Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
I saw the F350 the guy is selling for his new one (which should arrive within four weeks). He maintains them like I do mine - spit shined. As a SRW it only has the 3.55 rear end and is rated for 15,900 fifth wheel max towing or 18,500 for TT with WDC. Payload is 3,614 so marginal on these heavy pin weight beasts but it sure kicks my F150s payload's butt. Not near the duelly which would be 5,117 payload for the Crew that year. What I like about it is the short bed where the DRW Crew is 172.4" WB (vs 156" for his). That would be a pain around even the rural burbs I live in.

In researching more fifth wheels it does become apparent that they are all not balanced the same. Some now shift some weight back more and I see pin weights empty vary by 800+ lbs. or more for 5ers with the same empty weight or very close. I wonder if shifting weight back affects the tow much?
Not sure what shifts weight by 800#. My friend loads the garage in his TH with a golf cart and all kinds of stuff for about #300. The FW tank on my 5er is at the absolute rear of the coach and 60 gallons of water do not have a lot of effect. A front kitchen can add a ton and move it to the rear and it helps reduce PW. Frame concerns and etc often have the kitchen over the axels for the same reason. So, yes load and configuration make a difference.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post

In researching more fifth wheels it does become apparent that they are all not balanced the same. Some now shift some weight back more and I see pin weights empty vary by 800+ lbs. or more for 5ers with the same empty weight or very close. I wonder if shifting weight back affects the tow much?

Traditionally, 5vers have a much greater pin weight than a TT's tongue weight due to the position of the axles (farther back on the 5ver). This is common knowledge and makes sense in an evenly distributed load.

Now, with the uniqueness of a camper and everything it contains inside, it makes sense the camper manufactures could take advantage of that by moving heavier things to the rear and/or directly over the axles in order to lighten the pin.

Appliances, kitchen, storage etc. Redesign things so the basement, batteries, water storage, etc. is in the rear and things get lighter up front in a hurry. The basement might not be realistic, however batteries, propane tanks, etc. all sorts of things. Heck, with a properly designed HVAC ductwork, the a/c unit could be mounted in the rear.

Given the more stable trailering characteristics of a 5ver, I would think the pin could be lightened quite a bit before the towing experience and/or safety was compromised.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #53
Coachman 312BHDS

I was trying to find the two I compared but I may have slipped a toy hauler (Edge) in there that had a 3600 pin weight. I guess it is still a 5er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Not sure what shifts weight by 800#. My friend loads the garage in his TH with a golf cart and all kinds of stuff for about #300. The FW tank on my 5er is at the absolute rear of the coach and 60 gallons of water do not have a lot of effect. A front kitchen can add a ton and move it to the rear and it helps reduce PW. Frame concerns and etc often have the kitchen over the axels for the same reason. So, yes load and configuration make a difference.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #54

Hitch weight will easily be 3500+ when loaded, and only a dually can meet the needs of that payload.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, tow vehicle