Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #111

i went down the same rode i have alway had trucks mostley 1/2 tun that i always overloaded and pulled way to much weight with and never gave it a second thought the old truck 98 chevy 1/2ton which i still have, has 216,xxx miles on it and a 8.5 foot snow plow mounted to the front and that has become the so called farm truck but when we upgraded to a fifth
wheel i started looking at 3/4 ton and the decision gas or diesel how much do i pull how many miles do i drive maintanance cost,what to do started looking test driving, ended up going diesel could not be happier should have done it years ago it is well worth the extra cost to me
good luck

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #112

Did a lot of research three years ago when I bought my F150 6.2L 6 speed with Max Tow Package. Needed to stay as close to the ground as possible because my wife has mobility issues. The 7700GVW F150 with Max Tow was my choice. Also additional cost of purchase for diesel and ongoing higher cost of diesel fuel. We tow 15-20000km a year, in pretty rough terrain in BC and this summer Yukon and Alaska. I pull a 8000# T28RKS Wildcat and fully loaded with fuel etc, I'm still under 17100# allowable GCVW. 8-10 MPG towing, 19-22 empty.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
We have been researching diesel as well Doc. The RAM 3500 we are considering gets 15K between Oil Changes and has a 8 GAL DEF Tank. Depending on where we are going (we want to do the AlCan in '18) I certainly would have a spare 2 GAL DEF Can in the toolbox

I have heard that a full DEF tank (in the above truck) gets 10K Miles but towing factors, idling and so forth come into play to reduce that. Also the Cummings can use Biodiesel which supposedly refuses DEF consumption (and gives you better mileage)
Bio-fuel is not advantages to use in a modern diesel engine that's why the manufactures have limited the bio-content to depending on the year of the engine to a maximum of 20%. The early years for 2007.5 to 2012 for the Cummins was 5% maximum. Bio-fuel will cause regeneration issues with the DPF and lead to early clogging of the filter.

Another item Bio-fuel has less energy content than regular diesel fuel so you do not achieve better fuel mileage when using bio-fuel. Every time I am force to use BP diesel (only fuel around) they have the highest bio-fuel ratio. I loose fuel mileage especially when pulling my trailer and the engine is working harder. I have 8 years of fuel mileage data to back this up recording every type of fuel that I burn.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #114

Jim,

I'll also add that I don't think the recommended oil change interval is 15K when towing. I'm not a Cummins guy, so I won't swear to that. But people tend to quote the max interval while ignoring the severe duty interval that the majority of us should be going by.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #115

What helped you decide diesel or gas?

I had a Z71 gasses before I bought my Chevy 2500HD clacker... Since you are not asking for any tech responses i.e better millage, power, etc., the answer is simple. My clacker is 8x more fun to drive and pull than my gasser. And better yet, for the time being (in CO) fuel is about the same cost as gas. Heck, saying "fuel" is even more fun than saying "gas";-)

With all that said, I sure do miss the 69 F250 gasser 4x4 I had in High School.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Jim,

I'll also add that I don't think the recommended oil change interval is 15K when towing. I'm not a Cummins guy, so I won't swear to that. But people tend to quote the max interval while ignoring the severe duty interval that the majority of us should be going by.
I do oil analysis on my engine oil for from the Fleetguard oil lab and I have never had to change the oil and filter earlier than 15K. Samples are done at 7 to 8 K miles. In fact working the Cummins engine towing a heavy trailer is better for the engine rater than using it has a grocery getter.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #117

Easy decision for me. The truck I bought (see below) was more then enough TV for our current TT or anything we might consider trading up to. First and foremost, it was to be my daily driver. Please note that I work from home, so my "daily drive" usually turns out to be going on local errands a few times a week. Even though I didn't plan it this way, it has become the vehicle that my wife and I use for short trips, and weekend excursions, even though we have a Toyota Camry that get over double the gas mileage. The F250 is more comfortable for both me, as the driver, and 3 passengers than the Camry. And I don't have the added maintenance costs a diesel would have incurred. Just made sense fo us. YMMV
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Jim,

I have no idea of the OEM recommended intervals... I change at 5K and keep going

$65 vs 6000 cheap to change
Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #119

I honestly don't believe any of us are going 15k between oil changes. That is a sales tool people. Jeez
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #120

IMHO, if Bubba Joe Backyardmechanic tells me I can go 15K between changes, I'm gonna question that number. But if the MANUFACTURER gives me an oil change interval under a certain set of conditions, I should be able to take that as gospel.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a mechanic. I do not play one on TV. And I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas