Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #41
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,439
For me, with the campers we were looking at and my inexperience level- I felt like I needed a dually and diesel. It's the only truck I've owned and I'm happy with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
3. With a diesel I can fuel up at the truck pumps and not have to worry about maneuvering room or whether the canopy over the pumps is high enough to fit under. BTW, thats reason enough for having a diesel.

This is more awesome than Oakman even begins to describe. Fueling up at truck stops is so simple.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 7,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I have not heard many address the maintenance increases. I do my own oil so other than being 4 gallons (LOL) instead of 6qts is fine... Do you need to replace your fuel filters every 10,000 and so on? I am used to the oil every 5,000 to 10,000 and KN air filter cleaning once every 30,000.

With the diesel I know DEF comes into play, does the vehicle get some good distance on 2.5 gallons of DEF or is it best to keep a few gallons in the rig?
We have been researching diesel as well Doc. The RAM 3500 we are considering gets 15K between Oil Changes and has a 8 GAL DEF Tank. Depending on where we are going (we want to do the AlCan in '18) I certainly would have a spare 2 GAL DEF Can in the toolbox

I have heard that a full DEF tank (in the above truck) gets 10K Miles but towing factors, idling and so forth come into play to reduce that. Also the Cummings can use Biodiesel which supposedly refuses DEF consumption (and gives you better mileage)
__________________

__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
BTW, my 6.4 liter diesel develops peak torque (650 lb-ft) at 2000 RPMs and peak horsepower (350 hp) at 3000 RPMs.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I believe that chart is a comparison of a GAS V8 vs. the Ecoboost.
It is, but the numbers and curve directly dispute the statement made about gas torque curves. I would surmise again that maybe the myth is related to a normally aspirated engine, but it is perceived by many to mean gas engines. It certainly does not apply to all gas engines as the chart displays.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Here's the real question why a 3/4 ton when the only difference between that and a 1 ton is one leaf spring and about $600
broncodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
We have been researching diesel as well Doc. The RAM 3500 we are considering gets 15K between Oil Changes and has a 8 GAL DEF Tank. Depending on where we are going (we want to do the AlCan in '18) I certainly would have a spare 2 GAL DEF Can in the toolbox

I have heard that a full DEF tank (in the above truck) gets 10K Miles but towing factors, idling and so forth come into play to reduce that. Also the Cummings can use Biodiesel which supposedly refuses DEF consumption (and gives you better mileage)
You can also fill the DEF tank at the truck stop for under $3 a gallon VS 3 times that price from a auto parts store.
Love our new F350 and the 440HP and 860 ft of torque not an issue to get up to speed before the end on an on ramp and comes in handy for passing as we're 70 long with the boat behind.
broncodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I believe that chart is a comparison of a GAS V8 vs. the Ecoboost.
But my guess is his point is it is showing the high torque at lower RPM. I do know the EB is impressive but I am not going to do a f150 or 1500, definitely a 2500. But this is good info for the next person that might find this thread. Thanks you for the info.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #48
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncodriver View Post
Here's the real question why a 3/4 ton when the only difference between that and a 1 ton is one leaf spring and about $600
Nothing more than the fact that 2500 are a dime a dozen around here for all the amish builders. 3500 are less common unless in the work truck. It is $60 more for reg but that is what it is. If I found the perfect 3500 then I would buy it but again, 2500's are more common.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #49
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncodriver View Post
You can also fill the DEF tank at the truck stop for under $3 a gallon VS 3 times that price from a auto parts store.
Love our new F350 and the 440HP and 860 ft of torque not an issue to get up to speed before the end on an on ramp and comes in handy for passing as we're 70 long with the boat behind.
I had heard that the Pilot Flying J's (and I am sure other truck stops) had this. Guess it is just another pump at the fuel pump? I would do this just to save the cash for normal cruising if they started doing this at the regular gas stations.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #50
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I had heard that the Pilot Flying J's (and I am sure other truck stops) had this. Guess it is just another pump at the fuel pump? I would do this just to save the cash for normal cruising if they started doing this at the regular gas stations.
I think many truck stops have these pumps. I don't use it, but I've noticed it pretty often.

Otherwise, they sell it by the gallon inside.
__________________

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, gas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.