Old 10-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

What a difference two extra tires make

So I just bought a new dually it has less torque and less horsepower than my single wheel 1ton , but 2500 pounds more payload. Both trucks are base models with same engine displacement both auto. I know there’s more to the payload formula than I I just mentioned but 2500 is a huge jump in payload I wouldn’t be surprised if some 3/4 ton trucks had a payload of 2500 or less. Which means that two extra wheels give me an extra truck load of payload. Also means that when I do finally tow with it. That will be the first time in 4 years and 3 trucks that I won’t be overweight. If all my other trips were worry free I can’t wait gonna be interesting to see the difference everyone talks about any way just my two cents

moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
So I just bought a new dually it has less torque and less horsepower than my single wheel 1ton , but 2500 pounds more payload. Both trucks are base models with same engine displacement both auto. I know there’s more to the payload formula than I I just mentioned but 2500 is a huge jump in payload I wouldn’t be surprised if some 3/4 ton trucks had a payload of 2500 or less. Which means that two extra wheels give me an extra truck load of payload. Also means that when I do finally tow with it. That will be the first time in 4 years and 3 trucks that I won’t be overweight. If all my other trips were worry free I can’t wait gonna be interesting to see the difference everyone talks about any way just my two cents
Did you go back in years surprise that you have less torque and Power. And yes I agree a dually is nice to haul and Tow with.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Love my dually for heaver loads but 2500 tows lighter loads much more comfortable.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Did you go back in years surprise that you have less torque and Power. And yes I agree a dually is nice to haul and Tow with.

No went from 2016 f350 swd to Ram 3500 Dwd I was surprised myself that the numbers were lower I didn’t get the high output Cummings with ansein transmission.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
Love my dually for heaver loads but 2500 tows lighter loads much more comfortable.

I believe you but I will say the two most surprising aspects is the ride in my opinion is smoother by a lot and turning radius is way better.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

We have a 2016 CC 38FL6. Given the size of the trailer we had no choice but to go with the dually. We have a 2014 Ram 3500 and LOVE it! It has the Cummins Diesel and auto trans and we have had zero problems with it. It's a quad cab so the turning radius isn't great, but I gladly took that to not only feel but to be safe towing. I cringe every time I see a big 5er being pulled by a truck that's too small. That's an accident waiting to happen. Too many posts I've read brag about pushing the limits of cargo capacity, towing capacity, etc. With the dually you get two more tires, heavier axle, heavier brakes...why not? Enjoy yours!
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Congratulations on your purchase. The comfort level you will feel will be well worth the added two tires. I have a nice dually as well and if and when I need to replace it, it will be with another dually...Period.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

I'm on my third F350 dually, I had an '86, and '94 only has 572k on it. My last one is a '13 F350, 6.7, auto, 4:10 rear, manual 4X4, flatbed long wheel base. It tows my Wildcat 30' 5er like it isn't behind me. I don't really worry about weight as I have the max GVW package, and my tags are good for 24,599#. The ride is a little stiff but I have always hated a mushy suspension. I have never regreted buying a dually and all but the '13 were daily drivers.

I hope you enjoy your new one as much as I have enjoyed mine, I really like the fact that I have enough truck to tow almost anything I want, feeling comfortable that the truck can handle it, without worry.

Ben
gentle_1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Dual tire p/u's are great for towing and other hauling but they suck when it comes to all of the truck into a single parking space.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
The Cummins may make less torque and HP but when you tow with you will see that it is in a whole different category. Its not as fast as the Ford but it makes the torque so much earlier.

koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires