Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
"Never say never." RVer's and boater's all suffer from the same disease: "Two-foot-itis!"
And the "upgrade fever" that goes with it.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Based upon your desires, likes and future needs, go for the f350. It should handle most 5ers. There will be some 5ers and TH it can't handle but you should be good. A 150 or 250 or tundra sound like a waste for you as you talk about wanting a toy hauler in the future. Do pay close attention to the payloAd in that truck as I had an 09 f250 diesel with a shockingly low payload.

Now that said, you need to 've care and check the truck out carefully. Look for soot in the tailpipe (indicative of it being a smoker like my truck was). Also watch this video... .
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #23

Yes, Toy Haulers are heavy, and can get heavy!
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #24

Now I'm nervous. I'm going to find someone that knows trucks to go out and take a look at it with me before I sign on the dotted line.
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #25
Incheon, S. Korea

Like Bill Hewitt says in his videos, check for leaks on the frame, dirty engine blocks, dirty tranny bell housings, and goop inside the upper radiator hose (which indicates that oil is leaking into the cooling system). REplace the radiator cap. Check inside the fuel filter housing to see how grimy it is.
Most of all, run a compression test on each cylinder. They should all be at or near 400 IIRC. If ANY cylinder is significantly weaker, run and don't look back! LOL
I would never buy a diesel without the compression test.
Have you searched Powerstroke Forums for good mechanics in your area?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #26

Definitely take it to a good diesel mechanic. Someone that specifically knows and works with diesels. I know enough about diesels to know that I don't know enough about diesels!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #27

Well, the Ford is a bust. Thank you SO MUCH for sending that video so I'd know what to look for. The only other truck on the lot of the dealer I'm dealing with is a 2008 Dodge Diesel Dually . . . I didn't pay any attention to it - engine size or anything - because it wasn't pretty . . . it's got some bumps and scrapes and dents and stuff and the back seat isn't that big. Plus there's no bed cover or tailgate!!! BUT - it cranked like a dream yesterday when I was looking at it just to be nice. I'm heading out there in the morning to get a closer look at it. If this doesn't work, I will just have to sit and wait. This is a Toyota Dealer - they're the only dealer that's been willing to take my upside down trade-in without wanting an arm and a leg of a down payment.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #28

While you're looking around for a new truck be sure to check out your towing options by typing in the year make & model with this handy towing tool: Trailer Hitches | Reese, Drawtite, Curt and more
nate_053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_053 View Post
While you're looking around for a new truck be sure to check out your towing options by typing in the year make & model with this handy towing tool: Trailer Hitches | Reese, Drawtite, Curt and more
not very handy for me. doesn't list Avalanche, Tahoe or Surburban, under Chevrolet, from 2007 and on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
I was looking hard at the Tundra. Then the dealer showed me another truck - one I had previously owned, just a newer model I took into consideration the fact that yes, I may want to get a 5th wheel or a 5th wheel toy hauler at some point. I know my luxury bus days are over but I'd love more space and owning a trike is a dream of mine. I also like to create and a toy hauler gives you space for that. Then I thought about my life and the type of traveling I do. Long, hard and lots of pulls. I also like going way out and camping in the wilds to get great photographs of wild horses and other elusive creatures. I WANT 4WD just for that purpose. I also kayak and have other hobbies that require a lot of gear. SO, with all that in mind, right now a 2008 Ford F350 king cab, Super Duty Power Stroke V8, long bed, with a camper shell is on the table. 84k miles, perfect condition. I think that will do the job. Now - is there such a thing as having too much truck for the trailer??
Never can have too much truck. You CAN however have too much trailer for the truck but with your F350 you canprobably tow the largest 5er or TH FR makes!

Fords are towing beasts and the typical choice of folks who use trucks for a living (just go to any construction site and see what sorta brands are there )

84K Miles? Shoot, the powerstroke hasen't even been broken in yet
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
As posted in my Welcome Mat comment, my Toyota Sequoia is rated at 6k pounds to tow. My trailer weighs in at 7360. I've got to get a new tow vehicle if I can't sell my Forest River or trade it on a smaller trailer. And I really don't want a smaller trailer. So I'm looking at Ford F150's 2011 or newer, or Ford F250's. Don't really want a diesel. I know the gas mileage is better but I hate the noise.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to what would be the best tow vehicle to get.

Thank you very much.

ShutterBugBev
I agree with an earlier poster, that the new diesels aren't much noisier than a gasser, but I prefer a gasoline-powered truck for several reasons: 1. Difference in mileage on gas vs. diesel when towing is not as great as everyone believes. 2. Despite what happened at the pumps here today, diesel is (generally) higher than gas. 3. Cost of maintaining the truck is significantly higher with a diesel than with the newer gasoline engines.

I'm a Chevy guy, but I was seriously temped by the new Rams last time we upgraded.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, but if pulling with your SUV is that much of a nerve-wracking (and potentially dangerous) experience, for heaven's sake, do something.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #32

Quote:
they're the only dealer that's been willing to take my upside down trade-in
& from your other post...

Quote:
The trip from Las Vegas to ABQ was a nightmare.... I can't tow this with my 2005 Toyota Sequoia and feel safe. So I'm selling the trailer and getting a smaller one or I'm selling the SUV and getting a big truck. I'm stuck right now in ABQ and absolutely MISERABLE. My summer is ruined. My life is ruined if I can't trade or sell one or the other because there will be no traveling for me. Can't trade in either because I'll lose so much money if I do. Especially the SUV. Just bought it in February, $16k owed on it. and can only get $9k trade in allowance. Not a happy camper AT ALL.

Since you are upside-down on the Sequoia, personally I would keep the Sequoia & get a TT that has about the same space, but weighs less… If you plead your case to Camping World, IMO you will take less of a hit trading-in your recently purchased (used 2011) TT for another (newer) TT. They are not going to lose money on you, but I think you will end-up less upside down than if you trade the Sequoia for a huge loss (Apply the $7K loss on the Sequoia to a newer, lighter TT & Camping World will likely work with you…)

However, if you are set on not getting rid of your TT, I think you should consider trading-in your Sequoia for a 2010+ Ram 2500. Rams are more affordable yet IMO just as good as Ford, etc. these days. Gas companies, etc. lease hordes of Rams for 3 years & then they hit the auction/used lots more-so than other trucks... Look for the white ones, they are typically the off-lease company trucks & then have a 3rd party mechanic look under the hood to make sure they didn’t abuse it mechanically…

In 2013 I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 ST crew cab w/5.7 Hemi (gas) for $14K. It had some cosmetic issues, like a few dents here & there, but no mechanical issues - plus balance of manufacturer's engine/powertrain warranty. Every mechanic knows how to work on a Hemi & Ram/Mopar parts are easy to find - so no long waits for diesel service when you are far from home, etc... Mine is just the very basic ST crew cab 2WD, but it comes with Tow/Haul mode which uses different shift points to help you up & down hills. I had no trouble controlling my 8,000 (loaded) TT plus 800 lbs. of people & gear up & down very, very steep (back curvy roads) in S. Ohio. In fact, I feel I did better going up one very steep incline in the middle of the campground vs. older diesel 3/4 tons...

Since you are out West, a Ram 2500 w/Cummins diesel would get you up the mountains faster, but you will pay much, much more for a newer, reliable one (2011=$30K+), or risk higher maintenance costs for an older one. For 5 years I drove 1 ton trucks with diesel engines & they required more regular inspections & (very) prompt maintenance vs. any gas engine we owned...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #33

I pled my case to every RV dealer there is in ABQ - where I'm stuck! OK folks - here's the deal. As I said, I tried trading in the TT and would have lost a TON of money on it. So as you know, I've been trying to trade the SUV without losing my shirt as well. The ONLY way to pay off the $16k owed on the SUV was to buy NEW with a rebate to help erase the $16k. So that is what I had to do and I couldn't afford the big powerful truck - couldn't make those payments. What I ended up with is a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L 350 HP and a towing package. Yes - this TT is the most I can tow with it but I'm ok with that because I really like my TT - it's plenty of room for just me. Unless I meet Mr. Right and he's an RV'er! LOL!! This isn't as much power as I wanted, It's not as big of a truck as I wanted, but in the end I didn't lose my shirt on it because the SUV was paid off and I didn't finance nearly as much as I would have if I'd bought used and had to eat half the $16k of the SUV. There was simply no way to finance anything bigger - the payments would have kept me sitting still and that's not what I want to do!! it is rated to tow 9900 pounds and I'm going to have this TT down to 7k by the time I pull out next week as I'm eliminating anything and everything that I "THINK" I need but haven't used or know I won't use. And I love the truck. Transmission fluid monitor, tire pressure monitor, towing package, ecopackage, decent gas mileage, lots of toys . . . it'll do.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #34
Grandpa's big Blue truck

Glad you could upgrade your tv you should be much happier towing your tt.
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #35
Site Team

Congrats on your new 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500! I can relate to doing 'what's is best' for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #36

Congrats on the new Truck!! Keep us posted - 6 Actual and I hope to meet up with you some day--I am a semipro photographer myself
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #37

Chevy is offering 0% financing for 72 mo. this weekend. Thinking about trading in my current TV, a 2014 Tacoma, for a 1500. The Tacoma does fine towing my Rockwood 2604 and I love the smaller size when it comes to parking and commuting, but I'm within 200 lbs. of maxing out the payload hitched up with DW and accessories, so might be a good move.
zackbo is offline   Reply With Quote