Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Weight Police Help

Had my 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS for a year now and I have to admit that I haven't really looked at the Yellow Weight Stickers until after I purchased my 2010 Sierra 2500 SLT.

The problem I have is there is conflicting weight information.

1) Brochure information
Dry Weight: 6,910 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,226 lbs
GVWR: 11,186 lbs

2) Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door
Dry Weight: 6,635 lbs
Cargo Weight: 3,185 lbs
GVWR: 9,820 lbs

3) Yellow Sticker located on Driver's side near Propane tanks
Dry Weight: 6,788 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,348 lbs
GVWR: 11,136 lbs

Both Yellow weight stickers has the correct Vehicle Information Number (VIN).

The question is which Yellow Weight Sticker is correct?
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

Sounds like you need to go back to the dealer or the manufacturer and ask which one is telling the truth and which one is lying.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

The Brochure information and the real weight are most often different depending on options.

Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door - I believe this is average of all the TT in that model line.

Yellow Sticker located on Driver's side near Propane tanks - this is the weight when your TT left the factory and was from being pulled on to a scale and weigh. That day is lightest the TT will every be, it only goes up from there.

The most important weight is when loaded to go camping and pull it on CAT scale at truck stop and pay 10.00 and get the real weight.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door - I believe this is average of all the TT in that model line.
Why would anyone want to know the average of all in that model?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Why would anyone want to know the average of all in that model?
I called FR when mine on 315 didn't match thats what they told me. I guess you will have to ask them why they use average weight.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard of a trailer having two yellow stickers. Ideally, you should be hitting a scale to get your real weights, so any variation in the dry weights can be ignored.

The problem is the difference in your GWVR, which will affect your remain CCC as compared to the real weights you get when you scale. Something's tickling the back of my memory about a recall a year or two ago where FR had to update some yellow stickers resulting in a lower GWVR, but for the life of me I can't remember which brand or type of rig that was for.

Might be something like that in your case. In which case, I'd use the lower GVWR as a safety precaution, and compare that to the real-world weights you get when you go scale it.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
Had my 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS for a year now and I have to admit that I haven't really looked at the Yellow Weight Stickers until after I purchased my 2010 Sierra 2500 SLT.

The problem I have is there is conflicting weight information.

1) Brochure information
Dry Weight: 6,910 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,226 lbs
GVWR: 11,186 lbs

2) Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door
Dry Weight: 6,635 lbs
Cargo Weight: 3,185 lbs
GVWR: 9,820 lbs

3) Yellow Sticker located on Driver's side near Propane tanks
Dry Weight: 6,788 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,348 lbs
GVWR: 11,136 lbs

Both Yellow weight stickers has the correct Vehicle Information Number (VIN).

The question is which Yellow Weight Sticker is correct?
Dealers are authorized to change the information on the CCC labels. However, they are not allowed to change GVWR or GAWR.

Your figures are showing one GVWR under 10,000# and another over 10,000#. The regulations a trailer manufacturer builds to are different for over and under 10,000#. So, the statements made by FR when certifying the trailer are not covered for both conditions. In either situation FR has technically lied to NHTSA because of the over & under 10,000# conditions you have found. Look at the certification label for the correct GVWR.

You should report your findings to FR. If you’re not satisfied with their answers you should report your concerns to NHTSA. It may trigger a recall for conditions other owners are not aware of.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Always Learning

This is definitely a contact Forest River moment. The GVWR shouldn't be different between the stickers!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Dealers are authorized to change the information on the CCC labels. However, they are not allowed to change GVWR or GAWR.

Your figures are showing one GVWR under 10,000# and another over 10,000#. The regulations a trailer manufacturer builds to are different for over and under 10,000#. So, the statements made by FR when certifying the trailer are not covered for both conditions. In either situation FR has technically lied to NHTSA because of the over & under 10,000# conditions you have found. Look at the certification label for the correct GVWR.

You should report your findings to FR. If you’re not satisfied with their answers you should report your concerns to NHTSA. It may trigger a recall for conditions other owners are not aware of.
Wow didn't notice that. My dry weight was different between in one on the door and the by the propane tanks.

What is different they have to do if the GVWR is over 10,000?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Wow didn't notice that. My dry weight was different between in one on the door and the by the propane tanks.

What is different they have to do if the GVWR is over 10,000?
The big concern is the certification label. It has the target GVWR that the trailer manufacturer set. Once the GVWR was set at 10,000# or less the vehicle manufacturer then applied the regulations/standards for that weight class.

IMO the vehicle manufacturer cannot build a trailer using a set of rules for a designated weight class and then use another official label showing another weight class was also used. It’s clearly a violation of the vehicle certification process. Also, IMO, it was an involuntary mistake on Forrest River’s part and once they are made aware of the situation they will correct it even if they have to do a recall on their self, which is how most are initiated anyhow.

On edit: The reference below is a picture of a FR certification label & CCC information label I took at a RV show.

Below is the official statement the vehicle manufacturer MUST make on the certification label. It is also forwarded to whoever in the DOT that preserves such documentation.

“This vehicle conforms to all applicable U. S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date of manufacturer shown above.”

Notice on the CCC label that the units dry weight (UVW) when added to the maximum cargo load does not exceed the units GVWR. When dealers add options that require a CCC load capacity change those weights are deducted from the manufacturer’s established cargo weights. The GVWR is not changed.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29908
Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #11

Update,
Contacted Palomino service concerning the different weight stickers. The representative couldn't explain the reason for the difference, except maybe printer error.

Asked my local RV service center, Pocono RV in Wind Gap PA., and they stated that this happens a few times and I should get my camper weighed.

After performing online research, I believe that the door weight sticker is the most accurate. According to RVGuide.com, the GVR of my camper should be 8,070 lbs with only 1,037 lbs of cargo. 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight