Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #21

I wanted to get back with everyone who responded and say thank you. First, I want to make clear my intentions. I DO want to keep the same size tire as my original equipment, P235/70R17, because of all the reasons mentioned in the responses. My main reason is for stiffer sidewalls. When I put the trailer tongue weight on the truck, and a grill, screen room and chairs in the truck bed, the original tires really squat. After I hook up the equalizer hitch, they look better, but I'm told I should go to a stiffer sidewall. Keep in mind that I am well within the limits of my truck. However, I can't find the same size tire in an LT series. So, tire stores are trying to sell me something compatible. I'm actually getting more confused. I have studied the charts at Tirerack.com. They don't have any LT tires in the 235 size either. Does anyone know who makes an LT235/70R17 tire? Another thing is the load rating. I'm finding it difficult to find anything other than load range E in a 10-ply rating. I know I probably would be better off with a C tire, but can't find any. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really, really appreciate it.

Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #22

As you have found out, as far as I can tell, no one makes a LT235/70R17 size tire. A LT245/70R17 is available from several tire manufacturer's. It will be slightly larger (width & height) than the P235/70R17, but it is about as close in size to the original tire size that you can get in a LT tire.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #23

Hard to believe, but I called my local Ford dealer, Ted Russell Ford in Knoxville, and they stated that they did NOT have an LT equivalent tire for the F150 to replace the P rated tires. They did try to convince me that their P rated tires were actually the same as LT rated tires, and quote "used on SUVs and light trucks". They claim that the "XL" designation for extra load is equivalent to the LT rating. I did some research on the Hankook Dynapro AS tires which came with my F150, and found that many have complained about the weak sidewalls. I have a dilemma which not even Ford can address. I don't want to change tire sizes. If I change to a LT245 as suggested by Glen5995, it will increase my tire sidewall height from 6.487 to 6.763, increasing my tire size by approximately 1/2 inch, which would make my speedometer off by about 2 mph too slow. I can live with that, but I will also have some loss of power as the rear end ratio is slightly changed. Will this be noticeable? What other differences are there?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #24

Things to consider when dropping a chunk of change on new tires:
Can your rims support the PSI required to carry the load with the new tires
Will your TPMS support the tire
Will the change effect your Speedometer or ODO
What is the weight difference for the new tires and what effect will that have on the steering / load cap of the truck (up to 20 lbs/tire)
Are their OEM restrictions that would deter a change in tire size on OEM rims
From what you are saying it would appear that the tire/rim manufacturers see an issue with putting anything greater than an XL tire on your current set up
I suggest looking at moving to the OEM tire/rim combination that is listed for your truck that meet your requirement(s) rather than just trying to putting something on that dosent appear designed for your truck & that could cost you in the long run
Just my 2 cents
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
If I change to a LT245 as suggested by Glen5995, it will increase my tire sidewall height from 6.487 to 6.763, increasing my tire size by approximately 1/2 inch, which would make my speedometer off by about 2 mph too slow. I can live with that, but I will also have some loss of power as the rear end ratio is slightly changed. Will this be noticeable? What other differences are there?
I think you are getting it. You are correct that you would see about 2% difference. It would be like your 3.73 rear axle ratio became 3.66. I don't think you would need to worry about that change. If you want LT tires, I think you can do that. 2% of 60 mph is only 1 mph. Not a big deal.

FWIW, I have found a BIG difference in tire brands. My truck came with BG Goodrich; which were fine. I replaced them with Nokian tires. Both are P tires not LT. The Nokians are considerably heavier and stiffer. I only say this as you might find an acceptable P tire. Good luck!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #26

I agree with the brands thing. I've got P - metric Eagle LS/2 Tires on my truck and they performed much better than the Dunlops before them did. Not knocking any brand or supporting another, just seems that not all tires are made alike, even within the same classifcation.

In your case, in my opinion, I'd be fine with the 245's and not sweat the speed difference. The additional strain on the truck is extremely minimal as well, so I also would sweat that. It's unlikely to rub with that small a change, so I would sweat that.

I'd make sure you are happy with the tires before doing it, IE reading reviews and whatnot of people with similar setups doing similar things.

I have towed a couple hundred miles with my new truck and these P-metric 275/60/R20 and I was a bit skeptical at first, but they are doing a good enough job for me. I just needed to air them up to around 40PSI (max is 44 for most P tires), and rim can handle I think 50PSI.

I'd sure like to have more plys tho, and will be doing the exact same situation you are doing when the time comes. However, I've pretty much found my replacement tire, the Michelin MS/2 LTX. My father-in-law has been running those for a couple years, and my wife's Equinox have them too (the crossover version), and those are some nice boots on a vehicle.
fajitas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #27

Thanks again. For better understanding, this is a NEW truck which came with Hankook Dynapro AS P235/70R17 tires, which seem to squat when a load is put on them. I was advised that the Hankooks have very weak sidewalls and they should be replaced with something stiffer. As I understand it, the only way to be guaranteed a stiffer sidewall is to move to an LT rated tire. This is my only requirement - not a larger tire. I don't want to replace the tires for any other reason. I'm really surprised that no one has had this same experience, as the F150 is a popular tow vehicle for light-weight trailers. And, I'm even more surprised that FORD has not addressed the issue. But I'm still looking for answers. If anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it. Come on FORD, chime in here with some input !!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #28

One final thought Chillbilly. My truck is a few months old as well, using P rated tires. The Silverado 1500 is a popular Tow Vehicle as well, and same issue with the P rated tires also.

Have you actually pulled anything yet? Did it not perform up to the task? My thoughts are to save yourself $1000 in tires and just use these till they are done, then get the ones you want. Most tire blowouts are due to wrong pressure (usually running way underinflated), and you're right...it's unlikely F150's would ship with a tire that is known to blow out while towing, but it's not unheard of (Bridgestone Ford Explorers comes to mind)....

In the end tho, I'd LOVE to have the Michelin's I want on my truck right now, but these Eagles have actually done fine, and I need to spend that $1000 is more needed ways.
fajitas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
For better understanding, this is a NEW truck which came with Hankook Dynapro AS P235/70R17 tires, which seem to squat when a load is put on them.
Chillbilly, Nankook tires came on my 2006 F150, also. I have the Dynapro AT P235/75R17s instead. I have 30,000 miles on the tires, with about 12,000 miles of that towing my Trailmanor and Surveyor. The tires have held up well, and still have a lot of tread left. I plan on keeping these tires until they wear out, then put LT tires on my truck. My trailer tows sweet, although I am hoping that the slightly stiffer sidewall on LT tires will make my trailer tow even better.

Like fajitas21 suggested, try your Nankooks and see how they do. I am not 1 to spend $1000 to replace something that is not worn out and works reasonable well.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 AM   #30

Yes, I have towed my Flagstaff 829FKSS travel trailer half a dozen times over the past year. It tows great and the F150 handles it superbly. I just don't like the look of the tires when a load is put on them - they squat to the point of looking under pressure. Because of the way they look, I make absolutely sure the pressure is correct every time. Many have told me that it is natural for them to look this way. I have no complaints except for the way they look. But I am getting ready to take a 3800 mile, 3 month long trip and I would like to be more confident in the tires. Maybe I should forget about the look and wait for them to wear out. I'm just astonished that there are no LT rated replacement tires in this size. I think FORD could have done better engineering and planning. A Ford service manager told me that the F150 came with P rated tires because it wasn't really meant to do any heavy work. And, he would not recommend a replacement tire size because he (Ford) could not take responsibility for the change in the speedometer, etc. This makes no sense what-so-ever to me. It's a TRUCK with the largest towing capability and payload for this size vehicle of all 3 major brands. What were they thinking? Thanks to all who have responded. I do take all of your comments into consideration as I know that experience is the best medicine. I hope to see you on the road.