Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you say wd did damage to the TT because of flex bars used . mostly to oder units . Same with the andersen . any coupler damaged had been used withg an old style wd before upgrading to the andersen . when coupler damage was noted it was on couplers that were 20 to 30 yrs old on Air streams and none knew if the damage was present before the switch .

you say you think the ball should protrude further down for better WD . when the way it's set up now the andersen offers better ed then by lengthening the shaft . the same forces are at play Andersen goes about it in a new and innovated way . standard wd add to bounce the andersen does not . std wd need to have added anti sway , the andersen does not .

can a std wd lift the rear end of a 1/2 ton truck towing a 10ton rig yes they make up for small TV . acutely making the roads more dangerous by people towing what they should not with an undersized truck
Did I say WD did damage?? No, i said WD manufacturers warned of too heavy spring bar on too light of a frame. I also said I had repaired the front of units and I was not sure if WD was a factor or not. I also stated Andersen issued a bulletin on one coupler that was incompatible. Thats what I said...

What you said...his set up looks good. From reading a previous thread I read he can go up to 7 threads?? I only see 4 on his set up and hes explaining he needs more equalisation...??
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #62

I did not measure any heights this trip so no hard evidence to post- but I DID NOT have the "light" feeling in the front end like every other trip for the last year. Was much more relaxed/confident during the pull than have been in a long time. I might pull it out next weekend to wash and wax so maybe I will measure ride height for hard numbers.

The compression of the bushings are normal, if not on the loose side. Have had them way tighter in the past.

I just highly recommend welding the Anderson brackets or brackets like mine to get the most out of this setup. I've tried it both ways and this way lets the unit work correctly.

And yes, I do think my squishy off road suspension plays a large role in all of this. Have added sumo springs to the rear to assist in the rear squat and is a big help. On roughy highways, can feel the difference of a jittery ride and with the no-jounce of the Anderson works well together.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #63

I glad its working good for you. You got the squishy suspension so you can off road and have suspension that will follow terrain and get traction. A WD hitch is supposed to allow you to equalise the load and not have to aid air or springs to the rear. You disconnect and your right back to where you need to be without the trailer. You stated the light feeling in the front is gone. Thats the sensation that WD gets rid of so you must heading the right direction. I fabbed a 12" drop WD setup one time and inquired how it towed. He said it went straighter with the trailer on than off...Thats what WD does...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #64

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425921135.171323.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	71020Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425921164.037726.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	71021Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425921189.654791.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	71022

Curt WDH works great on my 2003 Ram 2500.

2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500 4x4
2005 Nissan Altima
2011 Forest River Lacrosse 301RLS
jmcrae3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #65
Sunseeker 2500TS

29 XLR

Well I finally go tired of resetting my hitch every time I pulled my trailer empty, full (two 900lb Harleys in the garage), wind, rain, water in tank and water out, etc.... Every combination require hitch adjustments to avoid major trailer sway. Even with the adjustments sway would begin between 55mph and 70mph and drop 10 mph due to rain and/or wind, small car passing, etc. Short of buying a F350 dully I finally bought a Hensley hitch. I looked at Propride and Hensley and chose Hensley because they were 50 miles from my house. I go tomorrow to have it installed at the factory and drop $2500. Anyone have advice before I drop the $2500 on the final solution? Hensley claims it will stop the sway (so does Propride). If so it's worth the $2500 if I can pull without issue.
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #66

Trailer Sway

Congratulations! How nice to be able to get to the Hensley factory and have them install the unit. It will probably be done right. I have always found Hensley a very good company to deal with. My last installation I sent them photo's of it and they were able to pass along some really helpful advice. The biggest problem you will probably experience will be hooking up your TV. Believe me, you will get better with practice. One bit of advice I can pass along is to wipe some "Never Seize" compound on the inside surfaces where the "Hitch Bar" enters the unit. This will permit easier un-hooking if you have been hooked up for an extended time or towed in wet conditions. This does make the Hitch Bar a bit messy to handle but it works. Although you should no longer experience any further Trailer Sway, you will still experience buffeting in severe crosswinds and some when larger rigs overtake you. This will be buffeting opposed to Trailer Sway. Why? Your combined unit will react like it is one solid unit, similar to say a box van, so there can still be some buffeting. We have had our Hensley for some years and it has been well worth the investment and the few upgrades. My only complaint is the necessity to sometimes exchange Hitch Bars if you upgrade your trailer to one of a different configuration and keep the unit reasonably level. I am sure you will not regret your investment.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
The andersen should be a perfect match for your set up no sway no bounce wd simple grease less set up . very stout unit . join in the 21century
Ditto on the Andersen. I tow a 34 ft Salem Hemi 272RLIS. The Andersen does a great job of controlling sway as well as eliminates the bouncing motion. My 07 Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel only drops about 1 inch in the rear and the front raises less than an inch. No the Andersen will not restore that 1" but the TT and TV are almost peerfectly level and I don't notice any sway.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #68
Happy Keystone Owner

I like my Reese Dual Cam. Works great and is easily stored and secured when on the road and not towing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434934394.465822.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	80684

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
I like my Reese Dual Cam. Works great and is easily stored and secured when on the road and not towing.
Attachment 80684
I have left my hitch head in my receiver when camping and not towing before too.
In Illinois you might want to put a red ball cover on the hitch.

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
625 ILCS 5/12-614 new

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch containing a ball mount and hitch receiver extends more than 4 inches beyond the motor vehicle's rear bumper, then the ball mount must be removed from the hitch receiver when the motor vehicle is not being used for towing. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch extends more than 4 inches beyond the rear bumper of the motor vehicle and the hitch is composed of a single assembly that cannot be easily removed from the vehicle, then the ball of the hitch must be covered with a red cover. Defines "ball mount", "hitch receiver", and "motor vehicle hitch".

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I have left my hitch head in my receiver when camping and not towing before too.

625 ILCS 5/12-614 new

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch containing a ball mount and hitch receiver extends more than 4 inches beyond the motor vehicle's rear bumper, then the ball mount must be removed from the hitch receiver when the motor vehicle is not being used for towing. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch extends more than 4 inches beyond the rear bumper of the motor vehicle and the hitch is composed of a single assembly that cannot be easily removed from the vehicle, then the ball of the hitch must be covered with a red cover. Defines "ball mount", "hitch receiver", and "motor vehicle hitch".
Boy With that kind of BS Laws I bet you (Could/Would) Get (25 to LIFE) if your Tailgate was DOWN! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #71
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post

625 ILCS 5/12-614 new

Synopsis As Introduced
Yep, heard all that before.

Years camping....55
Old 06-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #72
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Boy With that kind of BS Laws I bet you (Could/Would) Get (25 to LIFE) if your Tailgate was DOWN! Youroo!!
Due to forum rules I can not comment!

Years camping....55

Tags
sway