Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

What TV tire presure?

What should I target for a tire pressure on my TV? My tires say 44psi max and my door says 35 psi cold.
Wallda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

When you tow, I would go with the 44 and when not go with the 35.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Is the 44 psi max a cold pressure? How accurate are the built in tire pressure monitoring systems? TV is a 08 gmc 1500.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

All tire pressures are cold temp.s. Have no idea of the accuracy of the monitor. Get a good guage and check them.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #5

Thanks oldcoot. I will do that. Do you ever have to worry about a tire pressure getting too high? (Assuming your cold weight was below the max)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Cold pressure should always be max when you start the day. The pressure will increase possibly 5 -10 lbs, but do not deflate them, they are designed to withstand the increase.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallda View Post
Is the 44 psi max a cold pressure? How accurate are the built in tire pressure monitoring systems? TV is a 08 gmc 1500.
Your front sensors may turn the light on if aired up to the 44psi, fronts usually have a +-, 4-5psi rang til light triggers. On rears I tjink some may have 9 psi range from door sticker. You can have the sensors adjusted if needed-a dealer or someone with a optioned (usually very expensive) scanner can adjust them too.
- accuracy--- they are probably more accurate than a range of pressure guages. I probably have a dozen different guages and they all read different, but whatever your dic reads is what is going to trigger a light.....sooo that one is the only one that really matters, as far as that's concerned.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
whatever your dic reads is what is going to trigger a light.....sooo that one is the only one that really matters, as far as that's concerned.
No, the actual pressure is what matters.
But yes, most people buy really cheap air gauges, and they are inconsistent junk.
Buy a good air gauge and go by that.
And once the OP establishes a relationship between the real pressure and what the TPMS says, he can then keep an eye on how the pressure changes under load.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

No, the actual pressure is what matters.
But yes, most people buy really cheap air gauges, and they are inconsistent junk.
Buy a good air gauge and go by that.
And once the OP establishes a relationship between the real pressure and what the TPMS says, he can then keep an eye on how the pressure changes under load.
So im guessing in your experience you have seen a big difference in dic psi and actual?
As a dealer tech I have aired a few tires up and im sure I deal more with tpms than 99% of people on here and even check them with a computer and adjust them and I have never encountered a difference of more than a psi or 2 if difference from what they are programmed for. (Unless there is a sensor or calibration issue)But I guess if you had an extremely acurate guage that measures to the 10th or 100th of a psi than I guess they could be pretty far off, but this level of acuraccy is not really an issue. Most failures are not going to be from a +-5psi difference
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
So im guessing in your experience you have seen a big difference in dic psi and actual?
As a dealer tech I have aired a few tires up and im sure I deal more with tpms than 99% of people on here and even check them with a computer and adjust them and I have never encountered a difference of more than a psi or 2 if difference from what they are programmed for. (Unless there is a sensor or calibration issue)But I guess if you had an extremely acurate guage that measures to the 10th or 100th of a psi than I guess they could be pretty far off, but this level of acuraccy is not really an issue. Most failures are not going to be from a +-5psi difference
I bow to your vastly superior intellect.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

I dont think thats really necessary.

I like many others im sure, found
this forum in search of quality information and guidance, based on facts. If someone has expertise or factual knowledge I appreciate thier input. And I was just trying to do just that, because I believe that is what the majority of us are looking for.

Sorry op for my disruption to your thread.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

My tires say 44 psi max. I run with 44 psi all the time, towing or not. It rides a touch rougher, but my mileage is increased slightly. YMMV
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote