Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Having been in the truck repair business for over 50 years I have never seen a good Ford Diesel since the ones that were built in the Dagenham plant. The International ones and the current Ford ones are a nightmare. I belong to the International Troubleshooter Network and I read it daily, the number one vehicle that has engine trouble is a Ford Diesel. I know there are loyalists and lots of denial out there but they don’t have the experience.
I work for the DOT and all our Ford Diesels are a pain in the butt . Go to any ford service center and there is always a Superduty or 5 with the cabs off . I know they all have their issues but of the thousands of trucks we have the Superdutys are hands down the worst . BTW If any of you are thinking medium duty to pull your big ole gigantic toy hauler id advise staying away from International too .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #22

I didn't really need a new truck, but the opportunity came up, so we test drove several. Narrowed it down to a 2017 F250 6.7 or a 2017 F350 SRW 6.7, in a couple of days. Both drove similarly in my opinion. I found a F350 with the camper package that includes the rear sway bar. I felt like it drove better than the 250 or the other 350.

I didn't opt for the crazy large moonroof because of a past experience with my F150. Something I don't need and it is one more thing that can break. Lariat trim got me the options I wanted.

When it was first introduced, I laughed at the bed step. Now that I am older, I really appreciate it. I would't buy a truck without it ever again. The new design is waaayyyy better than the old design.

I hate the 15K hitch. Or at least the chain attachment points, of the 15K hitch. Just a stupid design that makes it really difficult to attach any trailer chain to.

The new cab/interior is one reason I found for choosing the 2017 over a new 2016. Personal preference obviously, but I like the 2017 better than the 16 and it definitely has more room room inside. Plus my aftermarket F150 floor mats just fit right in place in the F350. It is pretty much the exact same cab now.

I agree with the comment about the bed height, but I think a little research and product selection would help there.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #23

BTW I'm a Duramax guy and we have our issues too I'm on my third set of injectors.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #24

Change the oil, add Cetane to the fuel, change the fuel filter and you should be good to go. I haul my fifth wheel around the Rockies like it is flat ground. I can push my friends with gas engines up over the pass while towing.

I had a Duramax that I towed with but also plowed some snow. I started having issues with it; I suspect from the plowing. All the brands have their following and opinionated drivers. If you maintain it and don't abuse it; any of them will be good.

You will love the power and the braking, and the mileage is better than gas but the fuel is more expensive.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
I work for the DOT and all our Ford Diesels are a pain in the butt . Go to any ford service center and there is always a Superduty or 5 with the cabs off . I know they all have their issues but of the thousands of trucks we have the Superdutys are hands down the worst . BTW If any of you are thinking medium duty to pull your big ole gigantic toy hauler id advise staying away from International too .
Never saw a dealer without a service department, ALL vehicles need work....
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #26

About all trucks have problems, someone told me that you have a truck payment or spend your money fixing your truck. That's about right. The only problems I have had with my 3500 Silverado is DEF. Truck has been great, not so with the DEF.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #27

I live in a town that is in a river valley so which ever way I come home I have pretty steep descent. The engine braking on my 2016 F350 DRW is phenomenal and has most likely saved me a set of pads and disks already. I did recently find that if I'm in 4x4 the engine brake light flashes on/off but I don't appear to be able to find out what that means. The DRW with the 8' bed tows our 40' Cedar Creek without a problem - towed it clear across Canada and returned via the US this year and planning to do the same next summer. I have the oil and fluids changed when required and since owning it now for two years, absolutely no problem - although just had to have a wheel alignment check and adjustment. Good on diesel and DEF. The only problem I do experience it that I can't park it in the covered multi-storey lot at work because it is too high for the 6'06" headroom clearance.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #28

Quote:
I would buy the Ram, they are more sought after than any other truck, selling prices for used Cummins powered truck have always exceeded Blue Book. Buying and using vehicles is a limited View , when you take them apart and see the difference then you know. The simplicity and brute strength of the Cummins is not matched in the light truck market , the new Fords have way too many moving parts and are destined for problems, forget about 15 months of ownership, would you be happy with that time period for the price you paid.
As Ford the irrelevant info supplied about the gas engine Fords some were good engines some were not, for example, 272,292,312 v8s and 223, 144,170 in-line 6s had very poor oiling systems and Ford c-4, c-6 and several other Ford automatics were the worst or the bunch. Like I said you can be a loyalist as long as you don’t have to work on it.
IATN is troubleshooter website, mechanics around the world post problems that are plaguing them and ask for help from others.
Could be why RAM has less than 9% of the market. Ford has the largest share with Chevy and GMC combined a close second but individually still way ahead of RAM. Not knocking Cummins or RAM. They make a great 1/2 ton but do not have the engine of the EB. I'd not trade my F350 for any RAM. Just personal opinion but seems the majority of buyers agree.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #29

The OP asked a specific question and like many other questions people ask that have the word “TRUCK” in it they always end up going sideways in a battle over who drives what and why it’s better. What a shame.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #30

The best cars and trucks ever built never got market share mostly because of style, and over rated advertising, you can talk about market share all you want but it won’t keep those engines running. There are several companies making kits and parts to install both 4 and 6 cylinder versions of Cummins into other vehicles but there are not anyone I know of making kits or parts for installation of Ford Diesels into other vehicles, strange with that market share there must be plenty of engines available from wrecks.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:21 AM   #31

Powerstroke Forum

I don't have a Ford Powerstroke. I do have a Duramax and have learned SOOOO much from a forum for that machine/engine/transmission combination.

