Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #61

not every thing is as seems, i have worked for a ford dealer for 28 years and am currently service manager for ford dealer. you refered to a 2013 f150 fx4 so i pulled up a parts listing on a 2013 f150 fx4 4x4 3.5 eco boost. there are 5 differant springs for the truck the only way to tell what you have is to crawl under and look for the codes. they are cl34a , cl34d ,cl34e ,cl34j ,cl34p. there are 3 differant axels a 9.75 with out hd pay load , 9.75 with electronic locker with hd , 9.75 with hd payload.and a variety of shocks depending on wheel base and with hd payload or without hd payload. not to mention larger brakes on the hd payload model and differant steering ratio and even the engine and transmission calibrations are differant. and that is the short list .the only way to know what your vehicle has is to have a dealer run the vin # and get a hvbom ( historical vehicle bill of materials ) to really tell what you have. even the fornt hub bearings are differant between the two with or without hd payload. hope this helps with your question.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #62
Oklahoma Proud

Well now that a Ford guy has chimed un and confirmed the same thing as what I said about Gm trucks, it seems that THERE IS NOTHING MAGICAL about where the gvrw numbers come from.

I just get tired of the guys who say "the only difference between (fill in the blank ) and (fill in the blank) is this one thing" or "a helper spring". Obviously this thread should shoot that theory way out of the water.

- I guess the ops question is answered now!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I think the answer is "Good point. Doesn't make any sense. I don't know." Some will also likely say "Doesn't matter. It is what it is and if you wanna be legal you better follow it." (I've never liked someone declaring something IS without a reason.) But I'd like to know if anyone can come to any other conclusion regarding this:

2013 Ford F150 with tow package gives a GVWR of 7200#. Add the max trailer tow package and GVWR goes to 7700#. There is NOTHING on the truck that affects payload capacity. You get tow mirrors and brake controller for sure, but both are easily optioned to the truck and have nothing to do with payload. There are some that claim slightly better trans cooler and slightly different steering ratio. Also I believe that the gear ratio goes to 3.73, which is already the case on many trucks, specifically the FX4's. None of these things has anything to do with payload. It is perfectly clear that GVWR is NOT anything determined from an engineering standpoint. Same axles, same springs and shocks, same brakes, same frame. As far as I am concerned it is a marketing and liability issue. Has little to do with the safety or capability, otherwise you couldn't just slap some mirrors on a truck (TBC comes in many other packages) and raise the GVWR by 500 lbs.

For clarification: Some people confuse the max trailer tow with the max payload. Two different animals- max payload has a different axle, springs, wheels, tires, etc.

What say you?
Ford has a confusing myrid of packages that you can put on the truck - it took us FOREVER to understand it and get Ford to comit to the point we are at (which is basically we have a 5er with a MAX weight of 10.5K - what do we need to tow it?) (We sandbagged them, BTW - we are only towing a MAX of9.6K and currently scale at 9K even loaded out

Turned out to be: F150/ 3.5L EcoBoost/Max Trailer Tow Package/HD Trailer Tow Package/3.73 axel/6 1/2' box got us a MAX loaded trailer weight of 11,300 lbs with a GCWR of 17,100 LBS

Here is the table:
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

Caveat: you will never ever see this kind of a build on a stock lot (unless you are buyiung my used Rig in a few years Your local Ford dealer - fleet services rep - will be happy to build one out for you (and BTW I got all my USAA discounts and customer cash as well - so do NOT let a dealer BS you!) Took about 5 weeks to deliver (plant shut down for 4th of July or it would have been a even 4 weeks).

We have been out on 3 trips - longest was 400 mi one way and have had NO problems whatsoever with towing, sway, stopping (MOST important!) or any overly heaving loading on the hitch. Acceleration is baby-butt smooth and if I am not careful on a open road I can be doing 70 before I know it...up a slight grade even!

I have panic tested the rig in a huge empty paved lot - accelerated to 10, 20 , 30 MPH and slammed on the brakes - no fishtail, no lockup, just smooth braking - the Ford anti-sway, heavy duty braking system was flawless.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #64
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
not every thing is as seems, i have worked for a ford dealer for 28 years and am currently service manager for ford dealer. you refered to a 2013 f150 fx4 so i pulled up a parts listing on a 2013 f150 fx4 4x4 3.5 eco boost. there are 5 differant springs for the truck the only way to tell what you have is to crawl under and look for the codes. they are cl34a , cl34d ,cl34e ,cl34j ,cl34p. there are 3 differant axels a 9.75 with out hd pay load , 9.75 with electronic locker with hd , 9.75 with hd payload.and a variety of shocks depending on wheel base and with hd payload or without hd payload. not to mention larger brakes on the hd payload model and differant steering ratio and even the engine and transmission calibrations are differant. and that is the short list .the only way to know what your vehicle has is to have a dealer run the vin # and get a hvbom ( historical vehicle bill of materials ) to really tell what you have. even the fornt hub bearings are differant between the two with or without hd payload. hope this helps with your question.
Great insider info...thanks for sharing!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #65
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Well now that a Ford guy has chimed un and confirmed the same thing as what I said about Gm trucks, it seems that THERE IS NOTHING MAGICAL about where the gvrw numbers come from.

I just get tired of the guys who say "the only difference between (fill in the blank ) and (fill in the blank) is this one thing" or "a helper spring". Obviously this thread should shoot that theory way out of the water.

X2!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Ford has a confusing myrid of packages that you can put on the truck - it took us FOREVER to understand it and get Ford to comit to the point we are at (which is basically we have a 5er with a MAX weight of 10.5K - what do we need to tow it?) (We sandbagged them, BTW - we are only towing a MAX of9.6K and currently scale at 9K even loaded out Turned out to be: F150/ 3.5L EcoBoost/Max Trailer Tow Package/HD Trailer Tow Package/3.73 axel/6 1/2' box got us a MAX loaded trailer weight of 11,300 lbs with a GCWR of 17,100 LBS Here is the table: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf Caveat: you will never ever see this kind of a build on a stock lot (unless you are buyiung my used Rig in a few years Your local Ford dealer - fleet services rep - will be happy to build one out for you (and BTW I got all my USAA discounts and customer cash as well - so do NOT let a dealer BS you!) Took about 5 weeks to deliver (plant shut down for 4th of July or it would have been a even 4 weeks). We have been out on 3 trips - longest was 400 mi one way and have had NO problems whatsoever with towing, sway, stopping (MOST important!) or any overly heaving loading on the hitch. Acceleration is baby-butt smooth and if I am not careful on a open road I can be doing 70 before I know it...up a slight grade even! I have panic tested the rig in a huge empty paved lot - accelerated to 10, 20 , 30 MPH and slammed on the brakes - no fishtail, no lockup, just smooth braking - the Ford anti-sway, heavy duty braking system was flawless.
actually, I have located one...in the state of texas...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #67
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
1/2" difference is easily seen, you sure don't need a micrometer to see the difference.
them duramax silverados have MONSTER U-joints! huh ... wonder why that is ?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
I am well aware of all of the differences involved with HD PAYLOAD. That's not what the question is about. Ford clearly spells out the differences in all of those items in it's lit. As for MAX TOW, the differences Ford lists have NOTHING to do with payload. If you have proof of different springs being offered between two identical trucks with no changes made besides MAX TOW, then I'm all ears.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #69

Quote:

Not quite. If you'll read the post you are referring to again, you'll notice his entire discussion is about HD PAYLOAD. Everyone knows the difference in the HD PAYLOAD. My question is about increased GVWR with MAX TOW. Therefore, the theory still stands. Or at least the mystery.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

Caveat: you will never ever see this kind of a build on a stock lot (unless you are buyiung my used Rig in a few years Your local Ford dealer - fleet services rep - will be happy to build one out for you (and BTW I got all my USAA discounts and customer cash as well - so do NOT let a dealer BS you!) Took about 5 weeks to deliver (plant shut down for 4th of July or it would have been a even 4 weeks).

That is true unless you are buying at the end of a model year. Incentives are very competitive then, and the massive discounts are on the outgoing years inventory. If you order, you have to order the next year model that is in production. This can be several thousand dollars. Also, if trading you often won't get a quote on EXACTLY what they'll give for your trade. Without even taking into account the thousands in price difference because of lost incentives and higher price with new model year, I wasn't willing to put myself in the position of the dealer devaluing my trade when the truck arrived.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
actually, I have located one...in the state of texas...
You better not be picky about options or colors if you have. When I was looking a month or so back, there were about 8 2013's within 1200 miles that had the HD Payload package. There were more Max Tow, but still only like a dozen or so within 1000 miles. And the dealers wouldn't do a dealer trade for them. No way you could pick one of them up at almost $13K off of sticker like I did. Not to mention I got more for my trade at my dealer than what I paid for the truck at another Ford dealership 7 months prior. So far no one has been able to definitively back up any structural changes in the Max Tow that account for increased GVWR, and I wasn't willing to pay several thousand for a sticker with a bigger number on it.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #72
Always Learning

Quote:
Also, if trading you often won't get a quote on EXACTLY what they'll give for your trade. Without even taking into account the thousands in price difference because of lost incentives and higher price with new model year, I wasn't willing to put myself in the position of the dealer devaluing my trade when the truck arrived.
Actually, my dealer did give me an exact value on my trade (Dodge Durango). It was part of my negotiating with the new truck price. It was written down on my order sheet as part of the agreement and we had a handshake understanding that if I did something stupid to the Durango (wrecked it, for instance) that it would change- but when the truck came in and we signed papers, they didn't bat an eye or suggest a penny less.

That said- the incentives and rebates that you get are based on when the truck comes in and you close on it not when you order.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #73
DDC

" the codes. they are cl34a , cl34d ,cl34e ,cl34j ,cl34p"

These types of codes can be exactly the same part but the alphabet letter describes who the supplier is. This is used a lot in mass production where you may have twenty suppliers all making the same part and need to know where the batches come from.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #74

Quote:
You better not be picky about options or colors if you have. When I was looking a month or so back, there were about 8 2013's within 1200 miles that had the HD Payload package. There were more Max Tow, but still only like a dozen or so within 1000 miles. And the dealers wouldn't do a dealer trade for them. No way you could pick one of them up at almost $13K off of sticker like I did. Not to mention I got more for my trade at my dealer than what I paid for the truck at another Ford dealership 7 months prior. So far no one has been able to definitively back up any structural changes in the Max Tow that account for increased GVWR, and I wasn't willing to pay several thousand for a sticker with a bigger number on it.
I'm not. It tows and it has paint...
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I'm not. It tows and it has paint...
I think I'd have a lot less stress in my life if I were more like that!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Actually, my dealer did give me an exact value on my trade (Dodge Durango). It was part of my negotiating with the new truck price. It was written down on my order sheet as part of the agreement and we had a handshake understanding that if I did something stupid to the Durango (wrecked it, for instance) that it would change- but when the truck came in and we signed papers, they didn't bat an eye or suggest a penny less.

That said- the incentives and rebates that you get are based on when the truck comes in and you close on it not when you order.
They were offering me a premium for my trade because it was Certified Pre Owned. More miles and another at least 1 month off of what was left of that warranty- and maybe longer- was what made them reluctant to give me an exact dollar amount. I think, now that you say that about the incentives, I remember it working that way also. No way would I order a truck without knowing EXACTLY what incentives I would get when I ordered. I was on a very strict budget that had to be met or I wasn't going to do it. More disposable income would negate much of the need to know to the penny what I'd be paying.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
" the codes. they are cl34a , cl34d ,cl34e ,cl34j ,cl34p"

These types of codes can be exactly the same part but the alphabet letter describes who the supplier is. This is used a lot in mass production where you may have twenty suppliers all making the same part and need to know where the batches come from.
And the plot thickens….
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #78
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

Not quite. If you'll read the post you are referring to again, you'll notice his entire discussion is about HD PAYLOAD. Everyone knows the difference in the HD PAYLOAD. My question is about increased GVWR with MAX TOW. Therefore, the theory still stands. Or at least the mystery.
I dont care what you call it. The different parts, or programming makeups are what makes difference in the gvwr. THERE WILL BE A PARTS OR PROGRAM DIFFERENCE . Get a couple vins- one for your max tow and one for the other and someone will be able to tell you the difference.
But I guess us people that actually have knowledge and experience in this stuff must not be convincing enough.

I'm out.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #79

Actually the different prefixes and suffixes for Ford part numbers signify a change in the part NOT a different manufacturer. Having sold Ford parts and working in Ford parts for years the other poster is right in saying you have to pull the VIN number and see what parts the truck was built with. There are sooooo many different combinations its ridiculous and frustrating for us parts guys to make sure the customer gets the right parts. Just because two parts look alike does NOT mean they are the same part and are universally interchangable. A good parts guys can tell you if the parts are jnterchangeable or not and if they are which one is the stronger/better/upgraded part to have.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #80

Quote:
I dont care what you call it. The different parts, or programming makeups are what makes difference in the gvwr. THERE WILL BE A PARTS OR PROGRAM DIFFERENCE . Get a couple vins- one for your max tow and one for the other and someone will be able to tell you the difference.
But I guess us people that actually have knowledge and experience in this stuff must not be convincing enough.

I'm out.
These people with the knowledge and experience you speak of, which I assume are these parts guys, should be able to quickly and easily pull up VINs from a two identical trucks except for Max Tow and tell us if in fact there are differences. Why in all the forums this has been discussed on has none of them done that? And why wouldn't Ford outline those changes in it's lit like they do the HD Payload changes? Why would Ford install all of these better and stronger components with the Max Tow and then not tell anyone about it? If that's the case, someone in the marketing department should be canned. I will state once again, that programming has nothing to do with what an increase in payload. GVWR is determined by the physical components that the weight will be resting on. Tires, wheels, axles, springs, frame. That's pretty much it. Any of the Ecoboost trucks will pull a 3500 pound trailer without brakes. If they'll do that, then deduction dictates that they would be capable of hauling considerable more payload than any of them are "rated" for before brakes, engine, transmission or any other drivetrain component exceeded acceptable limits. Maybe I'm being too logical and I need to just drink the Kool-Aid????
Closed Thread

Tags
weight