Old 05-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #21
Usually Confused Member

All of these numbers being thrown around are obscuring the real numbers. One only has to look at four different weight ratings:

Maximum vehicle weight,
Maximum combined vehicles weight,
Maximum towed vehicle weight, and
Maximum axle(s) weight.

As long as you are at or below ALL of the above weights you are good to go. Exceeding any one of them means you need a bigger truck or smaller trailer.

The only time payload is a consideration is it's nice to know when you are shopping for a towed vehicle. Even then, if the weights published for the trailer (either delivered weight, pin weight or hitch weight) should be considered a very rough estimate and not a real number until you get to the CAT scale. It would be nice if all RV dealers had at least a Sherline scale so we could find out what the weight would be when we drive off the lot. TT's are reasonably close (+/- 150 pounds hitch weight) but fifth wheels sometimes come in 500 pounds or more heavier than advertised pin weight.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
All of these numbers being thrown around are obscuring the real numbers. One only has to look at four different weight ratings:

Maximum vehicle weight,
Maximum combined vehicles weight,
Maximum towed vehicle weight, and
Maximum axle(s) weight.

As long as you are at or below ALL of the above weights you are good to go. Exceeding any one of them means you need a bigger truck or smaller trailer.

The only time payload is a consideration is it's nice to know when you are shopping for a towed vehicle. Even then, if the weights published for the trailer (either delivered weight, pin weight or hitch weight) should be considered a very rough estimate and not a real number until you get to the CAT scale. It would be nice if all RV dealers had at least a Sherline scale so we could find out what the weight would be when we drive off the lot. TT's are reasonably close (+/- 150 pounds hitch weight) but fifth wheels sometimes come in 500 pounds or more heavier than advertised pin weight.

Thank you. This sounds reasonable. What is the purpose of the axle weight? What are you supposed to rate it against?

Old 05-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #23

I'm comfortable going to 100% of max tow rating as long as no other capacity was exceeded.

I used to be a helicopter pilot and hitting 100% max engine power or flying with cargo that took me up to max weight was no big thing except power management and flight control technique was a bit more important.

Do you think airlines want to fly below max weights? They want to get as much passenger and cargo to maximize profits on that planes routes.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #24
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprice01 View Post
Thank you. This sounds reasonable. What is the purpose of the axle weight? What are you supposed to rate it against?
It's possible, but unlikely, to exceed the axle weight (usually rear axle) but still be below maximum vehicle weight.

For example, CAT scale weights for my setup (fully loaded trailer, full tank of gas, driver and pax, etc) shows a total truck weight of 6500 pounds. The actual weight on the rear axle is 3620. Since the max weight rating for that axle is 3,900 pounds I can only add 280 pounds (over the axle) to reach that rated weight. IF if add 280 pounds, I've reach the max rating of the axle but I am still 120 pounds below maximum vehicle weight of 6,900 pounds. So, even though I have a real remaining payload of 400 pounds I can only use 280 pounds of that number.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #25

At a 15- 16k trailer, I really think the discussion should be DRW... I don't think any SRW has payload for a 4,000 lb pin weight!

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #26

I've towed at near 100% GCWR for years. No problems. MOST IMPORTANT thing is to know your REAL weights. Most often you are hit with the rear axle load rating BEFORE anything else takes hold. FYI, our 5th wheel, loaded and traveling, 70 gal. Fresh Water and propane, camping gear, extra charcoal, lighter logs, etc. is about 3000# over the unloaded weight. I weighed the coach when I pulled it off the dealer lot in 2008. Have weighed several times since, but not recently as I don't have any room left to have added anything since the last weigh in. I'm just under my coach GVWR and my truck GCWR. 100# over the RAWR, on upgraded tires. No weight related problems in 60-70,000 miles.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #27

What % of max towing capacity are you comfortable with in a 5er?

Thank you all for the great information, but unfortunately, most of this appears to be anecdotally derived. Is the a government or insurance company document or website that outlines the actual method/rules used for calculating what is and is not legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #28
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprice01 View Post
Thank you all for the great information, but unfortunately, most of this appears to be anecdotally derived. Is the a government or insurance company document or website that outlines the actual method/rules used for calculating what is and is not legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure that exists. It comes down to common sense.

If the manufacturer says the limits are such and such then it is what it is. Nowhere does anything say you should only operate at 75-80% of that limit.

If you're not comfortable with that concept then I suggest you not get on an airplane. In that industry a limitation is not a limit...it is a goal.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #29

If I had the payload capacity a rear axel rating I'd tow 100% without a thought.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #30

What % of max towing capacity are you comfortable with in a 5er?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Not sure that exists. It comes down to common sense.

If the manufacturer says the limits are such and such then it is what it is. Nowhere does anything say you should only operate at 75-80% of that limit.

If you're not comfortable with that concept then I suggest you not get on an airplane. In that industry a limitation is not a limit...it is a goal.

So by your reasoning, this 3500 should have no issue towing the Gateway 3650BH (or any of the 5ers listed below for that matter) as its GWVR is less than the truck's max towing and the guesstimated hitch weight is less than the maximum payload.

Tags
5er, towing, towing capacity