Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay245se View Post
While it might not be illegal to tow over your trucks rating it sure will come into play if you are over and something happens and the law suits start.

First of all, I've never heard of anyone getting sued for being overweight with an RV- and I'll bet you most likely haven't either. On top of that, they'd have to prove that being overweight is what actually caused the wreck. In addition, my understanding is that "negligence" would mean a prudent person would have clearly known better. If I can walk into court with thousands of images of others towing RVs that weigh in excess of what a door jamb sticker says- and if you've travelled much you know this would be easily accomplished- it seems you'd have a hard time proving your case. I think you'd have to be blatantly overloaded- like someone mentioned earlier- to the point where Soccer Moms would be pointing and looking because even they could tell you were overloaded.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

PERFECT and well worth the exercise.

IMO, Legal Smegal - Why take the risk to your love ones, your property, and for gosh sake MY loved ones to tow something that requires you to worry about being sued.

That my friends is just plain silly.

Been over (weight wise) just ONE TRIP and the white knuckle driving negates the relaxing experience we look for when we RV.

Much more fun drive when the rig is under weight and properly balanced (which is easier to do when you have room to move stuff).
Herk

Oh, PS - This is an open forum and as long as you abide by the posting rules you can post pretty much any drivel you feel like. We work hard to let you have a place to have "spirited discussions" on RV related topics.

HOWEVER, CAVEAT LECTOR rules.

(If you flunked or never took Latin that means READER BEWARE)

Lots of what gets posted are opinions, some based on fact, some on hearsay (or regurgitated from some other open forum) and some just posted to get a response.

(Links to supporting sites nearly always get more traction than just throwing your stuff out there)

NO ONE here will come to your aid if a mod suggested blows up in your face or you get hauled into court because of something you read here and decided was OK.

Every so often this has to be repeated.

We DO have a "No Beating a Dead Horse" ICON for a reason.

I read through this and while I personally don't agree with most of it, no posting rules have been broken (other than the dead horse)

Traffic rules vary (mostly) by state and what might be perfectly legal in yours may not be in others. Some are trumped by the Equal Protection Clause at the Federal Level (like non-commercial driver's licensing requirements). Even local laws get in the way (like Jake Brake laws).

In the end, YOU DECIDE.

Be safe, use the scales, follow your Placards and you will never need to worry about any of this (again in my humble opinion).

The "getting there" should be as much fun as the destination.
Herk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
Regardless of the other back and forth banter above....

Given the numbers provided in the Original Post

If you're truck weight 7227 and you have 500 lbs between cargo and passengers, then your max 5th wheel is 15773 based on 23500(GCWR) - 7727 (Truck weight + Cargo).

Now, you stated the trailer you wanted to tow had a GVWR of 16000. While that technically puts you over the max, most people don't tow their trailers at GVWR.

Also you need to factor pin weight. For that, we take 13000(Truck's GVWR) - 7727 (truck + cargo again) for 4773. I don't know of almost any 16k 5v'ers that have 4k pin weight. You look to be good based on the numbers provided.

My only word of caution is the 7227 for the truck sounds like a curb weight. You'd be much better suited loading the truck up with you, the family, fuel, and the hitch and taking it down to a CAT scale for a actual weight. Then substitute that for the 7727 in the calculations above and you have exact numbers to work with. This will also allow you to measure your Rear Axle weight against the RAWR listed on the sticker in the door jam to make sure you really have all the numbers.

As for the mention of the truck/trailer weight rating for your plate. If the non-commercial goes to 24k, you're good because if you make the calculations above work, you're max will be the 23,500 GCWR.

Happy Camping.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #33

Thank you all for the above information. I knew it would be close and wanted others opinions and I thank you for them. For those interested, the pin weight for the fifth is 3000 ( manufacturer specs) and knowing it will be close, if purchased will definitely get on the scales and adjust load weights if required. I do have the truck registered for 15000 and will have that upped when I reregister in December. After pulling a 10000 loaded usually at 63-65 I will most likely slower to 60mph. I do not want to be that guy that blantley disregards the guidelines. Now the bigger decision comes in to play. Go big or stay at home!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
My truck only drops about 2 inch's and is perfectly level. The ride is very good I don't even know the 5er is behind me at times. No need for air bags that I can see.
Same here, estimate pin weight is 1900 lbs. Rock solid with Camper package.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #35

before you begin any calculations

go weigh your truck.....it might come in at 9200lbs if you are lucky [guessing crewcab...but you don't say]....no such animal as a ford dually under 9k.
so your gross combined of 23500 minus 9200lbs of weighed truck will give you about 14300 of trailer.....buttttt, .... I'm thinking the 23500 is for single rear wheel....duallies are in the 30 thousand plus for the combined weight....go check it out.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #36

OK GUYS and GALS, Please remember that when you pull any 5'er you are a really really BIG TRUCK. I just had the depressing read of a California Highway Patrol report of a fatal 5'er crash. A 68 year old gentleman with a Dodge dually and a "modest" 36 ft fifth wheel. In a momentary lapse, going UPHILL on an interstate off ramp to a traffic signal controlled cross street at the top, he lost control. Had reportedly only been on the road half hour from last rest stop. He was alert, sober and coherent when he gave the police his statement minutes after the crash. It was about 3:00 pm.

He managed to flip his rig over the intersection and down embankment of the the opposite side, on ramp. He killed a 52 year old mother of four. He seriously maimed and injured four others and totaled not only his rig, but three other motor vehicles. He and his wife walked away relatively unscathed. The on board computer says he was not above the 55 mph speed limit and nothing at all was wrong with his truck. Sounded like in an avoidable accidental moment, his foot when off the brake and hit the accelerator. He blew through the signal and WHAM.

BE careful out there people.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #37

I know all about driving something "big" down the road. On Monday I had a fuel truck decide to veer into my lane while hauling hay. I slammed on the brakes and got over when I saw him coming. Hay doesn't like sudden stops. I am really lucky I didn't lose the load, but it was close. The whole load shifted foreword about 18". My truck will stop faster with 105k lbs on it than a lot of pickups pulling 5er's, but the load doesn't want to stop with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #38

Update: But first, I want to thank all for their input. IT all helped.
I went to the Ford dealership and got the spec sheet on my specific truck run by Vin # (Got some good news). Went to the local certified scales and got it weighed (more good news). So here is where I am at.
GCWR 26,000 lbs. w/0 airbags ( more than I thought)
steer axle 5040
drive axle 3900
Total weight 8940 add 140 for wife (9,080)
This is on a F350 Super Duty DRW Crew Cab 4x4 with a full tank of fuel, hitch, and myself with an estimated additional 50 Lbs in the bed. (NO wife) so I added 140 for her. (Don't tell her I told you).

26,000 -9,080 = 16,920 Based on these figures, I am feeling that at least I will be within the limits of the truck. With a payload of 5000 lbs and the fifth pin weight of 3000lbs (factory specs not weighed) my load availability should never be exceeded.
I had new front brakes installed on the truck today also.

Edited to add GCVR 13000- truck weight 9,080 = 3,920 available pin weight for fifth wheel and any added weight to truck cargo.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #39

Best add another 100 lbs for all the junk she will bring in to the cab with her. Or wait, am I reflecting me, when my DW is driving the rig--and does that include my personal ice chest?
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #40
Site Team - Lou

GVWR = 13,000 (Post 1)

Available Payload = GVWR - Actual Weight (13000 - 8940) = 4060 pounds

Maximum Camper Weight to Tow (X) based on Pin Load (15% MIN - 25% MAX) 20% Optimum Handling

X * 15% = 4060 or X = 4060/0.15 = 27,066 Pounds at Minimum Pin Loading
X * 20% = 4060 or X = 4060/0.20 = 20,300 Pounds at Optimum Pin Loading
X * 25% = 4060 or X = 4060/0.25 = 16,240 Pounds at Maximum Pin Loading

So as long as you do not exceed your rear or front axle load rating (From Your Pillar) you should be fine with the camper you are looking at.

Maximum Combined weight rating is only one of the things you need to look at.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight