Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South of Columbus, Ohio a little bit
Posts: 72
When unhooking trailer from ball.....

the coupler sort up snaps off the ball and I get a bit of movement of my TT while the jacks sits on my wood blocks. I thought it was going to fall off the blocks. It is chocked.
Any ideas what causes this?
I hope I am clear.
__________________

__________________
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 943
This is normal and is caused by where the ball is positioned in the hitch receptacle. There is a slight pocket forward of where the ball rests in the hitch. To prevent the "popping off" of the hitch, you can move the tow vehicle backwards just a tick to center the ball in the hitch before unhitching. Hope this makes sense.
__________________

__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
the coupler sort up snaps off the ball and I get a bit of movement of my TT while the jacks sits on my wood blocks. I thought it was going to fall off the blocks. It is chocked.
Any ideas what causes this?
I hope I am clear.
when that happens, your ball has solid contact with the front inside wall of the coupler, as you crank the trailer up off the ball that bottom lip of the coupler is forced up against the curve of the ball and when it reaches the halfway point it lets loose and that is the snap,...... if you put the vehicle in neutral and let it "relax", that should remove the forward force and somewhat allow the ball to center itself in the coupler cup and the snap will go away or be much less,....
__________________


fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
This is normal and is caused by where the ball is positioned in the hitch receptacle. There is a slight pocket forward of where the ball rests in the hitch. To prevent the "popping off" of the hitch, you can move the tow vehicle backwards just a tick to center the ball in the hitch before unhitching. Hope this makes sense.
What Teamfour said... as well as... trailer ball sockets on some units fit VERY snugly. There has been quite the discussion with the ROO folks here recently about the socket being slightly undersize.

Also, make sure you use some kind of lube on the ball & socket.
I use a dry PTFE dry lube on my ball hitch trailers.

The coupler slides right off where before, sometimes the jack would lift the trailer & tow vehicle and I'd have to jump on the bumper to get it to release.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 590
I tend to pull my truck forward (after chockin tires and starting to lift tongue) to ensure the ball is all the way forward in the coupler. This ensures it isn't caught on the latch/release. The little bump is no big deal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
rcla2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 29
Parking brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukegsdaddy View Post
the coupler sort up snaps off the ball and I get a bit of movement of my TT while the jacks sits on my wood blocks. I thought it was going to fall off the blocks. It is chocked.
Any ideas what causes this?
I hope I am clear.
As long as you are on level ground, try not setting the parking brake on the tow vehicle but, MAKE SURE IT IS IN PARK. The TV will have a little play, usually and inch or two, and then the hitch ball will not be totally tight against either the front of the coupler or the latch. May not be the correct way to unhook, but it seems to work for me.

Hope this helps.
__________________
rcla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 144
we use our x-chocks before unhooking. when we had the tow trailer, and even now when we unhook our fifth wheel. the trailer won't move. we almost lost a trailer when we unhooked once and it was chocked with the plastic chocks that you place behind. and front of the wheels. the trailer rolled right over them and down a hill. My husband grabbed the tongue and pulled the tongue to direct the trailer to the hill side instead of over the hill. and yes it was being parked in a hill with just a little bit of an incline we took all the precautions, but the equipment (the plastic wheel chocks that I see lots of others using, didn't hold up
__________________
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dunn, NC
Posts: 457
Chocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
we use our x-chocks before unhooking. when we had the tow trailer, and even now when we unhook our fifth wheel. the trailer won't move. we almost lost a trailer when we unhooked once and it was chocked with the plastic chocks that you place behind. and front of the wheels. the trailer rolled right over them and down a hill. My husband grabbed the tongue and pulled the tongue to direct the trailer to the hill side instead of over the hill. and yes it was being parked in a hill with just a little bit of an incline we took all the precautions, but the equipment (the plastic wheel chocks that I see lots of others using, didn't hold up
Those plastic chocks do good to hold a golf cart. Get the big rubber nes from harbor freight.
__________________
pdqparalegal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
E brake

I pull the tt emergency brake out, the one on the trailer frame' when un hooking. This keeps the tt on the blocks. A little extra security to the wheel chock. Just remember to push the brake pin back in after you un hitch.
__________________
waynebas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebas33 View Post
I pull the tt emergency brake out, the one on the trailer frame' when un hooking. This keeps the tt on the blocks. A little extra security to the wheel chock. Just remember to push the brake pin back in after you un hitch.
you can do that but not sure it's recommended . to each his own when it comes to their own tt's .
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.