Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #41

Ford Brake Controller

We had a Dodge with an aftermarket brake controller, and a setting up 5 would lock up the brakes on our old RV. Traded the Dodge in for a 2013 F250. With the brake controller gain at 10 and on wet grass, RV brakes would not lock up. I didn’t put much thought into it, as we were buying a new RV.
Purchased a new Forest River RV, and as we were leaving tested the brake controller. A setting of 10 only tugged on our truck. Hooked our RV up to the salesman’s truck, and the brakes did in fact lock up. Pulled the breakaway on the RV, and the brakes locked up, so obviously an issue with our truck.
Ford ran through there diagnostics, which of course showed no errors or issues. Mechanic used a voltmeter and simulated a trailer was plugged into our truck and registered 14 volts when the controller was set to 10. I was told this is an issue with our RV.
When I got back home, I hooked up a voltmeter to our RV brake wires, and when I squeezed the brake controller, the voltage went to 14, then immediately dropped to 9. With no load, the Ford brake controller will put out 14 volts, under a load the voltage drops. I videotaped this, and after arguing that there was not a short in our new RV, they agreed to replace the brake controller under warranty.
I am almost now able to lock up the RV brakes with a setting of 9. I usually run around 8 in case I’m driving on wet roads.
Google search Ford Brake controller issues. Many Ford users have the same issue.
davecip518 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller