Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #181

I guess we should know this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...es-were-rigged
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #182

I still think 300-400k on a modern diesel is possible but only if the exhaust is lightened and the EGR reliability is enhanced.

DPF: Regenerations takes the exhaust up to about 1,200 deg F and that heat eventually works its way back to the engine block. Think dropped exhaust valves over the long term. Regeneration causes fuel dilution which isn't good for engine internals.

EGR: Does anybody think that putting dirty exhaust gasss back into the intake of the engine is good for it?

DEF: Not a bad thing except that added complexity means more stuff is available to break. My DEF pump on my '15 F350 failed at 18,000 miles and dealer said it was from "contamination".

I figure that making exhaust and EGR enhancements is less worse of a crime then receiving classified email on my private home server.

I live in a state that has emissions testing and visual inspection. Putting the exhaust back on is a small price to pay to prolong an expensive engine.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
I am on the LEFT coast. You're a dog gone genius! Just kidding ya. But it is my understanding that all "lower 48" trucks have the same computer programming. It wasn't my living in the communist state of CA that caused my truck problems. It was the Ford computer programming that rendered my 6.7 diesel truck inoperable. Due to strict "lower 48 state" rules.

And yeah, I was born and raised in CA, The left coast. I definitely don't belong here anymore. That's the only political comment i have to share. Except for maybe... God Bless. But soon, saying that will get me arrested here.
I was born in CA. LA actually, Fifth generation Native Angelino. Was raised in N CA though.

Got out before it was too late. That state bears Little resemblance to the state I knew growing up now!

Pity the libs can't understand what the Founding Fathers actually envisioned for this great nation:

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
"Thomas Jefferson"
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #184

Ford Superduty, Gas or Deisel?

All the typical bashing. IMHO. Compared to early models, today's HD\SD trucks all have so much HP\Torque that it really boils down to what model floats your boat. They are all extremely capable trucks. If Ford is your pick, then I would go with it and try to find the highest rated dealer in your area.
Good luck and happy trails.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I still think 300-400k on a modern diesel is possible but only if the exhaust is lightened and the EGR reliability is enhanced.

DPF: Regenerations takes the exhaust up to about 1,200 deg F and that heat eventually works its way back to the engine block. Think dropped exhaust valves over the long term. Regeneration causes fuel dilution which isn't good for engine internals.

EGR: Does anybody think that putting dirty exhaust gasss back into the intake of the engine is good for it?

DEF: Not a bad thing except that added complexity means more stuff is available to break. My DEF pump on my '15 F350 failed at 18,000 miles and dealer said it was from "contamination".

I figure that making exhaust and EGR enhancements is less worse of a crime then receiving classified email on my private home server.

I live in a state that has emissions testing and visual inspection. Putting the exhaust back on is a small price to pay to prolong an expensive engine.
I hope you didn't pay for that DEF pump, because your dealer was probably lying to you. I had the DEF pump replaced on my 15 F250 at 18Kish as well. Dealer said there was a bad batch of pumps. Had something to do with voltages it was seeing versus what was being sent???? Can't recall exactly what he said since it's been so long- but I do remember him showing me all sorts of readouts on a laptop he had connected. I even think that part of the time the problem with DEF pumps is with the new diesels sitting on lots. Supposedly the DEF will go bad rather quickly if not stored at room temp. How's that supposed to work on a truck that's been sitting on a lot for 6 months that you crank up and run on what would clearly now be bad DEF?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #186

Take it from experience. Had F250 4x4 6.2 gas loved the truck, worried going down big hills. Bought a Ser F350 2014 6.7 diesel love it, can use cruise no problem stopping, twice the gas mileage. You will not be disappointed.
raceready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #187

Ford makes the most trucks. Mostly 1/2 ton. It is a dandy.

Ram makes the most diesels and has likely the best engine. Unfortunately it comes with a Dodge truck.

As I understand it Ford and GM do not sell a lot of diesels. Their list of issues is long. Most work trucks are Ram 3500's with the Cummins engine. A very old design.

My wife loves her Ram Diesel. 2016.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Ford makes the most trucks. Mostly 1/2 ton. It is a dandy.

Ram makes the most diesels and has likely the best engine. Unfortunately it comes with a Dodge truck.

As I understand it Ford and GM do not sell a lot of diesels. Their list of issues is long. Most work trucks are Ram 3500's with the Cummins engine. A very old design.

My wife loves her Ram Diesel. 2016.
Ram has about 9% of the truck market. If they only sold diesels they would still be far behind GM and Ford. Besides as you said it really is a Dodge truck.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Besides as you said it really is a Dodge truck.
Please tell me again the difference between a Ram and Dodge truck. Sounds like a juicy secret...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

Pity the libs can't understand what the Founding Fathers actually envisioned for this great nation:

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
"Thomas Jefferson"
Well said brother. Good quote.

Not to change the thread, but...

This state (CA) is so far left it's come full circle and is eating itself. Small business, forget about it. It will look like a third world country in a couple decades after the people that work leave. Not enough money to keep the roads up. Infrastructure be damned, gotta help those that don't want to work and the special interests. It's out of control for those of us who Love the USA and what it's done for us, and the world.

