Old 09-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #21
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
BAL X Chocks are the very first thing installed and tightened when parked and the VERY LAST thing removed before pulling out of campground. I leave them installed even when hooking up and doing a pin pull test. Take them out and then do a trailer brake test and leave.
x2!!

Listen well to Yoda (OC), padawan. Steer you wrong, he won't.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
we use our x-chocks before unhooking. when we had the tow trailer, and even now when we unhook our fifth wheel. the trailer won't move. we almost lost a trailer when we unhooked once and it was chocked with the plastic chocks that you place behind. and front of the wheels. the trailer rolled right over them and down a hill. My husband grabbed the tongue and pulled the tongue to direct the trailer to the hill side instead of over the hill. and yes it was being parked in a hill with just a little bit of an incline we took all the precautions, but the equipment (the plastic wheel chocks that I see lots of others using, didn't hold up

X2 on the plastic chocks. Now use x chocks.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
IMO the x-chock is the most secure system for a dual axle trailer and does not need the help of any other chocks,.... the motion of the two wheels is the exact opposite of each other, with any movement one wheel is wanting to go "up" and the other wheel is wanting to go "down",... with two x-chocks snugged in correctly between the tires on each side, the trailer can not move,.... sure, no harm done when adding other chocks, but never have and don't see the need,....

ok, I guess if our site was on a VERY SEVERE slope, maybe I would, but probably not, if it was that SEVERE I'd more likely move to another site or another cg,.....
While camped, do you check them? They do relax after a time...
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Three years ago when I first started using the x-chocks, I would occasionally test the nuts for snugness over an extended stay at a cg., but never found any evidence of relaxing or looseness....... Now, once the tt is leveled side to side, they go on and I don't touch them again until after the tt is hooked up to the truck for leaving and I am removing them........ I don't believe they require a real tight fit, snug absolutely yes, but not a forced, wrenching, tightness...... IMO that opposite motion, of up from one tire and down from the other tire, that the two tires would put on the x-chock when trying to move in any direction, would in itself cause a wedging affect against the x-chock and prevent movement, unless of course it was so loose that it could fall out from between the two tires.

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Have never had to re-tighten mine in over 10 yrs of using them. I evidently tightened them tighter than you do.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #26

I just had the opportunity to try the chock the wheels, put my TV in neutral (I felt it "relax"), set the parking break, put the TV in park, got out and unhitched the TT with absolutely NO troubles whatsoever. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #27

Just so's you all know bal X chocks , and the plastic X chocks are not supposed to be used to chock the tt . they are made for stability not for securing the rig . AT least that's what the manufacture of X-chocks says .
I use them but also use regular chocks
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #28

Not to high jack this thread but...I have read to not use the x chocks until the TT is level front to back because it will bind the tires/axels/chocks as you raise or lower the tongue. Any thoughts on that? I'm not sure what I think.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
Not to high jack this thread but...I have read to not use the x chocks until the TT is level front to back because it will bind the tires/axels/chocks as you raise or lower the tongue. Any thoughts on that? I'm not sure what I think.
That's correct . bal X-chocks clearly states not to use the x chocks in lieu of wheel chocks do not use them to secure the tt from rolling or mving and do not install until set and level .
I do what the manufacture states not what users state or do .
Old 09-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have never had to re-tighten mine in over 10 yrs of using them. I evidently tightened them tighter than you do.
I always got into trouble for breaking things as a kid. Just so gun shy about anything now.

Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer