Old 04-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Not sure on the Ram but on my Chevy you get addition options that work with integrated brake control like the anti sway control and hill assist. It also knows when the trailer is plugged in with a message display so you know it has contact or unplugs. Not sure the Prodigy will do all this.
X2, the integrated brake controller is not only dash asthetics. Integrated means it mates your trailer brakes with your anti-lock, anti-sway TV brakes. I don't believe the Prodigy can do that. We currently have the integrated brake controller on our TV and won't consider a new vehicle purchase without one. It may also help resale value because it's not an add on. I believe you will eventually see these standard on HD tow packages. If it's on an older TV, it would be up to date.

As far as the extra couple hundred, you can probably negotiate that much. When we bought our last truck, we had agreed on price and still had them throw in wheel well liners and mudflaps to finalize.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

My new vehicle has an integrated system so I sold my Prodigy. I preferred the prodigy.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

We spend tens of thousands of $$$$$$ and then want to go cheap on the brake system????

You get your trailer swaying back there and the computer (anti-sway) is going to operate a whole lot faster than your foot or hands.

Just got back from Ft. Myers on I-75 and there's plenty of construction areas where you could easily start swaying just trying to maneuver all those barrels and trucks going by you at 80 MPH.

Your choice.
Happy trails,
Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

If you have a quality, well adjusted WDH w/ sway control, any sway control that may be integrated into your TV will not be activated because you won't experience sway. I didn't consider lack of integration a deal breaker at all and installed a P3 in my Ram over the oem. No sway and excellent brakes. Here's a pic:

windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
If you have a quality, well adjusted WDH w/ sway control, any sway control that may be integrated into your TV will not be activated because you won't experience sway. I didn't consider lack of integration a deal breaker at all and installed a P3 in my Ram over the oem. No sway and excellent brakes. Here's a pic:
======================

Been RVing since 1973. Have used Prodigy and OEM brake controllers. Both work well - OEM is faster.

Please don't say," If you have a quality, well adjusted WDH w/ sway control, any sway control that may be integrated into your TV will not be activated because you won't experience sway"

Winds affect sway on trailers- semis going by a 80 MPH affect sway- turning quickly to prevent a collision affects sway. I see it asll the time traveling down the road.
Happy trails,
Old 04-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #16

I wonder how integrated the OEM integrated brake controllers on Rams are? Would be interesting to know how the programming parameters interact with the standard ESP trailer sway control feature.

If we are talking 2013+ Rams, the lower level models have the smaller LCD 3" cluster screen. I have the full color 7" TFT screen in mine. If I didn't have it and had to pay retail plus installation for the OEM, I probably would would have went with the Prodigy P3.

Note: According to people on the Ram forums, the 7" inch cluster swap is plug and play, but there's even more money to spend.

Also, the programming update updates the equipment listed on the VIN of your truck (w/Integrated Controller) and would likely increase value of the truck a small amount.
m2kamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
We spend tens of thousands of $$$$$$ and then want to go cheap on the brake system????

You get your trailer swaying back there and the computer (anti-sway) is going to operate a whole lot faster than your foot or hands.

Just got back from Ft. Myers on I-75 and there's plenty of construction areas where you could easily start swaying just trying to maneuver all those barrels and trucks going by you at 80 MPH.

Your choice.
Happy trails,
I loved my p2 on my 1500... And if I did not have the Chevy integrated one I'd have used it over.. But I thought the same thing. 50,000 for my truck and worrying about $400? Seems silly. But, my controller works. Was it the ram's or the ford's that had issues / a recall on them for not doing their job well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Not sure on the Ram but on my Chevy you get addition options that work with integrated brake control like the anti sway control and hill assist. It also knows when the trailer is plugged in with a message display so you know it has contact or unplugs. Not sure the Prodigy will do all this.

X2 ours is factory installed.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
Engine 5.7L Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #19

Personally I would spend the extra money on the OEM controller. I have the Prodigy P3 in my 04 and it is a great controller, but I wish that there was an integrated controller available for mine to have the clean look without the extra box being bolted to the dash. All of our trucks at work, 3500HDs and Super Dutys, have the factory controllers and they seem to be a bit smoother and faster at applying the brakes.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #20

I see a lot of posts concerned about swaying and the dangers inherent in that. I suppose I can understand that if you have a 2, 3 or 4,000 TV and a 8,9 or 10,000 TT. If that heavy tail starts to wag, the dog just about has to follow. That is especially true in the case of a "bumper pull" TT (not a 5'er) and if you have load distributing bars and an anti-sway controller all hooked up.
For years, that is what I did until I retired and started traveling with an old log truck driver/owner who had at least 5 log trucks at one time. Loggers in Oregon drive on the worst possible roads imaginable, usually under the worst conditions. After a few hauls, the roads turn to mud and in the winter, they freeze and thaw every day. On a steep grade, mud alone is bad enough but mud on top of ice is just plain worse. Further, they are always very steep and hairpin curves constantly. If you drive those kind of roads for years, you have to develop some skill or end up dead. My friend drove his trucks for over 55 years before retiring. Since he was driving his own truck, he avoided accidents and only had one in over 55 years of work.
He used to have to track his mileage for IRS purposes but after 6 million miles, he quit and his accountant just submitted an estimate based on the number of days he hauled, the number of trips per day and the round trip mileage. It turned out that for years he drove close to the same number of miles. He likes to joke and say that he has backed up more miles than most people have driven ahead.
Now he tows an 11,000 # TT, pulled by a 2500 HD Chevy Duramax short bed crew cab. His truck crosses the scales at 6,000 + with his gear and an ATV in the bed. He never uses either a weight distributing hitch or anti-sway controller. He does use air bags and always tows dead level. According to him, if the load is level, the weight is distributed appropriately.
He is pretty bright guy because invented and patented the Airweigh scale system that gives highway trucks with air bags an actual, accurate weight by measuring the differential pressure in the air bags. Huge advantage to log trucks since no more overload tickets unless you just want to run the risk even knowing how much you actually weigh.
We go through the Columbia Gorge which is about as windy a place as you might find. The winds swirl and come from all directions. Lost a couple awnings that unraveled but no swaying problems that were any bother.
A couple years ago, he converted me and now I do the same, with an Andersen hitch which has a modicum of antisway due to the chains. But, I don't worry about adjusting the chains, just hook them up and go. My friend just tows with a regular hitch and nothing else. Neither of us has any trouble with swaying.
Further, if there ever is any sway, a slight touch on the brake controller setting the trailer brakes straightens the trailer right out. If you do not want to tap the brakes, just slightly nudge the throttle and that, too, will straighten out the toad. Doesn't take much at all.
His brother was killed when his trailer got to swaying and was locked up with anti sway and weight distributing gear. The trailer moving threw truck and trailer off the road, over an embankment and down into a canyon. Killed him. My friend believes if the trailer got into that kind of a mess and wasn't locked to the TV by all the anti-sway gear, the trailer would have broken off and gone down the canyon by itself. If so, his brother would have lived, or so he believes. When the rigs are locked together, they are going to go wherever the heaviest weight forces them. Seems logical to me.
Granted, he is an expert driver. But, he is also 85 years old and can't have the reflexes he did 65 years ago. He has towed about everything you can imagine, from TT to low boys with huge log loaders, double and triple log trailers, chip vans, flat beds and van bodies. He has towed on conventional hitches, 5th wheels, pintle hitches, goose necks and even a few he hates to admit and won't describe to anyone he doesn't know very well.
He thinks that all the hoopla about swaying is, at least in part, another gimmick to sell something at a big expense that you really may not need at all.