My friend has a Powerstroke. He recommends the following forum for you to join and begin yoru learning experience.

PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I can tell you, towing is towing, regardless of which machine you sit in. A heavy MH is the same as towing a heavy trailer or 5er.

Get on some forum and learn how to operate your machine while ascending and descending grades. You will LOVE the diesel, but there aer things you can do to hurt it and/or your transmission, so take the time to learn and you will have a lifetime of towing fun.

Also, Maintenance is vital to keeping it healthy. Maintain it correctly and it will give you 500,000 miles of service.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
BTW I'm a Duramax guy and we have our issues too I'm on my third set of injectors.
Im betting yoru Duramax is an LB7 or LLY. Injectors are a Known Issue with them. Beginning in 05 with the LBZ engine, that problem went away.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
The OP asked a specific question and like many other questions people ask that have the word “TRUCK” in it they always end up going sideways in a battle over who drives what and why it’s better. What a shame.
AMEN, the OP asked a question, He specifically stated he DID NOT want to know about Cummins or Duramax. WHY respond if you do not wish to help him
Old 12-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #34

I think people do it because Fords diesel is not a true diesel. It's a converted gas engine.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I think people do it because Fords diesel is not a true diesel. It's a converted gas engine.
Whether that is true or not, does not negate the idea that the OP has already decided on a Powerstroke, and I had the impression he already had one particular vehicle in mind.

He wanted information regarding that engine. Any other post is NOT responsive to his request.

Im a HUGE Duramax/Allison fan, my friend has two Powerstrokes and would never buy another. That does not change my opinion regarding the inevitable debate that erupts in threads. Leave them to their own threads and simply answer the OP's question.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Interestingly, we started our process at Raceway knowing nothing other than we needed a bigger truck.

I always start at dealerships I DO NOT want to buy from and finish up where I do. That way I know what the competition is offering and I always feel much better about the deal I got at my favorite dealer.

I have always gotten the best deal from my favorite salesman at our local GMC dealer (bought 5 cars and trucks from him over the years), but I still visit several GMC and Chevy dealers in the area first before I stop at his desk. He says he likes doing business with me because when I stop by, I usually have a check with me and am ready to buy when he hits my price.

I don't care a hoot which manufacturer you buy, its HOW I buy mine that I was trying to convey.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #37

Ford changed the design in 2018 I’m a big powerstroke fan. My 2000 F350 7.3 is still going strong after 345,000 miles.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I hope some of the following is helpful.

Get a F350. Diesel eats a lot of payload. F250 diesel is light on payload.

Get the Camper Package. If you tow a 5er, you'll want that anti-roll bar.

Get the Fifth Wheel Prep Package. Includes "in box" electrical plug.

Get the 3.55 rear axle ratio. Better in the mountains and exhaust braking.

Useful but not required.
Syn3 and larger screen. Very nice for cell phone connection and features.
BLISS Gives warning (including trailer) if someone is in blind spot.
Adaptive steering

Good luck. You will enjoy your new truck.

Bob
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
I know nothing about diesels. Yet I am drawn to the benefits of uphill power and downhill braking. We are contemplating the purchase of an F350 SRW with Powerstroke diesel. I generally know enough about vehicles to avoid buying blinker fluid or muffler bearings. Before I read about DEF on this forum I would have thought it to be another variation on blinker fluid.

Links to useful sites would be appreciated. Any and all commentary related to Ford Powerstrokes is also solicited. At this point, not interested in Cummins or Duramax.

Thanks in advance and a Happy, Prosperous and Safe New Year to all of you.
My son has one.. a 350 dually crew cab long bed.. It is a beast of a truck. His is a 17 though, not an 18. But I will say that it's just an incredible engine. He is a pipeline welder, and has 2500 pounds of welder in the bed of it full time and travels with it.. Just simply an awesome truck. Prior tp this he had a 13 f350 6.7 .. Wonderful trucks.. Gets good MPG as well.

(BTW I drive a ram 2500 cc lb 4x4) so I'm fairly impartial!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #40

Quote:
I would buy the Ram, they are more sought after than any other truck, selling prices for used Cummins powered truck have always exceeded Blue Book. Buying and using vehicles is a limited View , when you take them apart and see the difference then you know. The simplicity and brute strength of the Cummins is not matched in the light truck market , the new Fords have way too many moving parts and are destined for problems, forget about 15 months of ownership, would you be happy with that time period for the price you paid.
As Ford the irrelevant info supplied about the gas engine Fords some were good engines some were not, for example, 272,292,312 v8s and 223, 144,170 in-line 6s had very poor oiling systems and Ford c-4, c-6 and several other Ford automatics were the worst or the bunch. Like I said you can be a loyalist as long as you don’t have to work on it.
IATN is troubleshooter website, mechanics around the world post problems that are plaguing them and ask for help from others.
As the owner of a ram, I believe them, AND their dealer network to be Junk,
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford