Old 05-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post

Enough rambling... but I believe gasoline will never match diesel in torque, simply because there's more energy per volume in diesel, and it burn is more easily controlled.
I also believe that there are many reasons to buy a diesel, but for a 6-9k travel trailer you just don't 'need' it. There are other options.

In the videos I have seen, the new babyboost 2.7 annihilates the ecodiesel in towing tests after the first twenty feet. The existing 3.5 ecoboost has more power and torque than the 2.7.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Does it tell you rear diff is also low 1 qt right from the factory? I bet most GM 11.5 axle owners don't know this.
Nor did I. It hasn't spoken to me recently. Hope it isn't mad at me.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #193

Why did I buy a Diesel when I bought?

1) I got a screaming deal on the truck.

Why would I buy one now?

1) cheaper to maintain ( compared to my gasser, all Hemi's) most guys I know are on their second gasser where the diesel guys laugh and say their truck is not broken in yet.
2) better investment where I live. ( 2011 2500 gasser with 280000km just sold for $5100, diesel truck if you could find one will get you high 20s and you stole it)
3) a dream to tow with

Just got back from a trip with a friend who hauled his 29ft 6000pd camper while I towed my 38ft 13000pd about 3500 miles. We traveled same speeds, I was the lead truck to break wind for him 95% of the way, he spent double on fuel compared to me. The little bit he did lead his fuel mileage was even worse.
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Just came over the Vial Pass the other week and the Duranax never went over 3k going up and I was doing 50-55mph passing the semi's. Coming down I kept it under 3.5k with the exhaust brake and not riding the brakes. DW was riding me for NOT riding the brakes.
PERFECT Point Ed - if you are pulling a large 5er, I just don't understand why there is even a debate Gas v Diesel.

If you are towing a lighter weight 5er ...maybe.

BTW, the EcoBoost has a Exhaust Brake as well
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The Ecobomb is built a lot like a diesel... They used a lot of the same materials and design concepts. If they hadn't these things would be destroying themselves. However, I'll be surprised if the technology ever matches diesel in torque production. Do a bunch of bolt-ons to the diesel and see where the torque figures go... through the roof!

Fuel injection in most gasoline engines isn't really fuel injection. It's proper terminology is pressure injection carburetion. If the fuel/air is mixed before it enters the cylinder, it's a form of carburetion. Directly injected into the combustion chamber... is fuel injection. It's not new in gasoline engines. It was used in aircraft engines as early as the 1930s. Turbocharged V-12s, multiple-row radials, and long stroke/bore ratios are part of that equation, too. Have any idea how much torque is required to turn one of those massive propellers? Top that off with 140 octane aviation gasoline and water injection to keep from blowing the tops out of pistons, or blowing complete cylinders off of radials, and you have massive torque from gasoline engines. If they had been able to control the injection sequence like we can today with computers, turbo-diesels would have been a better, less complicated/expensive way to go. Diesels are showing up in increased numbers in aircraft these days.

From what I read about the computer-controlled diesel injection systems these days, there can be as many as 5 injections of fuel per power strike. I think this will continue to be refined and diesel power will get better and better.

Something else to consider... any gasoline engine requires a 14:1 air/fuel ratio, regardless of rpm... idle or full throttle.The mixture ratio for a diesel is variable, and is how engine speed and power output is controlled, because there is no throttle in the form of an air valve.. ie. it's wide open even at idle. The mixture at full power is roughly 25:1 and at idle may exceed 100:1. Another reason diesels are more efficient than gasoline engines. Ram EcoDiesels are doing 28 - 32 mpg... in a 1/2 ton pickup. It'll be interesting to see how the Cummins 5.0 diesel does in the new Titan pickup Nissan is supposed to release this fall. I know a couple of Nissan addicts that are already foaming at the mouth in anticipation...

Enough rambling... but I believe gasoline will never match diesel in torque, simply because there's more energy per volume in diesel, and it burn is more easily controlled.
The 6.7 PSD produces 128.36 ft. lbs per liter whereas the 3.5L EB produces 120, both in factory form. So there really isn't much difference as far as output from the 2. If you start talking aftermarket mods, it gets really difficult to accurately compare. Your explanation on the a/f ratio makes a lot of sense and, coupled with the increased BTU content of diesel would explain the discrepancy in efficiency. I think you may be off a little on you comparison of injection systems. My understanding is that the EB is a direct injection engine and can be controlled just like a modern diesel. BTW, the new 2.7 L EB actually outdoes either of these 2- 138.9 ft. lbs per L!!!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #196

Let's all have a group hug and give peace a chance.........

P.S. I have a
Cummins....
Old 05-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleaner View Post

P.S. I have a
Cummins....

(and yeah, that's gonna be our next TV as well )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleaner View Post

P.S. I have a
Cummins....

It appears as though we have a very informative and civil discussion going on and you think we need to have a group hug????
Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #199

Yes.

I'm a lover.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #200

Maybe ford should put a EB in the f250/350. Then the EB vs diesel debate would go away as both would be hauling the same loads up the same roads.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas