Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

weight distribution plus air bags

Howdy everyone,
We just upgraded to a Rockwood Signature 8329SS TT which we're pulling with a 2010 Tundra 5.7 and your basic Husky WDS.

First let me state that we hit the scales at the beginning of our first trip and all weights are well within tolerances across the board. Everything is fine in that regard and I'll preemptively state I'm not buying a new truck. That being said, the truck and front half of the trailer ride a bit lower than I'd like - I'd like to see more clearance under the hitch and have the trailer just a little more level.

I'd been thinking rear Timbrens or airbags would be the solution, but now I can't wrap my head around how a rear-only Timbren/airbag upgrade would affect things when a WDS is at play. It seems like it would make it harder or impossible to get an even squat at the front and rear of the truck. I'm thinking that Timbrens on both the front and rear would be the simplest solution to get just a little more clearance. Any thoughts/experiences you'd like to share?
Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

If you are well within weights I would think that the issue probably is in the hitch set up. I would look there before adding suspension enhancements. One of the techs at e-trailer told me that airbags and other devices can work against your hitch. I don't know and me being stubborn I put airbags on my truck. Everything is nice and level without them but I do put just enough air in them to smooth out the ride. Look at your hitch first and go from there.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

I put airbags on my F250 to keep the rear end from squatting quite so much and to smooth out the ride. I haven't towed the trailer with them yet, but I plan to run just enough air pressure to raise the truck up a couple inches. I'm going to reset my hitch set up this weekend and remeasure and get the right setting on the bars to account for the airbags. The hitch is a Reese Dual Cam. My trailer (30WLA) is tongue heavy.
slapshot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I installed the Timbrens solid snubbers. Truck and trailer sat nice and level prior but the object is to help prevent sway. The snubbers are longer that the originals and when weight is now put on the truck the snubbers now rest on the springs/axle they by creating more resistance to sway. Works good and was cheap. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null View Post
Howdy everyone,
We just upgraded to a Rockwood Signature 8329SS TT which we're pulling with a 2010 Tundra 5.7 and your basic Husky WDS.

First let me state that we hit the scales at the beginning of our first trip and all weights are well within tolerances across the board. Everything is fine in that regard and I'll preemptively state I'm not buying a new truck. That being said, the truck and front half of the trailer ride a bit lower than I'd like - I'd like to see more clearance under the hitch and have the trailer just a little more level.
How about posting your weights ?? A simple WDH adjustment might do the trick.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
If you are well within weights I would think that the issue probably is in the hitch set up. I would look there before adding suspension enhancements. One of the techs at e-trailer told me that airbags and other devices can work against your hitch. I don't know and me being stubborn I put airbags on my truck. Everything is nice and level without them but I do put just enough air in them to smooth out the ride. Look at your hitch first and go from there.
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
That was my first thought and I was thinking the hitch couldn't be adjusted any higher, but looking at it again I think I've got one more hole up I can go. It's currently adjusted with the top of the ball level with the top of the bumper. I thought that was the golden rule but I don't really know of any reason why adjusting higher would be a bad thing (and rather a good thing in this case).
Old 06-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

I tow the same trailer with a 13 Tundra DC. Rear suspension is really soft. I added Firestone air bags. Run them at 25 psi when hooked up. That lifts truck about 2 inches. You will have to either tilt your hitch head back some or snap up one more link of chain when lifting rear with bags. I found lifting rear took tension off WD bars and removed weight from front axle of TV.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

I tried putting more tension on WD bars to lift rear first but ended up with to much weight transfer to front axle.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags, weight