Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

What is the actual max travel trailer length for 1/2 tons?

I'm reading a lot of post with people towing from 26' to 36' travel trailers with half tons. Assuming weight is within limits of the truck, GCWR, payload, etc. what is a max comfort zone for a 1/2 ton. Are we talking 29' with a proper weight distributor and anti sway set up?

Thanks.
Brendon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

It is not the length that matters, it is the weight. You have to know how your TV is set up, how you pack, how many people you carry, and what the weight of the trailer is. Every truck model and equipment package is different.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon44 View Post
I'm reading a lot of post with people towing from 26' to 36' travel trailers with half tons. Assuming weight is within limits of the truck, GCWR, payload, etc. what is a max comfort zone for a 1/2 ton. Are we talking 29' with a proper weight distributor and anti sway set up?

Thanks.
This seems to be a Trick question, the 1/2 ton part and the 36'! States have a "Total Length Limit "! Youroo! !
Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Canadian Member

There is a legal length limit based on the regulations in the state/province you’re in. It’s usually the combined length of the tow vehicle and trailer combo.

There’s also the person’s comfort level. I suggest that your comfort level will be impacted your tow vehicle’s wheelbase and the quality of the sway control.

I think that the tongue weight will become an issue more quickly than trailer length though. You might be able to comfortably control the sway on a trailer that puts you over your tow vehicle’s GVWR. Unless you have a 1/2 ton with the heavy duty payload option that puts you into 3/4 ton payload territory, I wouldn’t try anything longer than about 28’-30’ with a single slideout because it’ll weigh too much on the tongue.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Assuming you are able to stay within the 1/2 ton truck's payload and towing capacities (unlikely with such a long trailer), The issue becomes the length of the trailer vs the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. The longer the trailer the greater the possibility of jackknife situations (think "crack the whip").
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark-SC View Post
Assuming you are able to stay within the 1/2 ton truck's payload and towing capacities (unlikely with such a long trailer), The issue becomes the length of the trailer vs the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. The longer the trailer the greater the possibility of jackknife situations (think "crack the whip").
Some of the Shortest Wheelbase Trucks I have ever seen deliver "70+ foot long trailers all over the USA!Youroo! !
Old 09-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #7

What is the actual max travel trailer length for 1/2 tons?

It depends.
I think it works out the way it does, primarily as has been mentioned, the TV hits a wall as far as payload when you get into lengths around 30’.
The manufacturers equip the PU’s better suited to hauling heavier loads with better tranny’s and accessories and gear ratios, to optimize the PU’s towing ability, when you step to 3/4 ton PU’s. You can get a 1/2 ton with a Max Tow package, and take advantage of some of the better stuff these days.
The TW on the TT, starts eating the payload pretty quickly when you get to 30’ with most 1/2 tons, as they role off the showRoom floor. My TT is considered a 26’er. With the kitchen in the nose(Vlite), I’m already at #950 on the TW, and 32’ hitch the spare tire. My trailer has two slides.
With a trailer that has no slides, and mostly sleeping considerations like a BH style with a kitchen and tank weight over the axles, you could get pretty long before the TW got close.
I don’t think there is a standard for determining X, based on Y. There are so many variables, trying to develop a rule, is a fools mission.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Some of the Shortest Wheelbase Trucks I have ever seen deliver "70+ foot long trailers all over the USA!Youroo! !
And those trucks (tractors) have 2 rear axles both with 4 wheels per axle!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #9

I wouldn't want to tow anything over 38' and 9000 lbs with a 1/2 ton unless it was a 5th wheel then I'd go to 40' and 10,500 lbs. I'd want the F150 HDPP though.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #10

Here is an old guideline.....

David's RV Tips: How long?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Looks like semi's are not safe towing what they tow. He needs to bring into account the type of tow vehicle. A dually 3500 is used extensively for RV transport.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #12

tow

Look @ the sticker on the driver's side door post. It will have info. You will usually run out of cargo cap. first. Over 30' and hard to recommend. Yes, I know Ford makes a twin turbo F150Max, payload, Max tow that is able to pull more. In my area , dealers want almost as much as 3/4 ton.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Was

I pull 34ft Puma, 6400lbs dry weight with a 2016 F150 ecoboost and a Hensley hitch. No problems at all with power or swaying. I had lots of sway issue before the Hensley. Figured a Hensley hitch was a lot cheaper than a 3/4 ton truck.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #14

An HDPP F150 will price out almost exactly the same as an F250 gasser. Go to Fords build and price site and build one. Big plus to the F250 is the extra weight to help control the longer TT. Downside is the poor mpg's when not towing.
x2 on the HA or Pro Pride hitches. BTDT with a Max Tow F150 and a 31' 7300lb TT. One hand easy tow with the HA.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Thanks.
Just because there are a bunch of people here that are "doing it with no problems" doesn't mean that you should do it.

If the guy in front of you jumped over the hand rail into the Grand Canyon...would you do it, too?

You are talking 3/4-ton pickup range here for sure...

And remember this...

A lot of it depends on how much you value your family's and your own life.

And when the truck manufacturers make up tow ratings these are calculated pulling flatbed trailers with heavy weights on them...not gigantor TT's or 5'vers that are big wind collectors!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #16

My issue has never been "length" as far as towing with my Titan. The issue rears it's ugly head with the campgrounds. I like NF and SP campgrounds and with most a 25' trailer is pretty much the max length.

I don't think there is any specific max for 1/2 ton's towing trailers. The manufacturer of the TV will provide specs for max Combined Weight Rating and Max Tongue Weight. If what you tow fits those two parameters then it's just up to the driver.

In many cases the driver's experience plays a larger role than the Tow Vehicle.

Several years ago (June 2005) someone who had purchased a brand new 5-er and 1-Ton TV was towing his combination down the center lane of the Interstate not far from my house. His speed was described by witnesses as "well over the speed limit" and when he ran up on slow traffic he braked, lost control, and broke through the median barrier. Hit a car head on and killed 2 leaving several young children as orphans. The vehicles from that accident were stored at the local State Patrol Impound area for quite a while and I saw them about a week after the accident. Left a lasting memory.

Like I said, if the truck isn't overloaded then it's only a matter of Driver skill and intelligence. Sometimes more the latter.

Official reports stated the driver was speeding "well over 70 mph" and the posted speed limit in the area is 60 mph. Every time I drive down the highway and someone blows by me while towing a TT I reflect back on that accident where a driver was in a big hurry and something tragically went wrong.

BTW, as I recall the 5-er wasn't particularly long. Kind of average.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Just because there are a bunch of people here that are "doing it with no problems" doesn't mean that you should do it.

If the guy in front of you jumped over the hand rail into the Grand Canyon...would you do it, too?

You are talking 3/4-ton pickup range here for sure...

And remember this...

A lot of it depends on how much you value your family's and your own life.

And when the truck manufacturers make up tow ratings these are calculated pulling flatbed trailers with heavy weights on them...not gigantor TT's or 5'vers that are big wind collectors!
I don't understand the part about "doing it with no problems" actually being a problem. If the guy doesn't have issues towing his TT then he doesn't. Just because some don't think it's right, doesn't mean you can't do it.
Same with towing lighter 5th wheels with 1/2 tons. Many do it, bot some say you can't, but yet many do with out issues.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I don't understand the part about "doing it with no problems" actually being a problem. If the guy doesn't have issues towing his TT then he doesn't. Just because some don't think it's right, doesn't mean you can't do it.
Same with towing lighter 5th wheels with 1/2 tons. Many do it, bot some say you can't, but yet many do with out issues.
It will not be an issue...until it is an issue!

And once you find yourself at that moment in time...it is too late!

Chances of having an issue with a 1/2-ton truck and a big heavy trailer go up substantially over having a bigger truck in the first place!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #19

Kinda into hypotheticals here.
The chances of having an “issue”, goes up substantially by simply hooking up a trailer regardless of size, to any PU.
I’ll take an experienced driver with a sketchy rig(by some people’s definition)over a regular guy ......a really nice regular guy......with little or no towing experience, plopping down serious money for a brand new 450 and heavy trailer, and hitting the road.
The odds always favor experience. Darwin’s ideas about crowd control generally come into play when complacency rears it’s head.
When things become an “issue” towing something like a heavy trailer, it can often times be to late regardless. Depending on how much of an “issue” it is to start with, can clearly determine how much of a disaster it becomes.

When we get to “When ifs and buts are canned like nuts, oh what a merry Christmas we will have” land, you end up really close to “Buy the biggest truck you can afford and you’ll never have a problem” land.

When I read a comment like “I hope I never have to be around you when you’re towing your big ole trailer with you’re itty bitty truck. You’re gonna kill somebody”, I always wonder what got them out from under the bed, to start with.
The chances of a problem from some guy towing what some consider a heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton truck causing that particular individual a problem, is so far down the list of “What ifs”in the world we live in, to be afraid of it, defies logic.

What’s more dangerous? 14 to 15 thousand pounds traveling down the road at 65mph, or 25 thousand? How about 80 thousand. I drove a delivery route many years ago in another life, over quite a bit of the area between the Missouri River and Denver. As far south as San Antonio, and as far north as central Nebraska. I saw way more big rig accidents, then travel trailer accidents.
Of course, the highways weren’t littered with Baby Boomer pensioners back then either. Lol
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks.
I pull a 35 foot trailer that weighs 6300 lb with a 2017 Ford F-150 with a heavy tow package and the 5.0 engine with 6 speed transmission.
You are correct in assuming that you want to be with in the vehicle's maximum payload and I am within 90% of Maximum and it tows just fine with a weight distributing hitch and anti-sway bars on both sides.
At 35 ft trailer length I am barred from some campgrounds because it is too long but the whole point of having the trailer is my personal Comfort level with space so it's a good trade off for me.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer