Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #21
"On the road again"

And those breakaway cables do in fact LOCK the brakes if they get pulled loose. We pull a fifth wheel and our breakaway cable got caught on something in the bed of the truck and in a tight turn in a small Texas town...it pulled and the brakes locked completely. Fortunately we weren't doing over 10 mph and there was zero traffic.

It took a few minutes to figure out what had happened but now I make sure the bed of the truck is free from anything that could grab and hold that cable.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #22

Your chains should be wrapped around each other so that they are as short as possible while not interfering with turning. Wrapping them around each other also creates a cradle so if the ball fails /comes loose or somehow the hitch comes off the ball the tongue can drop down and will be cradled by the chains so it does not dig into the road. likely your umbilical will still be connected and you will be able to brake the trailer. As others have said the breakaway is a last resort if the trailer goes walk about on its own.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #23
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmission_doctor View Post
Your chains should be wrapped around each other so that they are as short as possible while not interfering with turning.
You should NOT wrap/twist the chains. This weakens the links and could cause a failure. If the chains are too long, either have them shortened, or use a bungee cord to hold them up off the road surface.

The chains should be crossed under the ball (l.e. The right chain hooked in the left hole on the hitch, left chain in the right hole)

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #24

X2!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #25
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgerax View Post
Am usually pretty computer literate but can't get my pic to post on THIS forum! Anyway, the cable for the breakaway, emergency trailer brakes was (IS!) about a foot longer than the safety chains! This is the way the dealer set it up...something all should check!
Use the Manage Attachments at the bottom when you start or edit your post.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #26
RV There Yet?

since we are on the topic of safety chains and emergency brake cables, where does everyone put their cable on the tow vehicle? I was pulled over once and a state trooper informed me in a not so nice manner that it was incorrect to have it clipped into the same attachment point as the safety chains. any thoughts here?
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
since we are on the topic of safety chains and emergency brake cables, where does everyone put their cable on the tow vehicle? I was pulled over once and a state trooper informed me in a not so nice manner that it was incorrect to have it clipped into the same attachment point as the safety chains. any thoughts here?
That's where I had always put mine, but yeah, I could see how it could be incorrect. Something could happen to the whole hitch, or possible that hole causing the breakaway to not work. There just wasn't anywhere else on my Ram to hook it up, short of maybe crawling under the truck.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #28

I always use a coil cable so it doesn’t get tangled in the fifth wheel during turns.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
You should NOT wrap/twist the chains. This weakens the links and could cause a failure. If the chains are too long, either have them shortened, or use a bungee cord to hold them up off the road surface.

The chains should be crossed under the ball (l.e. The right chain hooked in the left hole on the hitch, left chain in the right hole)

Rick
I think the poster may have meant crossed over . left side chain hook to the right side of receiver and right side to left to create a cradle . you are correct never twist a chain to shorten it
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
He was correct it should be attached to another point other than the hitch / receiver but that is where you see them most often. The TV frame or a place on a step bumper or bumper is better than the hitch or receiver.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #31
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
This is actually 1 of the great RV debates (lanyard vs chain length). I agree that you do not want to yank the cord if the safety chains are still attached. Imagine what would happen otherwise:
1. You feel and hear full 12volt braking to the trailer. Screeching tires, hard pull on the tow vehicle.
2. Hopefully, the violent impact loading on the chains (rearward pull from the trailer vs forward pull from the truck) does not break the chains or their attachment points to the trailer.
3. You naturally let of the gas, as you have no idea what's going on in that split second.
4. Now the trailer is dragging you down in speed, as it's tires are still screeching.
5. You get on the brakes yourself, thinking about getting to the shoulder.
6. Too much braking now, with no way to release the trailer brakes, and you end up coming to an abrupt stop in the middle of an expressway.
7. You try to move the trailer to the shoulder, but you likely do not have enough drivetrain to drag the camper, and again, you have no way to release the trailer brakes.
8. Hopefully, nobody plows into the back of the camper, while you frantically try to use the tongue-jack to get the coupler back on the ball, and the pin back in the brakeaway switch.

With you a 100%, here is a link to my posting on a similar thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/breakaway-activated-on-highway-166432-new-post.html

Stay safe.

2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote