Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Bilcin, my truck is the same. The sum of the GAWRs is more than the GVWR. The GVWR will be based on the weakest part - axles, wheels, tires, chassis, suspension, etc. Of course some people swear the GVWR is set by lawyers.

In my case, I beefed up the suspension with an extra leaf spring and I replaced the stock P tires with LT tires, but neither increases my GVWR. It does improve the performance though.
That is kind of what I was thinking with the difference in weight. Thanks!
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
Bilcin,

The GCWR takes into consideration the weakest point in your drive train including suspension components, wheels, tires etc that came with that vehicle from the factory. Even though your GAWR may be more than the GVWR it technically does not mean you could "safely" exceed the GVWR. If your Excursion had come with a heavy duty payload option such as heavier wheels, tires, or heavy duty suspension components then your GVWR could have very well been placarded higher. This is a common practice where they will place axles on a vehicle that have a rating higher than what the vehicle's GVWR amounts to. Then, as that vehicle is built, it's GVWR gets limited to the suspension and drivetrain components that are installed on the assembly line.

My F150 is this way. The combination axle rating is higher than the GVWR of the truck. Could you exceed this GVWR ? Many do...I would not want to by very much, even though my suspension components have been upgraded, including air bags. It still does not give me "legal" authorization to do so however.
Was just on a Ford Tech sight and got basically the same info that you just posted. Thanks for your expertise!
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scales