Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Weight Distribution Hitch Question

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their Weight Distribution Hitch(wdh). I have a 2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB. When I hook up the wdh, the chains catch, grind, and pop on the baterry box frame that is conected to and directly under the trailer frame when turning. I am new to owning a travel trailer but have read everything possible on wdh and their set up. Based on that, I am sure that I have it set up correctly. What adjustments/corrections can I try? Could this just be a design flaw that I will have to live with? Is this dangerous?
ASHCACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you here. Pictures will tell a thousand words. If you could get some that would be great.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Thank you for responding. I was thinking that as I wrote the post. I will get a few pictures as soon as I can, hopefully today.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

Pictures

OK, I have some pictures now. Not the best quality but you'll get the idea. I did have an idea- I am going to try tilting the hitch more, maybe that will give it more clearance? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	18071   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	18072  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #5

Replace the (R) pins with Reese saftey pins (Part# 58029) the R pins are too long and will get bent. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Yes now I see the paint scratched on the A frame.If you tilt the head back and use 1 more link on the chain it should clear fine. Sorry, Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #7

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I will try that and I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

I was also adjusted wrong when I set-up. After several "tweaks", I wound-up with the head one or two adjustment holes higher, and at almost maximum downward back-tilt. I now have five loose chain links, rather than the three that I started with, but now I go down the road level, no one flashes their high-beams at me at night, thinking MINE are in their faces, and any sway from passing trucks or busses is almost COMPLETELY gone.

I do want to get to a CAT Scale and re-weigh each axle, now that I've made the adjustments....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #9

Thanks

Thank you. I will just keep adjusting until I get the right combo. Other than the catching of the chains this latest adjustment seems good. I am hoping adjusting tilt is the final piece. We'll see! I am leaving for a week this Friday I'll let you know how everything came out when I get back. Thanks again.