Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #21
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randsjackson View Post
Awaiting the delivery of a new Rockwood Mini-lite 23 foot with a dry weight of 4130 and cargo capacity of 1100. The tongue weight is almost 600 pounds. I will be towing with a GMC Sierra 2500hd diesel. Do I need a weight distribution hitch or anti sway device or both? New to this TT life and any guidance would be appreciated.
If you look at the receiver on your truck it will have two maximum weight limits stamped on it such as 500/5000.
This means tongue weight of the trailer without WDH is limited to 500 lbs. and 5000 lbs. with a WDH.
If the tongue weight of your camper exceeds the lower of the two values then you need a weight distribution hitch.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
If you look at the receiver on your truck it will have two maximum weight limits stamped on it such as 500/5000.
This means tongue weight of the trailer without WDH is limited to 500 lbs. and 5000 lbs. with a WDH.
If the tongue weight of your camper exceeds the lower of the two values then you need a weight distribution hitch.
Close.....You would actually have two sets of numbers such as 500/5000 as weight carrying and 800/8000 with weight distributing. First number is tongue weight, second is trailer weight max. I think that's actually what you meant to say, lol.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #23
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Close.....You would actually have two sets of numbers such as 500/5000 as weight carrying and 800/8000 with weight distributing. First number is tongue weight, second is trailer weight max. I think that's actually what you meant to say, lol.
You're absolutely correct, thank you.
I know better than to make statements based on my memory...
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #24

Originally Posted by spierce617
This is your first TT and probably not your last. Think of the future and buy a WDH that is more than you need for this trailer. If you upgrade later you will not regret it. Buy it over sized now and save yourself when you need the over sized one for the next trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
That advice goes against most of the manufacturer's recommendations I have ever read.

not according to the Camco engineer I talked to three yrs. ago,.......... I had/have a 1000# WDH and was concerned about it being too heavy for a lighter trailer so I called Camco and talked to the head engineer over the WDH dept......... he said if adjusted correctly it is completely safe,... they aren't safe for weights ABOVE their rating, but can be used for lesser weight safely if adjusted correctly, .......he said "many dealers who install our WDH's only carry the 1000# because of that, sure we wish they would carry our whole line, 600#, 800#, 1000#, but many just carry the one to reduce inventory"

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
That advice goes against most of the manufacturer's recommendations I have ever read. The W/D system should match the tongue weight of the trailer in use. That is unless, you prefer a bouncy ride . . .
I gave this because he stated he was close to 600 pounds tongue weight. If he goes with a WDH hitch for 6000 lbs he will be at the upper limit of the WDH hitch already. Moving up to the next step would be the ideal solution in my books.

I have a trailer that is about 780 lbs tongue weight and was told to buy a 8000 lbs hitch due to recommendations from the "so called experts". I had a white knuckle ride the whole 2 years that I used that hitch. Could never get it dialed in to give a good ride.

Being that close to the upper limit of the hitch I moved up to a 10,000 lbs hitch. I no longer have a white knuckle ride and absolutely no bouncy ride.

Sometimes you have to look past the "so called experts" and take the plunge when the solution is staring you straight in the face.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Originally Posted by spierce617
This is your first TT and probably not your last. Think of the future and buy a WDH that is more than you need for this trailer. If you upgrade later you will not regret it. Buy it over sized now and save yourself when you need the over sized one for the next trailer.

not according to the Camco engineer I talked to three yrs. ago,.......... I had/have a 1000# WDH and was concerned about it being too heavy for a lighter trailer so I called Camco and talked to the head engineer over the WDH dept......... he said if adjusted correctly it is completely safe,... they aren't safe for weights ABOVE their rating, but can be used for lesser weight safely if adjusted correctly, .......he said "many dealers who install our WDH's only carry the 1000# because of that, sure we wish they would carry our whole line, 600#, 800#, 1000#, but many just carry the one to reduce inventory"
I'll ask what the Camco manual states? I would not personally recommend a Camco hitch for the OP pulling a lighter trailer with a 2500. He will be more likely to need reliable sway control more than weight distribution. In either case, I'll stand by my statement. I know of no manufacturer that says buy an oversized hitch. The hitch should be properly rated for the trailer in use.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #27

"Too Strong Never Failed".

As long as you hitch (spacers and chain) is adjusted correctly, stiffer bars will lift the truck just as well (better) and with less bounce than lighter springs.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #28

I vote for the Andersen in this situation as well. I think this setup is the perfect fit for it- relatively low tongue weight, not a huge amount of weight transfer needed, and primary need is sway control.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Probably better to say get you a good hitch now instead of going cheap but get it in the correct weight range. You can usually upgrade to heavier bars later on the same hitch platform without having to buy a new hitch.
This is definitely true with the Blue Ox SwayPro should you decide on it...one of the many advantages of BO over some others.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #30

You need the WD hitch (you can swap for stiffer bars if you buy a heavier trailer later) but likely won't use the sway bar.

I towed pretty much exactly that setup (4500lb TT with 2500HD Sierra) for 10 years and never used (or needed to use) a sway bar. With the long wheelbase of the 2500HD CCSB (relative to the TV rear axle to TT axle distance) and the TV rear axle side-to-side stiffness, I never had sway. I did feel it when being passed by a semi but it wasn't alarming.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight