Buy the cedar creek 38rd fifth wheel
hitch weight-2190
axle dry weight-11250
unloaded vehicle weight-13440
gvwr-16190
cargo capacity-2750
dual axles-#7000
can I get away with a ford f 350 dissel single wheel
The key words in your question are "get away with". The answer is yes, but if you want to be safe and comfortable the answer is maybe. Why trust a bunch of strangers on the internet? Do some serious number crunching and find a dealer that has a TRUCK guy who really knows his product. I had a F350 SRW that was the heaviest of 4 available GVW's that year. The point is, not all F350's are the same. Options will reduce your cargo capacity very quickly. Do your homework and ignore all us experts on the internet!

PS, I've towed 5th wheels with the SRW noted above and with a Ram 3500 DRW. I would get a dually just for the stability and peace of mind

Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #32

Thanks I hear you.. I am very close to buying a 2011 ford F-350 Lariat crew cab 4wd diesel 6.7l drw still working on the price truck looks to be in very good cond 39500 miles

Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #33

Check the door sticker 4x with a lot of options that all weigh.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
mike.t
I would also say your insurance won't cover a wreck if that were brought up in the issues. I couldn't tell someone else how they should do things I only can say what I would do.
This logic doesn't hold up when scrutinized. You are saying your insurance wouldn't cover you if you were, in essence, "breaking the law" by being overweight. Therefore, if you run a stop sign, or are speeding, or "fail to maintain control of motor vehicle" or break any other law, your insurance would deny coverage? You do realize that the VAST majority of accidents are "at fault"????? They might drop you after the fact, but the point of insurance is to cover you doing something you "shouldn't". No bank would EVER loan money if the insurance company could deny coverage if you did something to cause the accident!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This logic doesn't hold up when scrutinized. You are saying your insurance wouldn't cover you if you were, in essence, "breaking the law" by being overweight. Therefore, if you run a stop sign, or are speeding, or "fail to maintain control of motor vehicle" or break any other law, your insurance would deny coverage? You do realize that the VAST majority of accidents are "at fault"????? They might drop you after the fact, but the point of insurance is to cover you doing something you "shouldn't". No bank would EVER loan money if the insurance company could deny coverage if you did something to cause the accident!!!
No it doesn't if you look at it the way you stated it. That how ever isn't the truth I'm not talking about a ticket or fail to maintain control of a motor vehicle.
But If you pull a load that's over the legal limit for you tow vehicle and you know that it's over the limit you should be held responsible . But if you want to do that good luck to you. because you may become your own insurance company. I know if you hit me and you new you were over load limit. I would sue you for negligence. And if I were you insurance company I would not pay the claim. You have a duty to obey the laws you are governed by. Good luck out there on the road.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #36

Go with the 3500 Dually and relax as the truck will make your trip's so much more enjoyable. You can't beat the stability as well as the brakeing the 1 ton offers so it really is an easy choice.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #37

Quote:
No it doesn't if you look at it the way you stated it. That how ever isn't the truth I'm not talking about a ticket or fail to maintain control of a motor vehicle.
But If you pull a load that's over the legal limit for you tow vehicle and you know that it's over the limit you should be held responsible . But if you want to do that good luck to you. because you may become your own insurance company. I know if you hit me and you new you were over load limit. I would sue you for negligence. And if I were you insurance company I would not pay the claim. You have a duty to obey the laws you are governed by. Good luck out there on the road.
So........ 99.xxxx% of wrecks each year are from someone being negligent and breaking a law. Insurance pays for all of them- because that's the POINT of insurance. BUT, if the form of negligence happens to be "overloading" then you lose your insurance and get sued. Got it. BTW, there have been no accounts produced on the forums yet that confirm what you are saying and many LEO, both active and retired, indicate there is no evidence to support your stance. My understanding is that some states allow you to register for whatever weight you want on a TV and if you weigh more than what you are registered for you can be ticketed. I contend this is because you haven't paid enough tax, not because you are "overloaded"- mainly because you can pay the extra and now be "safe" for a heavier load. I have not heard of anyone towing a camper being fined for this, though. Carry on.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #38

dustman stx
This thread started about what truck should this person get. I simply told him to consider the load limit he would be carrying. I really don't care what he or you or anybody does. yes there have been no cases that I know of for this situation. I will say this, it doesn't matter what plate you have on your truck. In IL if your truck is under 8001 pounds you can use B-truck plate. If you are over 8001 pounds you must have D-plates and your truck gets safety check twice a year. You could put any plate on any truck you want. You would still be liable I would hope if you knew that you were over the limit of what your truck manufacture says you can legally carry. What you think really doesn't matter to me I go by what the law say I can carry I don't know where you are coming from on the tax thing again I don't care. I just know I see a lot of trucks and sometimes cars going down the road lifted up in the front end, the higher your tires are in the front you have "LESS CONTROL OF THE STEERING" very bad idea when it comes to hauling 10 to 15 K. the liability would have to be on you. One simply question yes or no If you haul more with your truck than the manufacture recommends should you be held responsible for the damages due to neglect.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #39

Realistically, a 350/3500 from any of the Big 3 will do all you need. Dually will add much needed/desired stability. Once you pull with a dually you will never go back.
Master Blaster of the Navy
Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #40

Quote:
dustman stx
One simply question yes or no If you haul more with your truck than the manufacture recommends should you be held responsible for the damages due to neglect.
This is where you and I differ. I don't think any person should be held liable for deviating from a manufacturers recommendations- in particular when up until very recently they wouldn't even disclose how they arrived at their numbers. In addition, they have changed the numbers in several instances where there were NO changes made to the vehicle. I, for one, don't think anyone should be held criminally or civilly liable for adhering to a sticker a manufacturer places on a vehicle- especially one that can be shown to be somewhat arbitrary in many cases. I think at some point you could prove someone was negligent by being SEVERELY overloaded (I think this case would need to take into account any other steps taken to mitigate possibility of an incident such as road conditions, speed, vehicle modifications, etc., but I digress), but I don't think it has a lot to do with that sticker. You are talking about a pound of difference in weight taking you from safe and prudent to dangerous and negligent. So, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point and hope the OP has enjoyed the entertainment provided by us.

Tags
truck