Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Whadda ya think ?

Wife and I are planning a short trip to get out of town before I start a new job.

The trip is a 30 mile run to the base of the mountain then up from 3500ft to 9000ft in 20 miles of steep climbing and lots of switchbacks.

So here is my plan. Load a 1000# UTV in the truck. Use a 12" hitch extension and a regular ball. No sway control or weight distributing hitch because of all the windy roads.
I have firestone air bag helpers as well.

Truck is a '01 F150 7700 package 5.4 and 3:73 gears. Trailer is a Forest River 25DS with a hitch weight of 400# and a dry weight of 4200#.

I used to use the extender with a big pop up like a BR23SC with a 600# ATV on the trailer deck and the 1000# UTV in the truck bed. Pulled it OK anywhere I went.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Am I correct that your truck has the HD payload package with a GVWR of 7700 lbs?

It sounds like you'll be right up there in payload capacity. Do you have air bags on the truck to help level it with the weight of the ATV?

I admit that I don't understand why you'd opt to not use the W/D and sway control...the windy roads wouldn't prevent their use.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

Yep, got air bags on the truck and the W/D hitch and sway bar will be carried along if needed. This road up Mt. Graham is 20+ miles of switchbacks with a rapid rise in elevation.
For reference Delco Moraine used this road as a test bed back when they were experimenting with non asbestos brake lining materiels. Run to the top and then back down watching the instruments reading the brake temps. This road has a greater elevation change from valley floor to the top than Pikes Peak. And it is downright cool and beautiful when you get on top.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Blackrock,
Can you explain your concerns over why you wouldn't run with your WDH?

More importantly, can you tell us what your Ford's hitch rating is without the WDH? I "believe" its limited to 600lb tongue weight. Dependig on how much you load into your trailer (cargo, water, propane, batteries, etc), you will be well over the dry weight of 4,200lbs and your TW may be over your truck's hitch rating without the WDH.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Blackrock,
Can you explain your concerns over why you wouldn't run with your WDH?

More importantly, can you tell us what your Ford's hitch rating is without the WDH? I "believe" its limited to 600lb tongue weight. Dependig on how much you load into your trailer (cargo, water, propane, batteries, etc), you will be well over the dry weight of 4,200lbs and your TW may be over your truck's hitch rating without the WDH.
You could have something there. That is why I am bouncing ideas around you fellers.
I will have one full propane tank plus two grp 24 batteries on the front.
So I will see how the W/D hitch setup will work on the windy road. I know I will be either at max or a little over for this short haul. I wouldn't want to go across country set up like this. But I want to take EVERYTHING up there in one trip. Last time my daughter drove my CJ5 up for us all to run around in.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Got ya! Sounds like a great trip.

The reason I would use my WDH (besides staying within your truck's hitch rating) is to also add more weight to the front axle. I find that running without the WDH will take off too much weight and the steering becomes too light for my taste.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

I put over 300K miles on an '02 F-150-7700. I believe you will be OK if you use the WDH. I pulled large portable generators to mountaintop radio sites all over central New Mexico in nasty weather, with lots of weight in the bed. I am sure I never had 1000# in the bed, though. The generators had a 300# TW.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

We are back home after a great trip up Mt Graham. Weighed out at 12,650# total and the truck pulled that load up to around 9,000 ft elevation with no problem. We had 10 miles of dirt mountain road that was pretty rough in places but the trailer took it real well. Had fun running the trails with the Polaris Ranger.