Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 03:34 AM   #41

Tanker trucks seem to affect me more than anything.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I think the OP has pretty much taken care of working the hitch. Still think it goes back to aerodynamics of the vehicle he was trying to pass mainly a car hauler. Kind of like NASCAR see what happens when you get up close to a driver car spins out take the air off the rear of car. Later RJD
I'm going to go ahead and set the hitch up from scratch this weekend after I pick up the TT from the dealer. The CAT scales are about 2 miles from my job, so I plan to stop on the way in and weigh everything. Then stop by work on our nice flat parking lot and set the hitch up using the directions from Husky so I know it is done right. After I redo the setup, I will go weigh again and hopefully things will be properly balanced.

The more I have thought about the hitch being installed when we took delivery, the more I feel it was probably eyeballed. The TT was parked on a decent slope and the truck wasn't level with the trailer when we hooked up to it.
2016 Nights Camped 23 (3 in popup)

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
mac.dblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #43

I've reworked 3 dealer-installed hitches and none were done correctly...my first trailer, my dad's trailer, and a friend's trailer. 3 different dealers, two Equalizer brand and one Husky. My dad's equalizer was missing parts!
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS (broken and TOTALED)
2008 Surveyor SV-234 (SOLD, but not forgotten)
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #44

Good luck on all that. My brother and his wife were almost killed in a microburst that caused his trailer to jack knife and roll. He now drives a fifth wheel. I will stick to my fiver as well. Just don't have the swing and sway issues of a pull behind.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
This is the picture that people suggested I needed to adjust the hitch. It is squatting the back a bit, but what you don't know is the front of my truck has a 2 1/2" leveling lift kit on it. So the amount of squat in the rear is amplified more so than if the front was factory height.

Attachment 128952
I also have a 2.5" leveling kit in my truck but still sits fairly level, not the greatest pic but the only one I could find.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161129-210056.png
Views:	88
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	129013
phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #46

I have no problems other than a very gentle push when big rigs pass. But, I really feel the turbulence when one of those box trucks go by.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips View Post
I also have a 2.5" leveling kit in my truck but still sits fairly level, not the greatest pic but the only one I could find.Attachment 129013
Nice truck! Super Crew with the 6 1/2' bed is hard to find. Black out the grill and bumpers and that's my next truck. Got a few other things to pay off first though.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Nice truck! Super Crew with the 6 1/2' bed is hard to find. Black out the grill and bumpers and that's my next truck. Got a few other things to pay off first though.
Thanks! Upgraded last year to this 16 from a 13 5.0 short box. Like this truck much better! Did have to order it though to get the 6.5 box and a few other things like the tow mirrors and max tow package.
phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #49
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Wyoming wind....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #50

I seem to get the most movement when a large boxy vehicle of any type passes me in the same direction, such as going around on an interstate. I think this is because those type vehicles are pushing a large amount of wind around the front. As they pass the rear of the TT, it is pushed one direction, which I slightly correct for, but then the push passes the TT axles and begins pushing the other direction and now my initial correction is compounding this new push. I then have to correct the opposite direction only for the push to now pass the TV rear axle and now push back the other direction to which my 2nd correction is now compounding. So, this entire process is causing a back and forth pivot at the ball. Seems as though an ~20mph difference in mine and the passing vehicles speed causes this effect the worst. A slow and steady pass of say a 5mph difference doesn't cause it.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
The worst cross-winds I have ever experienced was in October, 2007 during one of SoCal's Santa Ana events. Photo courtesy of NASA.

We live in Simi Valley- we live with it for several months out of every year.
We try to plan our escapes around it but it does not always work out.
After 31 years, I hate it more and more with each event. (just had one last weekend with 60 gusts)

Never been crossed up towing before.
We have always had a tow rig heavier than the trailer.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #52

Send a message via Skype™ to Campahedu
Here is my 2 cents. There are some great replies! I, too, have had some minor issues as I have a 2013 F150 hauling a 30' Wildwood (5700# empty). Twice I had the automatic braking system kick in and I love that. Quickly gets truck/cargo under control. Here is another thought: You said you were passing a car hauler (aerodynamic issues) at posted speedlimit. I am guessing he was going at least 65... I try not to exceed that speed hauling. I have installed helper springs to help even the load and use e-2 WDH. Stay safe

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 EB,Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Campahedu.com
Campahedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I seem to get the most movement when a large boxy vehicle of any type passes me in the same direction, such as going around on an interstate. I think this is because those type vehicles are pushing a large amount of wind around the front. As they pass the rear of the TT, it is pushed one direction, which I slightly correct for, but then the push passes the TT axles and begins pushing the other direction and now my initial correction is compounding this new push. I then have to correct the opposite direction only for the push to now pass the TV rear axle and now push back the other direction to which my 2nd correction is now compounding. So, this entire process is causing a back and forth pivot at the ball. Seems as though an ~20mph difference in mine and the passing vehicles speed causes this effect the worst. A slow and steady pass of say a 5mph difference doesn't cause it.
That's what I notice, too. Typically box vans / trucks passing same direction can cause a sudden sway. Even an SUV passing at a high rate of speed. When large vehicles pass slowly; not so much of an issue. Now as people have mentioned, there are times when you need to get off the road. 60 MPH cross winds can blow you over, and it doesn't matter what brand of sway control you have, although I wonder if the braking kind, might (at times) prevent a blow over (?).

Even when there are only moderate lateral winds, passing or being passed while pulling this billboard on wheels can get exciting. I have learned when to be on the alert, and usually am, but its when they catch you unaware that you get that extra shot of adrenaline and hopefully your shorts are still clean after you can start breathing again.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #54

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and set the hitch up from scratch this weekend after I pick up the TT from the dealer. The CAT scales are about 2 miles from my job, so I plan to stop on the way in and weigh everything. Then stop by work on our nice flat parking lot and set the hitch up using the directions from Husky so I know it is done right. After I redo the setup, I will go weigh again and hopefully things will be properly balanced.

The more I have thought about the hitch being installed when we took delivery, the more I feel it was probably eyeballed. The TT was parked on a decent slope and the truck wasn't level with the trailer when we hooked up to it.
Well, none of the above happened... When I picked up the trailer, the battery was dead. Had to hook up the jumper cables to raise it enough to hook up to the truck. Fortunately, gravity gave the advantage to lower it back down onto the ball.

One of these days... soon.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #55

Funny thing. The water was still off at the dump station for winter this weekend, so I filled the fresh water tank before we pulled out so I could use the outdoor shower to wash out the dump hose. Little sway all the way home with water in the tank over the trailer axles...

Tags
trailer, travel