Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #11

No thoughts on the rear suspension?!? I've read a few things saying you shoud have it off when setting up your hitch but nothing about leaving it off while towing with a WDH. Any thoughts?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
daydreaming about camping

you simply cannot set-up a WDH with it on, none of the numbers would matter. However I am not sure if it should be left off towing. Does the book say anything about it?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

The book was my next course of action. The truck has been at the dealer the last two days so I haven't been able to look. Fords towing guide doesn't mention anything about it.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
you simply cannot set-up a WDH with it on, none of the numbers would matter. However I am not sure if it should be left off towing. Does the book say anything about it?
read the book, says just what you did. turn it off, set up the hitch, hook up the spring bars then turn it back on. Got it all set up last night. Haven't hit the scales yet but the rear is about 1" lower than unloaded height and the front is about 1/4" higher and the trailer rides level. Now we'll see if I get on down the road without the shank hitting the ground. tongue height of my TT was only 17-1/2" and the only dropped shank I had extends about 2" below the head but not below the spring bars so I guess if I didn't scrape when I was hitched to the Mountaineer, there's no reason to believe it'll happen in the Expy. Even with my 350lb arse bouncing on the hitch it didn't come very close to hitting the ground. We hit the road at noon. Wish me luck!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
daydreaming about camping

Good luck!! Most important thing that you truly need to remember on this trip:

HAVE FUN!!

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #16

The "fun" will begin at noon but the real fun begins 5 hours (fingers crossed) later when we get to the CG and I crack open my first cold beverage.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #17

Made it there and back in one piece. Never did hit the scale but I'm pretty sure weight isn't the issue. It's wind resistance. With o/d off, it pulled it like it was nothing. Only a few hills gave it any trouble and even then it only lost 5-10mph and rarely downshifted. Although, in o/d, on straight flat runs it just wouldn't keep the speed up but then again, the wind didn't help matters either. So, as much as I don't like it, looks like o/d off is the way to go for now. The rpms may be high but I'm using way less throttle. I'm still not 100% on the hitch setup. Didn't quite feel right on the way there but 30mph cross winds for the entire 250 miles kept my mind on other things. Transfered a little cargo weight to the front and into the TV for the trip back and it seemed to be a lot better until, you guessed it, more wind for the last 100 miles. The camping more than made up for it though. Beautiful place. One of our best camping trips to date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1372086433337.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	33894