Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

What to get?

As posted in my Welcome Mat comment, my Toyota Sequoia is rated at 6k pounds to tow. My trailer weighs in at 7360. I've got to get a new tow vehicle if I can't sell my Forest River or trade it on a smaller trailer. And I really don't want a smaller trailer. So I'm looking at Ford F150's 2011 or newer, or Ford F250's. Don't really want a diesel. I know the gas mileage is better but I hate the noise.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to what would be the best tow vehicle to get.

Thank you very much.

ShutterBugBev
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Have you tried towing with what you have?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

Noisy?
A new diesel is just about as quiet as a gasser IMO.

I would not let a few dB's sway me.

If you decide to step up to a fifth wheel the 250 would be good but a 350 is better and for the price difference worth it.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Old Coot

Yes Old Coot. I towed from Santa Fe to Las Vegas, NM, from Las Vegas, NM to Coyote Creek State Park, back to Las Vegas and then back to ABQ. It doesn't overheat, but the trailer kind of pushes the SUV around. When I'm hooked up even with weight stabilization bars, the back of my SUV sinks way down making the steering unstable. Very little power going up hills. If I get over 50, even with the sway bar, it fish tales. I just do not feel safe AT ALL. And I'm always afraid my transmission is going to blow.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
Yes Old Coot. I towed from Santa Fe to Las Vegas, NM, from Las Vegas, NM to Coyote Creek State Park, back to Las Vegas and then back to ABQ. It doesn't overheat, but the trailer kind of pushes the SUV around. When I'm hooked up even with weight stabilization bars, the back of my SUV sinks way down making the steering unstable. Very little power going up hills. If I get over 50, even with the sway bar, it fish tales. I just do not feel safe AT ALL. And I'm always afraid my transmission is going to blow.
Definitely time to upgrade.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

F150 ecoboost
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

Do you like your Toyota Sequoia? If so go with a Tundra with a 5.7.....
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

I think a proper question is to ask yourself if you plan on keeping your current TT for a while or changing out for a larger/smaller unit in the next few years. We already agree that your current TT is too much for your sequioa. But try to look ahead a few years to keep from having this dilemma again. If you plan on going bigger, then a 3/4 ton pickup (diesel) would be a good choice. If you are going to keep current trailer or go smaller, then a 1/2 pickup could fill the bill.

Our Tundra did fantastic this weekend pulling our 31' @ 7700lbs to Big Bear lake. Only hiccup was that I took the short way and had 16% grade while turning corners which even in 1st gear struggled.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Trading Toyota for a Toyota will probably get you the best deal price wise!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
As posted in my Welcome Mat comment, my Toyota Sequoia is rated at 6k pounds to tow. My trailer weighs in at 7360. I've got to get a new tow vehicle if I can't sell my Forest River or trade it on a smaller trailer. And I really don't want a smaller trailer. So I'm looking at Ford F150's 2011 or newer, or Ford F250's. Don't really want a diesel. I know the gas mileage is better but I hate the noise.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to what would be the best tow vehicle to get.

Thank you very much.

ShutterBugBev
Get a F150 with the max Trailer Towing Package, Ecoboost and if you can find it without ordering from the factory (as we did) the 3.73 axel. (this is VERY hard to find used or new it is a factory order...sorry )

We can tow 11,800 with this setup and you should have no problem with your "dinkey" rig
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Hear ya. Former NM resident for 10+ years - 8 with a RV. High country towing + mountains sux Just get a F150 (see my other post)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsav View Post
Do you like your Toyota Sequoia? If so go with a Tundra with a 5.7.....
A thumbs up from me on this too. I tow with a Tundra and love it. But then I'm a Toyota gal. I have a lite weight TT so having the smaller 4.6 V8 engine works fine for me. As much as I wanted to stay with a SUV there wasn't a good combo within my budget.

PS
I just realize that you are asking about possible Ford TVs. I'm sure you will get plenty of good feedback to consider.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #13

My Tundra tows our 5500# trailer like it's not even back there. I have the 5.7 with an SAE tow rating of 9700#.
Typical Toyota. Does what I ask, day in and out, with no fuss. Traded a Dodge for it.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #14

And realize this, (if you don't already know), the Ford and Toyota tow ratings are NOT derived from the same tests. One of the reasons I chose the Tundra over the F150. There were other reasons as well, I can PM them to you if you want.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #15

I was looking hard at the Tundra. Then the dealer showed me another truck - one I had previously owned, just a newer model I took into consideration the fact that yes, I may want to get a 5th wheel or a 5th wheel toy hauler at some point. I know my luxury bus days are over but I'd love more space and owning a trike is a dream of mine. I also like to create and a toy hauler gives you space for that. Then I thought about my life and the type of traveling I do. Long, hard and lots of pulls. I also like going way out and camping in the wilds to get great photographs of wild horses and other elusive creatures. I WANT 4WD just for that purpose. I also kayak and have other hobbies that require a lot of gear. SO, with all that in mind, right now a 2008 Ford F350 king cab, Super Duty Power Stroke V8, long bed, with a camper shell is on the table. 84k miles, perfect condition. I think that will do the job. Now - is there such a thing as having too much truck for the trailer??
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #16

NO such thing as having too much truck.
If you can get a factory integrated brake controller, DO IT. You will never be so happy!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #17
MC9

Good choice on the 2008. I have the 08 Ford with the V-10 gas. The 08 grill lifts up with the hood and gives great access. Love the Taos, Vegas, Cimmaron, Raton area.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
I was looking hard at the Tundra. Then the dealer showed me another truck - one I had previously owned, just a newer model I took into consideration the fact that yes, I may want to get a 5th wheel or a 5th wheel toy hauler at some point. I know my luxury bus days are over but I'd love more space and owning a trike is a dream of mine. I also like to create and a toy hauler gives you space for that. Then I thought about my life and the type of traveling I do. Long, hard and lots of pulls. I also like going way out and camping in the wilds to get great photographs of wild horses and other elusive creatures. I WANT 4WD just for that purpose. I also kayak and have other hobbies that require a lot of gear. SO, with all that in mind, right now a 2008 Ford F350 king cab, Super Duty Power Stroke V8, long bed, with a camper shell is on the table. 84k miles, perfect condition. I think that will do the job. Now - is there such a thing as having too much truck for the trailer??

Look not at the trailer you have now, but at the one you may have down the road.

Upgrade now and forget it or upgrade a little bit at a time, several times perhaps.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #19

I know well never get much bigger of a trailer than what we have. Partly due to storage (outdoor storage in my city is hard fought for if I need a bigger spot), and partly due to having to give up many of our favorite sites. 26' for the four of us works perfect. Plus a larger trailer requires a larger truck. I'm extremely satisfied with my combination, and having this truck as my daily driver.

Second, I don't want the extra maintenance costs and shop time of a diesel truck. And I have NO desire to do vehicle maintenance myself. Aside from the fact I hate working on cars, my free time is at a premium. My vehicles have to have low costs of ownership and as little shop time as possible. And I just don't like diesel trucks. Noisy (don't try and tell me they're as quiet as a gasser, they aren't!), and they smell. Even a new one parked still emits an odor. Sorry to the diesel crew, but thats how I am. My father in law drops 4 figures everytime he takes his '06 Sierra 2500 in for maintenance.

To the OP, if you want a large trailer, you will need to go diesel. Just do your research on the truck, from specs to price to maintenance. What is it worth to YOU and you only.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I know well never get much bigger of a trailer than what we have.
"Never say never." RVer's and boater's all suffer from the same disease: "Two-foot-itis!"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote