Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 AM   #21
Just a member
Originally Posted by prestonj12 View Post
I'll never have a gas engine truck again.
Okee dokee and btw...

to the forum!

Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #22
Thank you one and all for the information. You have probably kept us from making a huge and expensive error since that Ford looked really good on the surface of it. I guess any truck can be low mileage if it doesn't run too well and stays in the driveway. We'll keep looking. This seems to be almost like dating. You learn from finding what you don't want and when the right one comes along, you've learned to recognize the value of what you see.

pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #23
I've been considering a trade up from my current Ram 2500 to a 3500. Went shopping yesterday and measured from the ground to the top of the bed rails on my truck and a new 3500. The 3500 stands 3.25" taller than mine. Since my Rockwood already is high in the front when hitched with hardly enough clearance between the rails and the trailer overhang, I'd be unable to tow with the larger Ram. Mine is on 17" tires, the 3500 was on 20"; that would account for 1.5" of the difference. I don't want to tow nose-high, so the only way I'd be able to use the 3500 would be to raise the trailer 2 or 3 inches.
There's a lot to consider when matching truck and trailer.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
I am not going to recommend a make or gas / diesel. I have read every post and it seems they are all due to personal preference but not giving you any really good info with any good reasoning. The best info I have read is for you to buy the biggest truck you can afford in case you upgrade to something bigger.

I found a 5er I really liked but like you could not afford what I wanted new. I wanted an F250 with a crew cab. $55,000 to $60,00 grand? Come on, be real!!

I did find what I wanted but it is a 1500, not a F250. It will do what I need though! It is a Dodge with a 5.7L Hemi and a 5 speed automatic tranny and a 6.25 foot bed. It easily pulls my 32 foot Rockwood Ultra lite. How? It has a full towing package with 20 inch rims and tires!

Make sure what ever you buy has a factory towing package installed. My truck has a heavy duty cooling system, suspension, transmission ect... Last but not least make sure it will handle the weight of the trailer you are looking at.

As for bed length, a 6 foot can be used but I would recommend you invest in a slider hitch. I have a 6.25 foot bed with a Reese slider and love it! Don't need it very often but when I do it is worth its weight in gold! It may come in very handy one day.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
Buy what you can afford but most of all buy what you and your loved ones feels safe in. IMHO I would make sure it's at least a 3/4 ton, any truck can get you to the top of the hill it's coming down that matters. 06 and below diesels get the best fuel mileage. I have a 12 3500 Silverado SRW diesel, I brought mine new at 0%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #26
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
You have NOT said one word about weights. All tow vehicles and trailers have weight ratings. More than 50% of RVs are actually OUTSIDE of their legal limits in at least one parameter. You need to determine how much total weight your trailer will be, then add a suitable safety margin (say 20%). You also need to make sure the hitch you'll be using can handle the total weight as well as the tongue weight. Do yourself a HUGE favor. Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees RV Club runs an excellent one. There are other groups that run RV Boot Camps as well as online resources. The time and money you'll spend on RV Boot Camp will be VERY well spent. Mistakes made with RVs are usually expensive and sometimes dangerous. MOST pick up trucks are operating at the upper end of their capacity (if not beyond). Many RVers are moving to HDTs (Heavy Duty Trucks) to safely haul their trailers. I know you want to get on the road NOW but if you can, resist the urge, get educated and then, start shopping. In the long run, you'll save money and quite possibly, avoid a catastrophic accident.
I agree that weights are something overlooked all too oftern. I would also recomend that you take your time. I didn't find my TV until a month after we signed on the dotted line to the 5er. Ended up with a terrific deal on a used F-350 SRW 4X4 power by the 6.8L V-10. Biggest selling point was that the dealer was selling it as a certified used vehicle. That enabled me to buy at a very modest price, a Ford warranty that covers me out to 2019. That means I'm covered just about anywhere I roam. I started out looking at 3/4 T as well as 1 T vehicles, looked at DRW and diesel. I looked at torque curves and rear end ratios till I was blue in the face. Bottom line is, go as big as you can afford to go. Make sure the axel weights can support the pin weight, with margin . My Crusader max's out just a little under 12,000 lbs, but the F-350 set up I've got will pull 21,000. So far on two trips through the Adirondaks and one through the Berk,shires, I haven't seen the tach hit 4,000 yet. Most of the time we're running at 60 mph and turning just a shade over 2000 RPM. Will be interesting to see how it does going into Yellowstone coming out of Red Lodge.
rovinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #27
If I towed more I`d consider a medium duty truck to do the job.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #28
We bought the truck first. 2500 duramax cc/4x4. 10000 gvwr. Pull almost anything! Then after buying the fiver, find that my tv already weighs 8000lbs. Only 2000 left for pin weight and firewood. Like Rubber Nail, I'll be springing for a 3500 srw!!! Just extra peace of mind!
David & Kelly
2015 Sandpiper 355RE
2015 Silverado 3500 CCSB SRW 4X4 D-maxx

Nights camped in 2016:03😄
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #29
I have a long bed 3500 SRW but if I had it to do over I would have got a standard bed

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #30
2500 series are severely restricted weight wise if you go diesel. Gas motors are better, but still lacking. 3500 series trucks are far better for towing heavy loads.

donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote