Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #41

@Herk Thanks for finding my mistake and for the additional information.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
@Herk Thanks for finding my mistake and for the additional information.
One more point is that "airbags" and "Helper Springs" do not add payload capacity; just handling improvements. Typically the GVWR of a vehicle is more dependant on the truck's frame construction and axle mounting than the axle or tires.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
First of all, I've never heard of anyone getting sued for being overweight with an RV- and I'll bet you most likely haven't either. On top of that, they'd have to prove that being overweight is what actually caused the wreck. In addition, my understanding is that "negligence" would mean a prudent person would have clearly known better. If I can walk into court with thousands of images of others towing RVs that weigh in excess of what a door jamb sticker says- and if you've travelled much you know this would be easily accomplished- it seems you'd have a hard time proving your case. I think you'd have to be blatantly overloaded- like someone mentioned earlier- to the point where Soccer Moms would be pointing and looking because even they could tell you were overloaded.
Happened a couple years back here in Ohio.Can't remember the specifics but guy was over weight and lost control on a freeway and I'm not sure of the outcome but I think because he was over he was sited for unsafe load and held liable but like you said I think he was way over and just because a thousand people do it it doesn't make it right.
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay245se View Post
Happened a couple years back here in Ohio.Can't remember the specifics but guy was over weight and lost control on a freeway and I'm not sure of the outcome but I think because he was over he was sited for unsafe load and held liable but like you said I think he was way over and just because a thousand people do it it doesn't make it right.

Source?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Source?
I just remembered seeing it on tv but here are some sources that point to the liability of towing over weight.

TRAILER TOWING ILLEGALLY

Personal Vehicle Towing Liability for RV’ers ‚ÄĒ PersonalInjuryClaimsBlawg
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
One more point is that "airbags" and "Helper Springs" do not add payload capacity; just handling improvements. Typically the GVWR of a vehicle is more dependant on the truck's frame construction and axle mounting than the axle or tires.

Factory installed overload springs like my Camper Package do count as increased payload in my case.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #47
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Factory installed overload springs like my Camper Package do count as increased payload in my case.
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
If it is on the door post from the factory; that is true (and there may be more involved that just the springs).
If not; it is flim-flamery by the vendor/dealer.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #48
Mod free 5er

Just keep in mind, just because you may be 100#-200# over the lawyer stickers doesn't mean your frame, rear end, etc is going to break or blow up. Farmers have been and continue to overload trucks for years without problems. Just use some common sense.

IMO, no need to go out and spend $40-$50K for a bigger truck for 2-300#.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #49
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just keep in mind, just because you may be 100#-200# over the lawyer stickers doesn't mean your frame, rear end, etc is going to break or blow up. Farmers have been and continue to overload trucks for years without problems. Just use some common sense.

IMO, no need to go out and spend $40-$50K for a bigger truck for 2-300#.
Knowing you are a few hundred over means taking the time to find out.
Most folks "assume" they are only a few hundred pounds over; but never check. They wind up being tens of hundreds overweight before long; and that is a horse of a different color.

If my tractor breaks down carrying a load of hay, I just leave it in the field till I can get it repaired. My family is riding along in that camper and sitting on the side of the road in 100 degree heat waiting for a tow is no fun at all.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Knowing you are a few hundred over means taking the time to find out.
Most folks "assume" they are only a few hundred pounds over; but never check. They wind up being tens of hundreds overweight before long; and that is a horse of a different color.

If my tractor breaks down carrying a load of hay, I just leave it in the field till I can get it repaired. My family is riding along in that camper and sitting on the side of the road in 100 degree heat waiting for a tow is no fun at all.

OC isn't talking about overloading a tractor. He means that trucks in the ag industry are often loaded substantially beyond what they were designed for without incident. Being involved in this industry for many years now, I can attest to this fact. In actuality, even if farmers/ranchers wanted to abide by the manufacturers suggestion they couldn't. The loads they carry are so complex and varying that they'd be living at the scales if they tried to weigh every time they hauled something. What they do is use common sense. They generally know how to load a trailer to have good balance and the heavier they load the slower they go and the more room they leave.

Tags
weight