Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tobyhanna, PA
Posts: 138
Weight Police Help

Had my 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS for a year now and I have to admit that I haven't really looked at the Yellow Weight Stickers until after I purchased my 2010 Sierra 2500 SLT.

The problem I have is there is conflicting weight information.

1) Brochure information
Dry Weight: 6,910 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,226 lbs
GVWR: 11,186 lbs

2) Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door
Dry Weight: 6,635 lbs
Cargo Weight: 3,185 lbs
GVWR: 9,820 lbs

3) Yellow Sticker located on Driver's side near Propane tanks
Dry Weight: 6,788 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,348 lbs
GVWR: 11,136 lbs

Both Yellow weight stickers has the correct Vehicle Information Number (VIN).

The question is which Yellow Weight Sticker is correct?
__________________

__________________
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld
 
MuddauberE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 499
Sounds like you need to go back to the dealer or the manufacturer and ask which one is telling the truth and which one is lying.
__________________

__________________
"Take The Road Less Traveled"
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s
2017 Ford F-150 EB
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
The Brochure information and the real weight are most often different depending on options.

Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door - I believe this is average of all the TT in that model line.

Yellow Sticker located on Driver's side near Propane tanks - this is the weight when your TT left the factory and was from being pulled on to a scale and weigh. That day is lightest the TT will every be, it only goes up from there.

The most important weight is when loaded to go camping and pull it on CAT scale at truck stop and pay 10.00 and get the real weight.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door - I believe this is average of all the TT in that model line.
.
Why would anyone want to know the average of all in that model?
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Why would anyone want to know the average of all in that model?
I called FR when mine on 315 didn't match thats what they told me. I guess you will have to ask them why they use average weight.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,469
I've never heard of a trailer having two yellow stickers. Ideally, you should be hitting a scale to get your real weights, so any variation in the dry weights can be ignored.

The problem is the difference in your GWVR, which will affect your remain CCC as compared to the real weights you get when you scale. Something's tickling the back of my memory about a recall a year or two ago where FR had to update some yellow stickers resulting in a lower GWVR, but for the life of me I can't remember which brand or type of rig that was for.

Might be something like that in your case. In which case, I'd use the lower GVWR as a safety precaution, and compare that to the real-world weights you get when you go scale it.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
Had my 2011 Palomino Puma 253-FBS for a year now and I have to admit that I haven't really looked at the Yellow Weight Stickers until after I purchased my 2010 Sierra 2500 SLT.

The problem I have is there is conflicting weight information.

1) Brochure information
Dry Weight: 6,910 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,226 lbs
GVWR: 11,186 lbs

2) Yellow Sticker found on Entry Door
Dry Weight: 6,635 lbs
Cargo Weight: 3,185 lbs
GVWR: 9,820 lbs

3) Yellow Sticker located on Driver's side near Propane tanks
Dry Weight: 6,788 lbs
Cargo Weight: 4,348 lbs
GVWR: 11,136 lbs

Both Yellow weight stickers has the correct Vehicle Information Number (VIN).

The question is which Yellow Weight Sticker is correct?
Dealers are authorized to change the information on the CCC labels. However, they are not allowed to change GVWR or GAWR.

Your figures are showing one GVWR under 10,000# and another over 10,000#. The regulations a trailer manufacturer builds to are different for over and under 10,000#. So, the statements made by FR when certifying the trailer are not covered for both conditions. In either situation FR has technically lied to NHTSA because of the over & under 10,000# conditions you have found. Look at the certification label for the correct GVWR.

You should report your findings to FR. If you’re not satisfied with their answers you should report your concerns to NHTSA. It may trigger a recall for conditions other owners are not aware of.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,793
This is definitely a contact Forest River moment. The GVWR shouldn't be different between the stickers!
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Dealers are authorized to change the information on the CCC labels. However, they are not allowed to change GVWR or GAWR.

Your figures are showing one GVWR under 10,000# and another over 10,000#. The regulations a trailer manufacturer builds to are different for over and under 10,000#. So, the statements made by FR when certifying the trailer are not covered for both conditions. In either situation FR has technically lied to NHTSA because of the over & under 10,000# conditions you have found. Look at the certification label for the correct GVWR.

You should report your findings to FR. If you’re not satisfied with their answers you should report your concerns to NHTSA. It may trigger a recall for conditions other owners are not aware of.
Wow didn't notice that. My dry weight was different between in one on the door and the by the propane tanks.

What is different they have to do if the GVWR is over 10,000?
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Wow didn't notice that. My dry weight was different between in one on the door and the by the propane tanks.

What is different they have to do if the GVWR is over 10,000?
The big concern is the certification label. It has the target GVWR that the trailer manufacturer set. Once the GVWR was set at 10,000# or less the vehicle manufacturer then applied the regulations/standards for that weight class.

IMO the vehicle manufacturer cannot build a trailer using a set of rules for a designated weight class and then use another official label showing another weight class was also used. It’s clearly a violation of the vehicle certification process. Also, IMO, it was an involuntary mistake on Forrest River’s part and once they are made aware of the situation they will correct it even if they have to do a recall on their self, which is how most are initiated anyhow.

On edit: The reference below is a picture of a FR certification label & CCC information label I took at a RV show.

Below is the official statement the vehicle manufacturer MUST make on the certification label. It is also forwarded to whoever in the DOT that preserves such documentation.

“This vehicle conforms to all applicable U. S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date of manufacturer shown above.”

Notice on the CCC label that the units dry weight (UVW) when added to the maximum cargo load does not exceed the units GVWR. When dealers add options that require a CCC load capacity change those weights are deducted from the manufacturer’s established cargo weights. The GVWR is not changed.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29908
__________________

__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.