO this is an area where Toyota simply messed up. Loved my 06 V6 runner, but knew I'd never be able to tow anything near what we wanted and when they did away with v8 option simply took it away as any consideration. Custom may be a way to go, but again, it would have to be mated up in a manner to handle the forces.

NWGaGators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
Toyota is missing the boat

I have a 2007 4Runner with V6 and 4 wheel drive. When I bought my ROO 183 3 years ago i ha to see if it could handle the trailer. Since it had the option of a V8 it was easy to add the frame mounted hitch. A few coolers and it was ready to go. I've used it to tow this trailer over 8000 miles over the last 3 years and it has worked great, even when over 150k miles.

The newer 4 runners have essentially the same tranny and engine and a body on frame design yet the tow ratings are reduced. The fact you can not add a frame mounted hitch takes this out of the running for a WD hitch setup. Most of the newer unibody designs can tow more than the new 4runner. This takes one of the best towing vehicles out there out of the running for most people.

sjoneil is offline   Reply With Quote

2014, hitch, toyota, weight