Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

Weights listed on Cardinal brochures

We are new to the Forest River line. We are close to ordering a Cardinal 3850RL. Not sure that I understand the weights that are shown on the brochure. The hitch weight is obtained from subtracting the GAWR from the GVWR.

Has anyone out there actually weighed their 5th wheel? Since we are new to the Cardinal line, didn't know how to interpret the weights.

We are towing with a Chevy 2500 HD and wanted to make sure we are not over our payload capacity.
cardinalrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

My guess is that it will be way over a 3/4 ton's payload.

16k gvw will be more like 3-3500 pin weight.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Grape Escape

1 ton perhaps dually for sure.
No way are you going to tow that with a 3/4 ton within truck's limits
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Always Learning

First, I don't have a Cardinal and haven't weighed one (obviously ). But, let me give you my not so humble opinion on the topic.

You'll never see the dry/unladen vehicle weight. The moment you opt for the first option, you've already increased that. The advertised weight of my camper is 11,800 pounds. After options and as ordered, the yellow sticker on my camper is 12,240. Last week, with my first trip of the season (and first time I weighed), I came in at 13,840 but that was without propane in the tanks and limited food and water onboard.

What I'm trying to get at is that the only weight that matters is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). If you know you're truck is capable of that- then you won't exceed your ratings when the camper isn't loaded to the gills.

A fifth wheel's pin weight is usually 20-25% of the trailer's weight. Though, depending on the floodplan (like mine), it can be lower or higher. I actually only have about 16% pin weight.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

I realize if the camper is loaded to max weight, it would be overloaded. Our current camper has a GVWR of 13K, but with all of our stuff, our actual weight is 11,620 with a pin of 2640 and that includes full tanks.

It just appeared to me, the hitch weights in the brochure are overstated
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalrancher View Post
We are new to the Forest River line. We are close to ordering a Cardinal 3850RL. Not sure that I understand the weights that are shown on the brochure. The hitch weight is obtained from subtracting the GAWR from the GVWR.

Has anyone out there actually weighed their 5th wheel? Since we are new to the Cardinal line, didn't know how to interpret the weights.

We are towing with a Chevy 2500 HD and wanted to make sure we are not over our payload capacity.
The hitch weight on the specs page is 20% of the unloaded vehicle weight (12,324 lbs).

Given that you'll likely add 1,500 - 2,000 pounds of stuff in options, propane, batteries and your stuff. I think a realistic weight is going to be something like 13,824 - 14,324. Using the same 20% calculation, that gives you a likely pin weight around 2,800-2,900 lbs. Could be lower, could be higher- depending on what you load, obviously.

The other thing that really surprised me was when I weighed, I lost a good thousand pounds of payload capacity in my truck to my family's weight, our stuff, our hitch, bed cover and the options I added to the truck. What was 4,200 pounds of capacity dropped to 3,100 pounds.

I can't tell you you'll be over payload capacity or not. I will say, off the cuff and with raised eyebrows - I'd be surprised if a 3/4 ton vehicle is going to be within all of its ratings pulling a 40' FW.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #7

I was looking for opinions. THANKS for the input.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalrancher View Post
I was looking for opinions. THANKS for the input.
(I'm not sure how to write this without sounding snotty but surely don't mean it that way! )

Opinions on what...?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #9

No at all!! SORRY!! What I wanted to say, I appreciated all the opinions.

Thanks