Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
In May,'14, bought a new Chevy 2500HD gasser.....didn't want to spend $8000 for the diesel.....didn't need it with the TT we were mid Oct,'14....we had our eyes on a Silverback 33RL 5th wheel and you guessed it....we traded RVs and also traded pull with a 2500HD diesel....couldn't do it anymore with the to stay away from trade shows!!!!!

Lloyd & Kathy & Kit(17 yr old cat)
2014 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL
2016 Chevy 3500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab, DuraMax/Allison.
2014 - 38 nights/3500 mi.
2015 - 66 nights/6260 mi.
2016 - 33 nights/4707 mi.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
We encountered an extremely windy day pulling our ultralight through Arizona. When we had a hard time maintaining 45 mph as did some of the tractor trailer rigs. This experience told me I needed a new larger truck. I was one of those that was pulling at or slightly above the max of the truck. We like the length of our 30 footer because of the national parks we weren't interested in a longer rv. We had I probably could have gotten away with a gasser, but as someone else stated, the altitude really saps the power from a gasser. I can now tow with the cruise control on and the Allison transmission in the manual shift mode. It pulls so well that the DW has no issues driving with the rv behind us.

Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Duramax and Allison 6 speed
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I know this is very subjective and I am not in this for a gas v diesel debate.. Not interested with that.. There is a 200 page thread somewhere for that fight.

Question: What made you choose between gas or diesel? Namely I am interested if the amount you tow helped that choice and what that number was.

I am a year or so from replacing my 1500 with something else. I have 100,000 on it now and am looking to break 130 or 140 before moving on. I have already set my mind on a 2500 for replacement. I am only towing 9000 or so lbs but I want the heavier truck just because. That is about as close to emotional buying as I am getting. I tow 3500 to 4500 miles a year. The remainder of my driving is 80 to 90% highway, 60 miles to and from work all highway.

I will concede to the fact that a diesel will out power the 6.o but I am not sure if I tow enough weight or enough miles to justify the 7500 price increase and increase in maintenance and fuel cost. MPG is a SMALL consideration but I am of the theory if I need to worry about this then I need not have a trailer.

I was in the same boat as you when when I bought my #9000 Aviator. I had a 2004 2500LD Chevy 6.0 gas and that was really not enough truck for the trailer. I went to a 2012 Chevy 2500HD with another 6.0 gas and while the chassis was great for towing the 6.0 ran 3000 to 5000 rpms all the time except cruising on flat ground. I decided to trade that in a on slightly used 2012 Ram with a 6.7 Cummins diesel and difference in tow power is nearly unbelievable. Over twice the torque at 1/3 the rpms! You will get most of your diesel upgrade cost back if you resell but any repairs are likely to cost more. You daily 60 mile commute is well suited for diesel because the emissions systems need that highway time to work properly. To be sure, the 6.0 gas is a great engine with a low cost of ownership and will get you where you are going. But to me, difference between gas and diesel is like the difference between driving construction screws with a cordless drill or driving screws with a cordless impact driver. The cordless drill will get the job done but the impact driver makes it a whole lot more fun!

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
I chose the diesel for the constant power while towing, I always disliked the constant gear changing of gas, I don't get that with the diesel, I also like the mileage and while diesel is more expensive and maintenance is more I feel the benefits far outweigh any disadvantages.
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Difference in horsepower loss at altitude between diesel & gasser. Gasser will lose about 3% of HP for every 1,000 ft elevation gain. Diesel loses only about 1% per 1,000 ft of elevation. At 10,000 feet on some of the mountain passes that can make all the difference.

Also, the power & torque of the diesel makes towing so much more pleasant.
Hmmmm? Wouldn't any engine lose horsepower at altitude? There is less air and air pressure. I would think the difference would have more to do with naturally aspirated vs. turbo charged instead of diesel vs. gas. Even a turbo charged diesel vehicle would lose some power at altitude but, for comparison my Ecoboost is not down 20% at home and surely doesn't have a problem going higher.
madmaxmutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #16
It was an easy decision for us, prior to retirement we decided on and purchased our unit then looked at TV's. It was a no brainier based on size and weight it had to be a diesel.
Bill & Pam
2014 Trilogy 3650RE
2015 F350 PSD
mcnabbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
I weighed the same aspects as you are weighing. I went with a gas based on initial cost and the amount of towing I would do (about 3000 a year). Still dont regret that decision. If I would tow more, the diesel would have been the better choice.
2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #18
It was easy for me to go with a diesel engine option for the following reasons and I never looked back. In fact the wife's vehicle is a 2011 VW TDI a diesel engine vehicle also.

1. Ease of filling up with a diesel engine truck over a gas engine truck when pulling on the road with 5er attached.

2. Higher energy content of diesel fuel over gasoline.

3. Better fuel mileage when pulling with a diesel engine over a gas engine truck even around town driving without the trailer attached.

4. All trucks require maintenance and my cost through 82,000 miles breaks down to $0.07 a mile. This includes tire replacement and new brakes on the front.

5. My fuel cost through 82,000 miles is $0.026 a mile which included the very high fuel cost of 2008 when diesel fuel was over $4.00 a gallon. Diesel in my area today is about $0.20 cheaper now.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Difference in horsepower loss at altitude between diesel & gasser. Gasser will lose about 3% of HP for every 1,000 ft elevation gain. Diesel loses only about 1% per 1,000 ft of elevation. At 10,000 feet on some of the mountain passes that can make all the difference.

Also, the power & torque of the diesel makes towing so much more pleasant.
This is not a gas/diesel thing. It's a naturally aspirated versus forced induction thing. Since the majority of diesels are turbocharged whereas the majority of gas engines are naturally aspirated, it is a very common misconception that it is the fuel type. The Ford Ecoboost is a gas engine and does not experience power loss because of altitude.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #20
I had a 1500 GMC which we really liked but towing with it I felt that the trailer was too much for it. I use my truck for much more than just towing. We go to a remote cabin often in the fall/early winter and the truck sits in the bush at -35C or colder quite frequently and no place to plug in. I also do a lot of short drives which is not good for diesels. Service costs are somewhat higher with diesels but that really wasn't a major decision factor nor was price of fuel. I also considered that we wouldn't be making any really long trips with it until I retire and will likely need to get a newer truck at that time. I ended up choosing a Chev 2500HD 6.0l gas. It works well for us and at the price point I was willing to spend to. There are days when I think I need more truck but there are more days when I think it's too much truck, so I'm happy with my truck. It tows our #7500 TT not the TT pushing the truck and for the trips we have made so far it works well. Fuel economy is 19-21 mpg( imperial gallon) empty on the highway and on average 10 mpg towing the TT. I spoke to lots of people in campgrounds about tow vehicles so the fuel economy is what I expected. If we do go to a larger heavier trailer I won't go gas because the diesel is better suited especially in hilly terrain. My thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas