Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #161

Howdy Neighbor!
I am semi-retired and now have the shortest commute in my working career. I definitely feel your pain. Until a couple of years ago, a 2.5 hour round-trip commute was very common for me. Our SuperDuty is new to us since we bought it in early July. I'm getting more and more comfortable with it every day. Like you, I have already dscovered that it is easier to back it into a parking space at work, and into my driveway at home. The solid feel and strength of this truck inspires confidence and I also doubt if I will ever go back to a half ton.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #162

Drove a 2000 Chevy 5.3L half ton for a total of 338,000+ miles- loved that truck. When we bought the Vibe it became apparent that we needed to relife the truck. Traded it in on a 2015 Kirkland (AKA GMC 2500 Duramax). Buying through Costco saved us an entire Metric $h!tload of cash. The new ride has an Engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, electric radiator cooling fans, Compression Brakes, Rear View camera, Biggo Mirrors with Brilliant Backup lights, integrated trailer brakes, Tow/Haul mode, anti-sway control, 6 speed Allison transmission, Onstar, it's a wireless hotspot, XM radio, and is the quietest most comfortable cabin EVER. It is too damn tall (wife is a short kid) but other than that it is my all time favorite ride.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Elliot View Post
Drove a 2000 Chevy 5.3L half ton for a total of 338,000+ miles- loved that truck. When we bought the Vibe it became apparent that we needed to relife the truck. Traded it in on a 2015 Kirkland (AKA GMC 2500 Duramax). Buying through Costco saved us an entire Metric $h!tload of cash. The new ride has an Engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, electric radiator cooling fans, Compression Brakes, Rear View camera, Biggo Mirrors with Brilliant Backup lights, integrated trailer brakes, Tow/Haul mode, anti-sway control, 6 speed Allison transmission, Onstar, it's a wireless hotspot, XM radio, and is the quietest most comfortable cabin EVER. It is too damn tall (wife is a short kid) but other than that it is my all time favorite ride.

I had the same problem with my Tundra after adding a leveling kit (wife and daughter couldn't get in and out of it). I installed a set of Amp Powersteps. They deploy when you open the door, and retract when you close it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441365994.015327.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	87773

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441366053.288268.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	87774

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #164

2012 Ram 3500, with some power goodies.. Tows like a freight train, needs to though as my rig is heavy.

JCMINIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
To anyone that will be traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway, I strongly recommend diesel. Just ran it from Cherokee, NC into VA and there were several sections of 14 degree grades that were several miles long with no "pull out". It was the first time I have ever seen 210* transmission temp. and we have the 6 speed Allison tranny and extra cooler with tow pack. Duramax had no problem with power, but trans temp, although still within limits, gave us much consern.
A gasser, unless towing very little weight, would have cooked both engine and tranny. The "overlooks" are not big enough to pull a TT and TV into for the most part.
Now why do you think this? both types of motors do they same work, they just do it differently. just because the diesel was not revving high RPM does not mean it wasnt working. A N/A gas motor makes its power by increasing air and fuel in the combustion chamber by inreasing the pumping action of the motor by spinning it faster and faster. A turbo diesel makes its power by increasing the air and fuel in the combustion chamber by forced induction in conjunction with its already high compression.

A normal diesel motor wont last long at 5000+rpm because it isnt built to. The very high compression and forced induction lead to very heavily built block and internals. These beefy internals make the rotating assembly comparitively very heavy and restrict the the motor to lower RPMs than their gas counterparts. The pressures involved would destroy a standard gasoline engine. This is why they are so much more expensive.

A normal NA gas motor wont last long with 8-12psi forced induction either. It wasnt designed to handle those kinds of cylinder pressures because it was designed to make its power by revving. The lower pressures allow lighter components and internals allowing higher RPM even with lower quality metals.

Now the EcoBoost is a cross-breed. It uses gas for fuel so it doesnt have to withstand the super high compression, but is built to withstand both forced induction and high revs. Forged internal, 6 bolt mains, etc... The cost is more than a standard gas motor, but still less than a Diesel.

As for the Trans, why would a gas motor trans grenade if it is seeing the same load and is rated for the same power handling as the Diesel counterpart. For example, my 6.4 hemi Ram has the same transmission as my fathers 2012 H.O. cummins. At the same speed and the same load and same gearing both transmissions would be seeing the exact same stain on their components. The Gasser would want a lower gear, but I dont see this as bad as the lower gear will be bigger and stronger than the higher one as it has to see higher torque multiplication.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
We pull a 2015 Saber Silhouette 322 BHTS weighing 11,000 loaded with a 2015 ram 2500 6.4 hemi.

The truck handles the load flawlessly. 11,000 pounds is towards the top of what this truck is rated for, but it still actually pulls it fairly well. Runnning at 61-62 usually and getting 8 mpg.
Great looking truck. I have its twin. Empty at 70 I routinely get 19, 75 it drops to 17.5. Pulling a 14" cargo mate it goes to 12.5 at 65. Pulling my fathers Stryker 2912 toyhauler with 2 baggers and 3 adults plus me and I got 8.5 @ 60 where my dads cummins with the same trailer but a single RZR 800 gets about 9.5 at the same speed.

I looked at a handful of Cummins before settling on the Hemi as a better match for my family needs. While i do plan on towing 10-12 times a year the truck is also our daily driver with very short commutes in small town USA.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #167

Well said.... Small town USA, short commutes, towing well under 10,000lbs, and daily driver are all the reasons I made the decision to choose a gas powered engine.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #168

Anyone have evidence that short trips (I.e. 5 mile daily commute to work are in fact bad for modern diesel engines? I'm not a diesel expert, but have talked to a few and they say it isn't a valid concern with today's diesels. Further confirmed by my sample size of 1 - my father in law who drives his 2010 f250 2.5 miles to work one way and has had his truck in the shop zero times since new.
Just curious to learn more and see if anyone else has heard the same thing.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #169
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

I have a F 250 with 10,000 km. I drive 13 miles round trip most days. To date I have only 5 gallons of DEF, nothing really in the major scope of things. Hardly regens and I do go 55 mph daily, not stop and go.
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Anyone have evidence that short trips (I.e. 5 mile daily commute to work are in fact bad for modern diesel engines? I'm not a diesel expert, but have talked to a few and they say it isn't a valid concern with today's diesels. Further confirmed by my sample size of 1 - my father in law who drives his 2010 f250 2.5 miles to work one way and has had his truck in the shop zero times since new.
Just curious to learn more and see if anyone else has heard the same thing.
Part of it is due to condensation in the crankcase. Diesels, as we all know, heat up very slowly compared to gas engines. If I forgot to plug my truck in on sub 30* nights the thermostat wouldn't open in the seven mile drive to work.

That lack of heat doesn't burn off water that can condense in the crankcase. One place that water came from was air getting by the rings while the engine was cold, slightly warm, moist air getting into an enclosed cold area, it was just like you blowing frost on a cold day. Moisture would condense and collect.

That was years ago. Today engines are so well sealed up that ring blowby is near zero, I'm serious, well less than 1% leakage. No leakage, no moist air, no condensation. So it's not nearly the issue it used to be. So long as it gets fully warmed up a couple of times a week I wouldn't think twice about it. It's been since the early 2000's since I saw a crankcase with water in it that didn't come from a coolant leak.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river