Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

What do you think about breakaway cable

Break away brake cable being run through the safety chains . have notived winniebago doing this with all their TT's . maybe it's a dealer thing but seems odd to me they would do this
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Running the cable through the safety chains to prevent the cable from dragging?
I'm kinda from the thinking that the break away brake cable should be independent of the safety chains.
I use one of those springy red brake cables that wont drag on the ground.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I'm kinda from the thinking that the break away brake cable should be independent of the safety chains.
X2 springy red cable

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Quote:
I agree . I think running it through the safety chains is not a good idea . seems the TT could pop off break the hook and never pull the brake switch . i've seen 2 now where it was done through the chain and both times pulled out the brake a-way switch causing brakes to lock up when not needed and causing major damage to hubs and brakes
Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Junior Old Fart

Quote:
Some states require that the break away cable be separate from the safety chains and have a separate attachment to the tow vehicle.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Source for this fantastic, legendary, red springy cable?
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Source for this fantastic, legendary, red springy cable?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
Sham183

Not recommended. Break away cable regardless of design does not run through the chains. Defeats the purpose of the cable.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDunltd View Post
Some states require that the break away cable be separate from the safety chains and have a separate attachment to the tow vehicle.
It is still a separate cable than the safety chains or cables even if it is tangled up in them. As long as one end is attached to the TV and one end to the breakaway box if the trailer becomes completely separated it will pull it and activate the brakes, to bring the free trailer to a stop. I don't do it that way because I have to give my chains a few twists to keep them well off the ground. I suppose it is possible then if the cable was inside and it all failed in such a way to pinch the breakaway and cut it without pulling it. I do give the breakaway one wrap around the WHD bar as I connect it to the TV and that keeps it free but not hanging low.

I always thought it ironic you attach it to the same hitch usually. To me it would seem the most likely failure (mechanical, not operator error) that would cause the trailer to separate, would be the whole hitch coming off the TV. In that case everything is still perfectly attached as far as the now free trailer is concerned, and no brakes would be applied.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #10

The failure is usually the coupler.
Happened to my dad, bounced right off.... On a bridge... On the expressway. Scary stuff.

His coupler had 10s of thousands of miles on it, and was just worn. He replaced it, of course. Usually there's enough tongue weight, but just the right bounce......
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It is still a separate cable than the safety chains or cables even if it is tangled up in them. As long as one end is attached to the TV and one end to the breakaway box if the trailer becomes completely separated it will pull it and activate the brakes, to bring the free trailer to a stop. I don't do it that way because I have to give my chains a few twists to keep them well off the ground. I suppose it is possible then if the cable was inside and it all failed in such a way to pinch the breakaway and cut it without pulling it. I do give the breakaway one wrap around the WHD bar as I connect it to the TV and that keeps it free but not hanging low.

I always thought it ironic you attach it to the same hitch usually. To me it would seem the most likely failure (mechanical, not operator error) that would cause the trailer to separate, would be the whole hitch coming off the TV. In that case everything is still perfectly attached as far as the now free trailer is concerned, and no brakes would be applied.
That really depends on how it's run through the chains , when it'
s weaved i and out of every link it can 1. cause the chains to pull the cable out . seen this 3 times in the last couple weeks . 2. even if hooked to TV if weaved through the chains it could cause the cable to brake at the tv never pulling the pin out if the TT comes unhooked . running through safety chains is IMO a big no no
Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
The failure is usually the coupler.
Happened to my dad, bounced right off.... On a bridge... On the expressway. Scary stuff.

His coupler had 10s of thousands of miles on it, and was just worn. He replaced it, of course. Usually there's enough tongue weight, but just the right bounce......
But then the chains would still prevent separation of the trailer completely and therefore the breakaway wouldn't breakaway and the regular trailer brake controller would apply the brakes with the TV brakes. If the coupler came undone, and the chains were undone as well, it didn't "come undone" it was never connected in the first place and in that case I doubt the one thing they did right was to connect the breakaway cable but nothing else.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post

One of my next projects is to add a cable looped around a frame crossmember and running back to the rear bumper where I can attach breakaway cable to it. Will just zip tie any of this cable that sags up and out of the way. If a breakaway does occur the cable will be jerked tight, breaking zip ties and letting it pull straight on the switch pin.

While it's usually the coupler that fails, there was a period of time when actual drawbar on GM built pickups were failing.

In short, whatever you think will never break could well be the next thing to do so.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #14

This is very likely on topic that doesn't get the attention it deserves. To have the brakes come on unintentionally is one thing, not necessarily a good thing. But you do want them to come on if the trailer separates from the TV. Shouldn't the breakaway be set up so the ball isn't hooked, chains tight, the pin comes out of breakaway switch. The cable needs to be shorter than the chains when stretched out, assuming they are hooked in the same place.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #15
Site Team

I would not use it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

State laws will vary, obviously, but for a commercial vehicle federal regulations.. the break away system need to work, be in good working condition (cable not broken and tied in a knot for example), and be connected directly to the towing unit / trailer its connected to (in a double tow). No where does it say it cannot be through the safety chains. We all know, or can at least imagine, how regulated the commercial industry is..

Believe it or not, as a point of interest, in the federal world a semi trailer (like our tow behinds) does not even need safety chains. Only convertor dollys and full trailers need ONE chain / cable. Your state may require them but the feds do not (commercially).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
State laws will vary, obviously, but for a commercial vehicle federal regulations.. the break away system need to work, be in good working condition (cable not broken and tied in a knot for example), and be connected directly to the towing unit / trailer its connected to (in a double tow). No where does it say it cannot be through the safety chains. We all know, or can at least imagine, how regulated the commercial industry is..

Believe it or not, as a point of interest, in the federal world a semi trailer (like our tow behinds) does not even need safety chains. Only convertor dollys and full trailers need ONE chain / cable. Your state may require them but the feds do not (commercially).
Here.... anyway 5th wheel campers do not require safety chains, but goose necks do. Regular trailers & campers require one safety chain and no mention how to run the break away cable just has to have one.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Here.... anyway 5th wheel campers do not require safety chains, but goose necks do. Regular trailers & campers require one safety chain and no mention how to run the break away cable just has to have one.

Same here for PA, but we need 2 chains and they must be crossed.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
One of my next projects is to add a cable looped around a frame crossmember and running back to the rear bumper where I can attach breakaway cable to it. Will just zip tie any of this cable that sags up and out of the way. If a breakaway does occur the cable will be jerked tight, breaking zip ties and letting it pull straight on the switch pin.

While it's usually the coupler that fails, there was a period of time when actual drawbar on GM built pickups were failing.

In short, whatever you think will never break could well be the next thing to do so.
Used coated cable, made a loop around the frame's rear cross member. When not in used the cable tucks into the back of the receiver hitch out of sight.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #20

Cousin had a Hitch weld failure on his 28' TT about 8 years ago on I-80 out west. Felt it, saw it drop from rear view mirror. Watched it slide about 20' then flip into the air and crash onto the Interstate. Nobody hurt, no other accidents, but tied up the interstate for few hours.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, breakaway