My problem is that when the misses and I retire, the nearby states are not wanting us exiles. Too many conservative former Californians are showing up with too much money in hand and ruining the local real estate market for the locals. I get it. Lived in another state for awhile and one doesn't want to say that he's from CA. We may just get a PO box somewhere and live in the trailer on the road!
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #191

Quote:
Well said brother. Good quote.

Not to change the thread, but...

This state (CA) is so far left it's come full circle and is eating itself. Small business, forget about it. It will look like a third world country in a couple decades after the people that work leave. Not enough money to keep the roads up. Infrastructure be damned, gotta help those that don't want to work and the special interests. It's out of control for those of us who Love the USA and what it's done for us, and the world.

My problem is that when the misses and I retire, the nearby states are not wanting us exiles. Too many conservative former Californians are showing up with too much money in hand and ruining the local real estate market for the locals. I get it. Lived in another state for awhile and one doesn't want to say that he's from CA. We may just get a PO box somewhere and live in the trailer on the road!
Check out the Carolinas, esp NC
Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #192

I moved to North Central Arkansas and love it. Moved here from Orange County.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #193

Ford Superduty, Gas or Diesel?

As a final thought, you really need to have heavy haul\tow on regular basis in mind when you decide to buy a diesel truck. It is quite an investment. Dodge, Ford, or GM makes no difference in my mind. Again, it is just which manufacturer\model floats your boat. These trucks love to work and really do not like unloaded around town driving as a regular diet. Dodge has contracted with Cummins and Aisin to build a really special truck. I mean if you can't build the powertrain yourself, you should contract with the best in the business or what's the point. I would have to seriously consider one if I had not just paid off my Ford. I have no complaints or payments. My 2012 SuperDuty has been one awesome truck, successfully pulled everything I have hitched up to it and given me very few problems.
I would comment on driving 100mph+ with a 15k load behind you but I too keep it under 70mph. Just because you can does not mean you should.
Best of luck with your decision and happy, safe trails to all.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #194

Everyone claiming that a diesel pulls better than a gas engine is right. Now the question comes down to how someone persieves the values. Only the person themselves can answer that. The thing I wanted to point out that no dealer will tell you is the actual operating costs. Yes they get better fuel mileage but diesel is higher priced. So thats almost a wash. How about 15 qts of oil compared to 6. How about fuel filters, glowplugs problems, def stuff, the fact the diesel mechanic makes more per hour. The fact that it will spend more time with the dealer because there are less people that can work on them. If those considerations don't mater then diesel is for you. If those do then maybe a gas engine is for you. My job is not to make the descision for someone, its to give another perspective. I can only tell my experience as i respect others experiences.
Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
Everyone claiming that a diesel pulls better than a gas engine is right. Now the question comes down to how someone persieves the values. Only the person themselves can answer that. The thing I wanted to point out that no dealer will tell you is the actual operating costs. Yes they get better fuel mileage but diesel is higher priced. So thats almost a wash. How about 15 qts of oil compared to 6. How about fuel filters, glowplugs problems, def stuff, the fact the diesel mechanic makes more per hour. The fact that it will spend more time with the dealer because there are less people that can work on them. If those considerations don't mater then diesel is for you. If those do then maybe a gas engine is for you. My job is not to make the descision for someone, its to give another perspective. I can only tell my experience as i respect others experiences.
You forget the main reason ~~ NEED. Everyone has their threshold and mine is 10,000#. That number and lower a gasser with the proper payload capacity is fine. My last 5er loaded was about 12,500 and a 3/4 gasser was out of the question, 3/4 diesel was maxing payload. Bought the F350 diesel as the current 5er at nearly 15,000 it is 'needed'. If pulling a lightweight at 8000# or less I'd have a gasser. Even though just 2 of us and a small dog anything that weight is too small when spending 2 - 3 months at a time in it, 43' feels right.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #196

My son had a ford diesel and had nothing but trouble as did a friend that works with him. So I went with a GMC duramax diesel. Put 150,000 miles on and never a problem If you would like to hear more ford story's give me a call.

239 860-9356
Bob Gant
bgant4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #197
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
But my truck doesn't need a computer tech to diagnose, and won't leave me stranded if a $80 sensor fails.
Yes it does.

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #198
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
unfortunately it comes with a dodge truck
rotflmao 😁😁😁😁

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #199
Multi-Slacker

I want to thank everyone who responded. It has been much appreciated!

I can see upsides in the power, increased safety in downhill braking, safer fuel, and the ability to use truck stops as well as fuel mileage. Downsides are a huge increase in purchase cost, generally increased maintenance costs, diminution of payload, and emission control systems lack of reliability. Regardless of brand, it appears that there is always a possibility of 5 figure repair bills. For the Ford, in particular, the need to pull the cab for some repairs is a major turnoff as well as a cost thing. That last item most likely increases the rattle count immensely.

Therefore, I think we are back to looking at the gas engine again.

Tags
diesel, ford