Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
It sounds like semantics - but citations for exceeding your plated weight, exceeding the state maximum for private vehicles, or exceeding the weight limit for specific roadways/bridges (all of which depend on specific jurisdiction) ARE criminal citations. They are almost all misdemeanor violations.
Right, but the state maximum for private vehicles and limit for specific roadways is a far cry from the Tire & Loading placard on my doorjamb. And exceeding your plated weight (meaning your license/registration, right?)- can't you simply buy more in most states?

When people talk "legally tow", they're specifically talking about exceeding (or not) manufacturers ratings. I still stand by that this just isn't something that is criminally/legally enforced. Not that I've ever seen proof of, at least. (Or is that the "exceeding your plated weight" that you mention above?)

Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #22

I have same truck and tow a 41 Columbus with much the same weights as you show from the factory. 1st thing take it to a cat scale you may be surprised to find your 5er weight less than what's on the tags. My total weight truck and 5er is only 21k loaded and I'm 1500 lbs from truck payload weight. You should be fine. But if this is a toy hauler then you will need to cat it fully loaded. You don't want to go over that 26k tow limit unless you have a class A that is.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #23

Thanks all for all the information. Now for those that have a similar vehicle to mine, does your truck bed stay fairly level and or do you feel a need for air bags or an additional rear spring? Sorry for all the questions, however, this Fifth IMO is not cheap and I do not want to regret going to big. I do plan on retiring in two years and use this as a temporary or permanent home for awhile till I know for sure what state I want to retire in.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #24

My truck only drops about 2 inch's and is perfectly level. The ride is very good I don't even know the 5er is behind me at times. No need for air bags that I can see.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Heh, I feel like we've had this conversation before. IMO- that page is from a lawyer who is selling his services; of course he's going to take that stance. Marketing at its finest.
Yes you may have with me also. This says you are a senior member I'm not sure what that means but you should not be allowed to post on hear telling people that they are not legally responsible if they are overweight. If anyone listens to you they are out of there mind I will be contacting those that run this forum to see what can be done about you.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Yes you may have with me also. This says you are a senior member I'm not sure what that means but you should not be allowed to post on hear telling people that they are not legally responsible if they are overweight. If anyone listens to you they are out of there mind I will be contacting those that run this forum to see what can be done about you.

I'm not saying that someone's liability doesn't increase if they're towing overweight; I'm saying that there are no laws in the criminal system that apply to recreational users that pertain to the truck's posted ratings.

And again- read my posts; I'm actually an advocate for towing within ratings. I weigh my setup regularly at CAT scales and I recently paid for the Escapee's SmartWeigh.

I'm not telling anyone to tow beyond ratings; I'm simply saying the statement of "it is illegal" is blatantly false.

To do a report, use the exclamation point icon on the web page. If you're using the app, use the "Flag" feature. But please, before you do, explain where I have suggested that anyone tow over their ratings. Or, at a minimum, show me a law on the books (that applies criminally) that says you have to adhere to a truck's posted ratings.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #27

I agree with ependydad 100% if you are overweight in a semi truck, it IS illegal and you will be fined if caught. With an RV there is NO "law" stating that you must be within your weight rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #28
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I agree with ependydad 100% if you are overweight in a semi truck, it IS illegal and you will be fined if caught. With an RV there is NO "law" stating that you must be within your weight rating.

Now, in some states- there are registration and licensing requirements. But generally speaking, you can just pay more for a higher rating. That's still different than the truck's manufacturer's ratings and legalities around it.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 AM   #29

While it might not be illegal to tow over your trucks rating it sure will come into play if you are over and something happens and the law suits start.
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #30

Regardless of the other back and forth banter above....

Given the numbers provided in the Original Post

If you're truck weight 7227 and you have 500 lbs between cargo and passengers, then your max 5th wheel is 15773 based on 23500(GCWR) - 7727 (Truck weight + Cargo).

Now, you stated the trailer you wanted to tow had a GVWR of 16000. While that technically puts you over the max, most people don't tow their trailers at GVWR.

Also you need to factor pin weight. For that, we take 13000(Truck's GVWR) - 7727 (truck + cargo again) for 4773. I don't know of almost any 16k 5v'ers that have 4k pin weight. You look to be good based on the numbers provided.

My only word of caution is the 7227 for the truck sounds like a curb weight. You'd be much better suited loading the truck up with you, the family, fuel, and the hitch and taking it down to a CAT scale for a actual weight. Then substitute that for the 7727 in the calculations above and you have exact numbers to work with. This will also allow you to measure your Rear Axle weight against the RAWR listed on the sticker in the door jam to make sure you really have all the numbers.

As for the mention of the truck/trailer weight rating for your plate. If the non-commercial goes to 24k, you're good because if you make the calculations above work, you're max will be the 23,500 GCWR.

Happy Camping.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight