Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I must be missing something here but my B&W did not cost anywhere near that price to get the hitch installed. What am I missing
I am guessing it is the convenience of having the bed prepped so you do not have to drill holes or lift fifth wheel in or out of truck bed.
Simplicity of just attaching ball and chain supports (less work and lighter),
Just my opinion. Others may have a different point of view.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have seen factory installed hitches and personally I had rather have a B&W

I know my B&W looks beefier but I feel the beef every time I take it out or put it back in. The wife only has use of one arm so it’s just me. If I had extra money I would go for something lighter myself
Old 11-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #43

Just towed around 200 miles yesterday got 8.6 mpg no huge difference in ride quality between ford SRW and the Ram dually overall still happy with new truck but thought maybe better mileage or some moment where I could say wow what a difference
Old 11-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
Have you seen the new 2019 Chevy? They are actually prepping the 3500 dually with fifth wheel attachment. Approximate cost at $9500 with attachments. Unknown if other manufacturers are doing the same. Had an opportunity to see this truck and take pictures. See photo.
Bought one just like it a month ago and already have 1600 miles on it. The rear end dropped just 1” with the tongue weight of 1700 lbs of my 2018 8528rkws. This was a huge step up from our 2015 f250 gasser. The ride is better and it tows the 5ver like it is not even there. The 5th wheel/ gooseneck prep only added about $700 to the sticker. If I was in the market for one of these, I would not buy one without it. We have the ltz trim with the standard steel rims with very nice looking caps.. Something to keep in mind is that with this option, you can rotate all six tires, something you can’t do with the upgraded aluminum wheels.without dismounting some tires.
rmillermtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #45

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
6 years ago I bought a Montana 5er. I agonized over a DRW or SRW. I ended up with a SRW Ram 3500 because of parking issues, tire replacement cost issues drive thru issues, damaged rear fender flair issues and mostly, fitting it in my garage issues. Well I pulled that Montana for 6 years with the SRW and never had an issue even once. Never was I sorry I had the SRW. No problems ever. This year, I downsized to a new 26RKS from Outdoors RV and I'm also getting a new 3500 and it WON'T be a dually! After 6 years with an even bigger and heavier Montana behind me, there's just no way I'm putting up with the headaches of a dually! My new trailer has a dry pin weight of 1995 and a max trailer weight of under 12K so both are considerably less than my previous Montana, and I didn't need a dually with that one. I see people saying "night and day difference" and I just scratch my head wondering what the heck they must be pulling?!? I suppose at some weight point I too would want a dually, but I'll never get there. Heck the Montana was too big for my lifestyle! I just couldn't get it into the places I love to visit. So I agree a dually is smart at some point, but that point was beyond my Montana 3400RL somewhere.

My trailer is 43' 8" and 16,000 pounds so YEAH its night and day difference.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #46

Well finished my trip almost 600 miles round trip. Enjoyed my ride I did find the dually a smoother ride on some of the rougher roads. I avoided on way there. According to owners manual my mpg will increase once broke in, however fighting a 18-20 mph head wind doing 70 on interstate 20. I wasn’t expecting anything respectful but was surprised to see 8.2. I do wish the fuel funnel worked better with the big boy pumps in back it gets tiring holding the handle. The previous truck I could squeeze and leave, but on the Ram it keeps kicking out. I did miss the extra power though when fighting the wind. I figure if that’s my worst complaint then I will be happy.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I know my B&W looks beefier but I feel the beef every time I take it out or put it back in. The wife only has use of one arm so it’s just me. If I had extra money I would go for something lighter myself

I only have me to lift the hitch out of the bed of truck, DW would laugh at that. I leave the hitch hooked up to the pin box. With the latch handle in place I install a pad lock on the handle and I use the front jacks to lift the hitch and then just drive out. I leave the hitch hanging by the pin box, if the pin box can pull 15,000lbs down the road it can hold up two hundred pounds. No one is going to unlock the hitch as I have the key in my pocket for the pad lock. Works for me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires