Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #1

Wheel and tire upgrade trick bag.

So here's the trick bag I've found myself in. We ordered a Rockwood 8327SS -- 7648 Lbs dry + 1502 Lbs cargo cap. I have never liked the idea of doing 65 mph on ST tires, to me it's like running your engine at redline every time you drive it. Sooo I looked into upgrading to 16" wheels and tires, the problem is that between the factory 225/75-15 tires there is only 2 5/8" between tires. 15" tires are 28.3" OD and 16" 235/85-16 is 31.7" OD, meaning 16" wheels are out of the question.

I have looked into other 15" tires like European van 225/70-15 but cannot find them in "D load" rating. I am aware of the heated ST vs. LT debate as well, but can anyone suggest 15" trailer tires with D load and 65 mph+ speed rating.

I'm not looking to speed, just not run at max speed. Thanks everyone!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
but can anyone suggest 15" trailer tires with D load and 65 mph+ speed rating.
Although I don't have experience with them, Greenball makes tires (TOW-MASTER ST RADIAL)
that have a L (75 mph) rating on their ST tires....and also make a D and E Load Range tires in the 225/75R15 size.

Greenball Tires for ATV | Golf | Farm |

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #3

Kind of a (Back Door) way of another (Tire) debate,but your unit would be (Safe & Sound) with (Maxxis 8000) tires. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Unless your running the highway weekly with the camper...you'll be fine at 65mph with the factory tires you have unless you are looking to run 70-75mph then I can understand wanting to upgrade.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

WMTire, I see that Costco sells the Greenball, so they would hopefully be better than the standard China-bombs that come standard??

Youroo, I was going to go with Maxxis if there was no other alternative even if they were 65mph max, but WMTire has an interesting lead for me..Thanks!

Cajun, most of our trips are over an hour freeway usually closer to 3 -4 hours, so yes, I want some kind of upgrade either way.... I have had enough experiences with factory China-bombs no matter how meticulate I am about pressures.

Thanks all!

SE Michigan
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Always Learning

Maxxis and Goodyear Marathons are supposed to be able to be driven higher than 65mph by using the load inflation tables and increasing the psi by 10psi.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Although I don't have experience with them, Greenball makes tires (TOW-MASTER ST RADIAL)
that have a L (75 mph) rating on their ST tires....and also make a D and E Load Range tires in the 225/75R15 size.

I find it interesting that you give Info on tires that you have no (experience with) but have never listed what (Tires You Run) since you own a Tire Shop? Youroo!!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I find it interesting that you give Info on tires that you have no (experience with) but have never listed what (Tires You Run) since you own a Tire Shop? Youroo!!
X2, a lot of "experts" that give advice based on what they read with no actual experience.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
And you should also notice, I don't knock other people's choices of tires in a public forum either.

Since I AM a professional, I realize how funny people are. You tell them they made a bad choice in tires, and they get all defensive....cause they think you are saying they are stupid or made a bad decision.

On another note, certain people have been ingrained to try and blame everybody else for their decisions. If I recommend a Brand X tire, and they have problems with it, then it's all my fault because I am the professional and should have known better. Doesn't matter if they hit a curb, ran it low, etc........... it's my fault for suggesting it.

I just share the links and information, and it's up to the members to decide what they need....as they can make an informed decision then. I usually don't try to sway people for or against any tire. I'm also honest and tell them if I have any experience with a certain tire, to help in their consideration of my posted information.

Also as a moderator, I need to stay as unbiased as possible. If I start recommending/pushing brands of tires, being in the tire business, that makes me more of a commercial entity (or almost factory rep) in these forums.

If you want to come actually spend money with me, I'll be more than happy to tell you what I use.....or wouldn't use.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #10

always a catch 22 aint it..... :-) ... its a daily conversation at my shop....customer asks what I USE, and when i say i dont like the expensive name brand whatever, i instantly get the "so you will sell the expensive crap to us, but dont use it"???....or when they ask me whats the best tasting whatever..??? (how the heck am i supposed to know what you like?)

sigh....anymore i just tell em i buy/use whatever is on sale at the time...which is usually true because im cheap like that,,

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
And you should also notice, I don't knock other people's choices of tires in a public forum either.

Also as a moderator, I need to stay as unbiased as possible. If I start recommending/pushing brands of tires, being in the tire business, that makes me more of a commercial entity (or almost factory rep) in these forums.
I've always been curious too, but never asked because I thought your reasoning was fairly obvious. Thanks for confirming it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Maxxis and Goodyear Marathons are supposed to be able to be driven higher than 65mph by using the load inflation tables and increasing the psi by 10psi.
X2

Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Interesting how you simply must try to discredit everything anyone writes over information you perceive as missing but is actually irrelevant to the conversation.

Who cares what he runs for tires? Unless he has the exact same unit, with the same spacing issue, what he runs for tires doesn't matter.

He found info relevant to the op, shared it, stated he didn't know them but that by the numbers is exactly what was sought. What more is necessary?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #14

"He found info relevant to the op, shared it, stated he didn't know them but that by the numbers is exactly what was sought. What more is necessary? "

It's true, I am very grateful for being pointed in the direction he gave me. I would not have thought to check those otherwise.

SE Michigan
Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Interesting how you simply must try to discredit everything anyone writes over information you perceive as missing but is actually irrelevant to the conversation.

Who cares what he runs for tires? Unless he has the exact same unit, with the same spacing issue, what he runs for tires doesn't matter.

He found info relevant to the op, shared it, stated he didn't know them but that by the numbers is exactly what was sought. What more is necessary?
Thanks for the update. I thought this was a Open Forum,since they are Professinals I like a Professinal Opinion! But he told me I will have to come to him and spend Money for Info. Youroo!!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
daydreaming about camping

Quote:

I have the greenballs and have run them on several trailers with great results. As far as my research has shown they are the only trailer tire manufacturer that lists a 75mph speed rating at maximum load and normal tire inflation. Others claim 75mph either at lower loads or with additional inflation.

I generally prefer to have some safety margin. I will not run my tires at max load, nor at max speed, but it is nice to know I could.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I thought this was a Open Forum,since they are Professinals I like a Professinal Opinion! But he told me I will have to come to him and spend Money for Info. Youroo!!
well he IS a professional and owns/runs a for profit based business where in others willingly seek and pay for his PROFESSIONAL expertise and opinion? nothing wrong with that.....theres lots of psuedo tire experts like myself who will give your their pseudo professional sopinion for free!! LOL .....as a business owner myself who charges 60$ plus an hour for specialized one on one help i dont think its fair to give him grief for giving FREE generalized answers and or suggestions for others to investigate on their own....?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ya' forgot, he gets paid to go to rallies so why wouldn't he charge for giving YOUROO advice?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ya' forgot, he gets paid to go to rallies so why wouldn't he charge for giving YOUROO advice?
I'm sure you know- but that was Tireman9 not wmtire that does speaking engagements at rallies.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
Always Learning

Anyway...

Tags
tire, upgrade, wheel