Old 03-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Weights of tiny homes

While watching the TV show "Tiny Homes", I was noticing that they were constructing them on what appeared to be a fairly standard twin axle trailer frame. They do not seem to mention the duty of the trailers.

What surprised me was that they were using standard house framing techniques; like using 2x4 construction, plywood sheathing for the outside walls and roof and Sheetrock for interior walls and ceilings. They then used typical roofing shingles and double pane windows. It was amazing the amount of wood they used in the framing. One tiny home even had tile in the bathroom and a large tub.

All this got me to thinking about the weight of the trailer when they are done and how heavy these things must be. I always felt that the reason our RV's are so fragile is that they cannot use heavy duty items in them because they need to keep the weight down. Everything needs to be a bit thinner and lighter than most of us would like.

They never really seem all that concerned with weight. It is all about space but never really about the weight. Here in RV world that is all we think about. How much cargo can I carry? Will I overload the trailer? We have all these concerns and we are only going on vacation for most likely less than a few weeks. These people have everything they own in there and counting. It has to weigh quite a bit.

I sure wonder how these axles and tires hold up to all the weight.

If anything, the show is interesting and highlights how one can live in a house on wheels.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
There was another thread about this awhile back and some feel that once the house it towed to the site where they set up they are not moved much or far.

None I have see have shown water or waste tanks nor have they been mentioned.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Some people use them for travel, but primarily they seem to be stationary. The weight should be a consideration, and I know from the Tumbleweed people that they will tell you how much trailer you'll need for each model of their homes, but I'm not sure about the others. When we looked at a couple of models they told us to be sure about the capacity of the trailer once we picked a model (we have not yet made that decision, but it's still on the books) so that we did not have issues after construction.

As far as construction goes, there is a lot more bracing and design for wind in the plans that we reviewed than it sounds like went into what you saw. I don't think that standard framing would handle the stress associated with moving something like that at more than a crawl, and even then I'd be skeptical of the tile and tub surviving intact. The shingles, once they have been in the sun for a short time, would be OK with high wind (ours in Florida stayed on through three cat-3 hurricanes, so highway speeds would be OK I think). That said, once they get some age on them it would be a different story. I've seen a cat-1 peel an old roof like a banana...

- R
1975 Westfalia (VW)
2014 Rockwood A122
WrongWayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote