Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

What kind of upgrades can I do to improve pulling power?

Hi all...

I have a 2003 Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel dually that only has 120,000 miles on it. It's in really good shape and does a good job pulling my travel trailer. I'm going to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel and while I'm going to stay within the truck's "specs" for weight, I am looking for things I can do to the truck to improve its pulling capacity.

Any suggestions from the group?

Thanks!

Thomas
Tcfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

pulling power

I believe the GM 03 diesel is a 6.6 duramax version LB7 motor, there are tuners that can be added to increase horsepower and torque but it seems that the people that have done this to their trucks are the ones that have the most problems. The 6.6 LB7 is a decent motor if you take care of it.There is a web site called The Diesel Place that has all the information on getting more power from your motor.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

I agree with happy camper. You should have all the power you need with a stock Duramax of any year. Additions like cold air intake and exhaust mods help slightly, but not anything substantial for the money. I know lots of folks who use tuners. They can be good if you use them to make slight adjustments for fuel mileage. But those that use tuners to make big power gains seem to cause themselves other problems.

If your Duramax doesn't have the power you think it should, I would take it to a good mechanic for a checkup before I started modifying anything.

Enjoy your new rig!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

I think I'm reading what I've already suspected: If it's pulling fine already, I'm likely to screw something up by messing with it!

Unless I read something totally to the contrary, I'm just going to leave it alone and pull away!

Thanks folks!

Thomas
Attached Images

Tcfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

If you have been driving your '03 this long you probably don't need advice.

If I was going to added any thing to your rig I would add the ability to monitor your exhaust temperature. I would also add an audible alarm for transmission temperature and engine temperature.
Enjoy your new rig.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

Don't forget that all the added power has to go through the transmission, and all the extra engine heat has to be dumped by the radiator.

Like a see-saw, change one thing and you have to change others to maintain balance.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

Edge Juice - Edge Juice Products

Installed Juice w/ Attitude in my Dodge Ram 11 years ago. Not 1 complaint. Pull a toy hauler with a Harley Dresser inside. Very good purchase.
Steve
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Thomas, I have an 05 with about 115k. I've had a few different tuners with the first being the Edge juice. I liked the features it had, like being able to change the power settings on the fly,but started having problems. The main module sits in the engine bay. I think the heat got to it. The next was the Predator. It was nice and has the ability to read codes, but it took a time to program. What I have now is EFI Live. It's custom tuning software. I've had it for about 8 years or so. I love it. It has 5 different power settings that I can adjust on the fly. The nice thing about EFI is you can custom design your own tune or have it done. I went with the latter. So Cal Diesel is who I went with. One of the 5 tunes is a "tow tune". It is a very safe tune and I use it exclusively when towing. As others have said adding power has its trade offs. Some guys put these tunes in and think they can pull whatever weight at whatever power setting. Those are the guys that buy new transmissions. Mine is stock and in good shape, but I also don't push it when towing. My fifth wheel weighs close to 14k. Jerry.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdiver View Post
If I was going to added any thing to your rig I would add the ability to monitor your exhaust temperature.
Agree with this. All turbo diesel trucks should come with a pyrometer from the factory. Personally... I use an Edge Insight monitor.

Another thing that comes to mind is your truck being an 03 and depending on your local conditions the cooling stack over time can/will get clogged with bugs and other road debris. If you start having cooling issues (i.e. the fan engaging more often) while towing I would bet the farm the cooling stack needs cleaning. Just sayin

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

I would be a little concerned with power modifiers. Friend of ours installed one on his 2009 Ford to help going cross country from TN, the attitude change near Denver did his Ford tranny in big time. $1600 dollars and a week of loss time he was back on the road again. He checked company and there is fine print about software settings/upgrades and attitude changes. Comment was six-gun shot his tranny. LOL
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #11

The one item that will make the largest change in your towing ability is not engine abilities but your rear gear set. Your diesel produces its peak Torque in a certain rpm range. Find out what your gearing is. Your truck could be geared now for pulling or at the other end for speed. What is your gearing and start there. You should be geared from 3.73 to maybe 4.10.. if you are geared like 3.xx?? or 3.55 you need to change rear end gears.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #12

Have you considered simple fixes, like cold air intake, switching to Amsoil full synthetic, larger exhaust for breathing.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Ford, Chevy, it is what it is. If your looking to improve then understand what you have. I'm not the expert but my first choice would be lower gears to the rear end.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminz View Post
The one item that will make the largest change in your towing ability is not engine abilities but your rear gear set. Your diesel produces its peak Torque in a certain rpm range. Find out what your gearing is. Your truck could be geared now for pulling or at the other end for speed. What is your gearing and start there. You should be geared from 3.73 to maybe 4.10.. if you are geared like 3.xx?? or 3.55 you need to change rear end gears.
As far as I can tell, all Duramax w/Allison came from the factory with 3.73. Some of the diesel forums think 4.10 might have been an option in the later years, but I can't find anything that says that is true. Anybody have Duramax/Allison with anything other than 3.73 rear end?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
As far as I can tell, all Duramax w/Allison came from the factory with 3.73. Some of the diesel forums think 4.10 might have been an option in the later years, but I can't find anything that says that is true. Anybody have Duramax/Allison with anything other than 3.73 rear end?

3.73 has always been the only option.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
Boondocking Only

Best bang for your buck modification is buy far CUSTOM TUNES. If you use a tuner, definitely get custom tunes. Larger exhaust & EGT gauge. There are a couple very good tune writers out there & can keep factory safety parameters in place. 5 Star Tuning, MPT Tuning, & Inovative Diesel are among the best. You can call & talk to all these guys and tell them exactly what you want. All 3 also do Data Logging so you can get exactly what you want. Once you get a custom tune you will never go back! You will drive with a big ol'grin. Canned or generic "One size fits all" tuners can & often are harmful. I get custom tunes for all my trucks, diesel & gas. If used & tuned right you will not have any problems.
If you change gears just remember you have to do the front also if it's 4WD. Very very expensive.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcfuller View Post
Hi all...

I have a 2003 Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel dually that only has 120,000 miles on it. It's in really good shape and does a good job pulling my travel trailer. I'm going to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel and while I'm going to stay within the truck's "specs" for weight, I am looking for things I can do to the truck to improve its pulling capacity.

Any suggestions from the group?

Thanks!

Thomas
The duramaxforum.com will give you any and all the information you need. My advice to you is not to tune yoru motor. As someone else stated, tuning it can cause the motor and/or transmission to break.

In my opinion mods that make it ride better under a load, (airbags, air ride pin, etc. will serve you much better than modding up your engine.

Others will disagree, but I just HATE problems and don't do anything that will possibly cause them
Old 02-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #18

Your weak links are the tranny and injectors. I would add an air dog or fass lift pump to help with injectors. The tranny can handle about 60 extra hp to be on the safe side. I use the edge insight for monitoring all my temps. EGT probe should be a must. On the LB7 and 04.5 and 05 LLY you can use the insight to switch between five tunes. With the insight you can check codes, clear codes, reset your transmission, and check balance rates on the injectors. As far as power I would recommend three tuners. All EFI live. Duramax tuner, Idaho Rob, and Kory Willis which is PPEI. Kory is one of the best if not the best.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with some added power / 2017 Salem Hemisphere 29BHHL
cburchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #19

Also another good forum is duramaxdiesels.com

2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with some added power / 2017 Salem Hemisphere 29BHHL
cburchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #20

I have a 2006 LBZ duramax, stock except for blocked EGR and 4" turbo back exhaust. It has 134xxx miles and the vanes in factory turbo started to stick.

It's at the shop now getting a Garrett 3794 turbo and as soon as I get it back I'm going with EFI Live. EFI Live can be customized to YOUR truck, unlike canned turners.

I added airbags that smooth out the ride, but an AirSafe hitch was the best add on for a smooth, non jarring ride.

I have my airbag install thread floating on this site somewhere.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, upgrade