Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #201

P.S. We can still share opinion in the group, BTW.....
but I feel a good loud Kum-bye-yah should come first. JMO.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Maybe ford should put a EB in the f250/350. Then the EB vs diesel debate would go away as both would be hauling the same loads up the same roads.
I think that if you put the 3.5L EB in it's current form into a 250/350 it would stay in boost too much and not be that efficient. I'm no engineer, so there may be issues that would make this not feasible, but I would like to see a small V8 EB. The 5.0 would be a great choice, I think. I'd like to see them use the CGI block like the new 2.7L does. I think it would be awesome if they would offer different settings built in to the truck. For example, an economy mode would limit boost PSI and cause it to ramp up much less quickly. You could then have a tow/haul mode that would utilize more boost and ramp boost more quickly. You could use this same type of management with the 3.5L, but I think the 250/350 market would be much more accepting of a slightly larger V8. Granted, it would really suck the fuel when towing heavy, but there is a HUGE number of people that tow only a handful of times a year, but need the power when they do. If they could get the price ~$6K less than the diesel option, get economy mileage in the 17/14 range and get the tow/haul HP/TQ in the 400/600 range, I think we'd have a real winner on our hands.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #203

The Ecoboost may very well be a direct-injection engine... I was talking about what most call fuel injection or sequential-port fuel injection. If it's direct injection... it's fuel injected, no argument here... and I am not fighting with anyone... no need for a group hug or kum-ba-yah... I had a '11 F-150 with the 5.0 because I didn't want the complexity of the EB especially in it's first year of availability. I really think Ford has knocked it outa the park with this technology.

I really think madmaxmutt, dustman stx, and myself are being pretty civil in this discussion... and they have some valid points... They probably, like me, keep a hat on them most of the time...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #204

You boys are civil.
I'm just a smartbass who doesn't know much.
No worries.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #205

I used to have Fleetwood TT that loaded was around 8k. I towed it with a 2001 Silverado 1500 with a lift kit and 35" tires. By the time I got to where I was camping, I was flat wore out. It is amazing how tiring it is to tow with an underpowered truck. If anybody on here has been to NE Oregon then you know about Cabbage Hill. It is a 7-9% hill for 7 miles with corners you have to slow down to 40 on. By the time I got to the top of the hill, I was doing 20 mph and was being passed by loaded semi's.

I now have a 2007 Duramax lifted with 36" tall tires. I can maintain the 65 mph speed limit. After slowing for the 40 mph corners, I can get right back to 65 again.

As far as fuel mileage, the better mileage makes up for the higher prices.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:00 AM   #206

What helped you decide diesel or gas?

I towed a 23 foot TT with a 5.4 liter gasser to Reno from Salt Lake and was horribly disappointed by its performance. I found a deal on an older 6.0 liter Powerstroke and bought it. I now pull almost three times the weight of the first trailer and the difference is night and day. The diesel stays at lower rpm's gets slightly better gas mileage with much less stress. You really have to compare the two to see the difference. The problem with diesels is that repairs can be really expensive and any savings in gas will go right out the window in a hurry after an HPOP or some other vital system goes out on you. But the point is that towing with a diesel is a much better experience and to me worth the cost and trade off for the RV lifestyle.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
togo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by togo444 View Post
I towed a 23 foot TT with a 5.4 liter gasser to Reno from Salt Lake and was horribly disappointed by its performance. I found a deal on an older 6.0 liter Powerstroke and bought it. I now pull almost three times the weight of the first trailer and the difference is night and day. The diesel stays at lower rpm's gets slightly better gas mileage with much less stress. You really have to compare the two to see the difference. The problem with diesels is that repairs can be really expensive and any savings in gas will go right out the window in a hurry after an HPOP or some other vital system goes out on you. But the point is that towing with a diesel is a much better experience and to me worth the cost and trade off for the RV lifestyle.

As I think I've already stated on this thread, you were underwhelmed by the performance of a naturally aspirated engine, not a gasoline one. An old non-turbocharged diesel would be just as much of a dog when towing as the 5.4- actually much more so. The Ecoboost engine in an F150 would have impressed you greatly had you gone that route. And, while repair costs will likely exceed those of a naturally aspirated engine, it is much less expensive to repair than a modern diesel engine. I know some people have had 6.0 PSD's with no issues, but the vast majority have had major consistent issues with things such as the EGR system, injectors, head gaskets, etc. Even just changing the starter on one is an all day ordeal. I've yet to personally meet someone that didn't have issues- and I've met a lot of people in years past with them. Hate to be the guy that rains on the parade- but I hope you got it cheap.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #208

What is it you drive dustman?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #209

I currently drive a 2013 F150 EB. Previous TV was a 2011 F250 6.7PSD. Before that 1997 F250 7.3L PSD. In the mix over the years was various NA V8 engines from 4.6 to 5.9L in size. Therefore, it appears as though I have a pretty good perspective having owned NA gas engines, diesels and now the Ecoboost. There are a lot of opinions thrown around here on the forums, many founded out of ignorance or the repeating of same. I try to shine a little light from what I've learned having used all of them, sometimes with little success. I definitely believe diesels have their place. I also believe that a lot of people have spent a lot of money on diesels they don't need. They don't have to justify that purchase to me or anyone else- if they'd just leave it alone at "I wanted one". When they feel the need for others to concur the "necessity" of that decision is when we often part ways. If money were no object, I'd be rolling in a new 1 ton dually diesel 4x4 crew with all the bells and whistles from one of the Big 3. But I have enough sense to know the difference between NEED and WANT. Edit: With that being said, there are a lot of forum members that absolutely need a diesel. There are many others that can afford the diesel and prefer towing with them. So, to make the assumption that I have the attitude that the Ecoboost takes the place of a diesel is quite a stretch. I would, however, take one any day of the week over the Ford 6.0 PSD. Of course, I'd take just about anything capable of moving a trailer over one of them, so that doesn't necessarily say that much.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
As opposed to "I drive a diesel and everyone that doesn't is an idiot." I currently drive a 2013 F150 EB. Previous TV was a 2011 F250 6.7PSD. Before that 1997 F250 7.3L PSD. In the mix over the years was various NA V8 engines from 4.6 to 5.9L in size. Therefore, it appears as though I have a pretty good perspective having owned NA gas engines, diesels and now the Ecoboost. There are a lot of opinions thrown around here on the forums, many founded out of ignorance or the repeating of same. I try to shine a little light from what I've learned having used all of them, sometimes with little success. I definitely believe diesels have their place. I also believe that a lot of people have spent a lot of money on diesels they don't need. They don't have to justify that purchase to me or anyone else- if they'd just leave it alone at "I wanted one". When they feel the need for others to concur the "necessity" of that decision is when we often part ways. If money were no object, I'd be rolling in a new 1 ton dually diesel 4x4 crew with all the bells and whistles from one of the Big 3. But I have enough sense to know the difference between NEED and WANT. Edit: With that being said, there are a lot of forum members that absolutely need a diesel. There are many others that can afford the diesel and prefer towing with them. So, to make the assumption that I have the attitude that the Ecoboost takes the place of a diesel is quite a stretch. I would, however, take one any day of the week over the Ford 6.0 PSD. Of course, I'd take just about anything capable of moving a trailer over one of them, so that doesn't necessarily say that much.
We are looking at buying an F-150 also. Maybe the 2015 Super Crew Lariat at the end of the year. Which model would you recommend if you were buying new? We are leaning toward the Ecoboost 3.5. (And yes, money is an object for us, too). We are towing a 2011 Wildwood 23FBS with a dry wt of 5028, cargo 2374 tops. Don't expect to buy a new trailer as we love this one and have done mods we like. Thanks in advance for any tips.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
We are looking at buying an F-150 also. Maybe the 2015 Super Crew Lariat at the end of the year. Which model would you recommend if you were buying new? We are leaning toward the Ecoboost 3.5. (And yes, money is an object for us, too). We are towing a 2011 Wildwood 23FBS with a dry wt of 5028, cargo 2374 tops. Don't expect to buy a new trailer as we love this one and have done mods we like. Thanks in advance for any tips.
WWT, I think you are definitely on the right track. If the 5028 number is per the yellow sticker on the trailer, you are probably going to be right at 6000 fully loaded. I think you'll absolutely LOVE towing with the Ecoboost. As a matter of fact, the new 2.7L EB might be worth looking at. I've never driven one, but I've been reading a lot of good things about them. They are new, though, so potentially some bugs will need to be worked out. I think you have to get a payload package with the 2.7L also- so I'd definitely check into that if going that route. To answer the question directly about what I'd get to tow what you have: I'd go with the 3.5L EB, 4x4, 3.55 with electronic locker. I'd also go with the 6.5' bed over the 5.5' if possible. I highly recommend the tailgate step, as well. I'm pretty athletic and still found it very useful.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
X2 what Dustman said.

WWT, as long as you are completely happy with your Wildwood and will never trade it in on another TT/5er, the F150 EB is the way to go (IMO). Just get the truck fully decked out with HD towing package, MAX Trailer towing package and, unless you really need it, go 2WD instead of 4WD (increases your CCC)

The good news is, if you deluded yourself and decide to move up to a Lightweight 5er, you will have more than enough truck to pull it
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #213

Oh- almost forgot a big one. I THINK that on the 2015's, the 36 gallon tank is optional. You DEFINITELY want that instead of the 26 gallon.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #214

Quote:
As I think I've already stated on this thread, you were underwhelmed by the performance of a naturally aspirated engine, not a gasoline one. An old non-turbocharged diesel would be just as much of a dog when towing as the 5.4- actually much more so. The Ecoboost engine in an F150 would have impressed you greatly had you gone that route. And, while repair costs will likely exceed those of a naturally aspirated engine, it is much less expensive to repair than a modern diesel engine. I know some people have had 6.0 PSD's with no issues, but the vast majority have had major consistent issues with things such as the EGR system, injectors, head gaskets, etc. Even just changing the starter on one is an all day ordeal. I've yet to personally meet someone that didn't have issues- and I've met a lot of people in years past with them. Hate to be the guy that rains on the parade- but I hope you got it cheap.

Yes I don't doubt I would have enjoyed it more with a turbo charged gasser but I got a relatively good deal compared to the other trucks I looked at either gas or diesel. I also got a beefier chassis with duallies to get as much fifth wheel as I could get.

togo444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #215

HSV. 8000 lb dry weight trailer?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #216

Quote:
I currently drive a 2013 F150 EB. Previous TV was a 2011 F250 6.7PSD. Before that 1997 F250 7.3L PSD. In the mix over the years was various NA V8 engines from 4.6 to 5.9L in size. Therefore, it appears as though I have a pretty good perspective having owned NA gas engines, diesels and now the Ecoboost. There are a lot of opinions thrown around here on the forums, many founded out of ignorance or the repeating of same. I try to shine a little light from what I've learned having used all of them, sometimes with little success. I definitely believe diesels have their place. I also believe that a lot of people have spent a lot of money on diesels they don't need. They don't have to justify that purchase to me or anyone else- if they'd just leave it alone at "I wanted one". When they feel the need for others to concur the "necessity" of that decision is when we often part ways. If money were no object, I'd be rolling in a new 1 ton dually diesel 4x4 crew with all the bells and whistles from one of the Big 3. But I have enough sense to know the difference between NEED and WANT. Edit: With that being said, there are a lot of forum members that absolutely need a diesel. There are many others that can afford the diesel and prefer towing with them. So, to make the assumption that I have the attitude that the Ecoboost takes the place of a diesel is quite a stretch. I would, however, take one any day of the week over the Ford 6.0 PSD. Of course, I'd take just about anything capable of moving a trailer over one of them, so that doesn't necessarily say that much.
We are all aware of the 6.0 problems. Your using that as to why you own an ecoboost. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a Diesel. I had a 5.4 Triton f250 that was so bad on mileage not to mention pulling a hill. It is frustrating being beat up by poor perfomance while traveling it takes all the fun away once you get where your going. If you are satisfied with your Ford that is great.If i didn't have a trailer i would still own a Diesel.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #217

OK you Ford guys. How much does a 2015 F-150 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 gear with an electronic locker cost?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
OK you Ford guys. How much does a 2015 F-150 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 gear with an electronic locker cost?
That just isn't enough info to price a new truck. There are about 1,000 variations of what you listed. Your best bet is to look at Truecar and figure that you can get close to 20% off MSRP in the right month and incentives. Those just are going to be hard to get for a while with the new body style. If you were looking make sure to get the Max Tow package.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #219

Well played madmax. Could one of the guy's give me a i paid around this for my ride.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #220

I've been looking at multiple TV specs. this week and accidentally selected F-150. Before I realized I was looking at a 150 I saw the max tow w/HD payload at 3100+lbs. I had to look twice and I am really confused now. How can a 1/2 ton truck still be a 1/2 ton if able to carry this much weight? I really thought I was looking at a F-250!
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas