Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So, bottom line, all the Forest River factory sticker bashing has been de-bunked?
LOL. Essentially.

(If we ignore the stuff that we add to the camper! )

Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
LOL. Essentially.

(If we ignore the stuff that we add to the camper! )
How could it possibly include what the dealer or others add on after it leaves Forest River?

When we toured the factory in Aug, weighting the unit was the last thing they did to the trailers before they were pulled out the door.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

That trailer weight is only part of the story- to fully know what your tongue weight is, you have to do 2 more weighings. One with the camper attached, but without the WDH engaged. And then one with just the truck only. It's best to do all 3 at a time (even if you do have to bend the rules a little and drop your trailer when you're not supposed to).
I wasn't really interested in the tongue weight as all my storage is over the tongue and I am very careful with my loading. I did my WDH setting by measuring my wheel wells with and without the TT. I mainly wanted to check my axle weights.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How could it possibly include what the dealer or others add on after it leaves Forest River?

When we toured the factory in Aug, weighting the unit was the last thing they did to the trailers before it was pulled out the door.
Magic Balls. I thought all the guys at FR had magic balls and could tell what we would load.

Point taken- I didn't write what I meant. You're right- the stickers shouldn't be bashed. They're pretty spot on. Heck, in the case of advertising- even the dry weight was pretty well spot on with what my camper was delivered with. Definitely confirmed.

I meant that the numbers and whole weighing process gave a lot of credence to the point that using the dry weights of stuff (if your goal is to stay within ratings (aka lawyer stickers)) is a crap-shoot. In my case, the pin weight numbers were 500-700 pounds different when loaded up.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I wasn't really interested in the tongue weight as all my storage is over the tongue and I am very careful with my loading. I did my WDH setting by measuring my wheel wells with and without the TT. I mainly wanted to check my axle weights.
Understood.

I think there was more in my head than came out in my post-- my thinking is as much for the next guy who wants to use your numbers are guidance (assuming that's what mjones12 wanted), having just the truck + camper total numbers is only part of the picture.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #16

"Magic balls???"

I hope you meant crystal balls. I think "Magic balls" are something else again!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight