Old 07-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
where do YOU stow your hitch?

I'm wondering . . .
I have an Equil-i-zer hitch. After unhitching and we pull the truck away I have always removed the entire hitch, (sway bars and all) and shoved the whole 75lb contraption under the RV. I was wondering if you folks find it easier to (a) just remove the sway bars and leave the hitch ball/sway arm receiver attached to your TV; and (b) am I being too trusting with leaving my hitch on the ground. It did cost $750. and (c) does anyone have a method for locking their hitch to prevent theft? I'm curious to hear what others do

2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2601SS
2006 Toyota Tundra DB Cab; 4.7l
3 teenagers - growing too fast
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
I store mine in the storage area, I always keep it with the camper if not knowing me I would forget it. We all know that all storage compartments on camper are keyed the same, but mine is not, I change them out. This doesn't mean that it can't be broken into but it makes it a little harder with the lock not keyed the same as others.
I don't like leaving it out because I have grease on the ball and dust is all over the campground from people driving by.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
The Old Man
Updated Security Measures

Originally Posted by rvron View Post
am I being too trusting with leaving my hitch on the ground.
Definitely yes! I put locks on everything having been ripped off on at least two occasions and had the TT broken into another time.

1. Get new locks to replace your compartment locks. EVERYONE has the same CH751 key. I got these in a set that were all keyed alike: Camco 44293 5/8" RV ACE Key Baggage Lock: Automotive

You will have to measure your existing locks to get the right lengths and don't assume that all compartments are exactly the same length. Then if you want you can put your hitch in one of the compartments and it will be a little bit more secure.

2. Get locks for the hitch pin and coupler. I've heard of people coming back from dinner while on the road and finding their trailer gone. They have also been stolen right from campsites. Without locks someone with just about any hitch can back right up and drive off with the trailer. (Especially if you leave YOUR hitch laying right there on the ground.)

Hitch pin lock: Master Lock 375DAT Class III/IV Snap-On Receiver Hitch Lock with 5/8-Inch Pin: Automotive

Coupler latch lock: Master Lock 605DAT Solid Brass Trailer Hitch Coupler Lock: Automotive

Coupler lock: Master Lock 379DAT Universal Trailer Coupler Lock: Automotive

King-pin lock (5th wheels) Master Lock 387 Hi Security King Pin Semi Trailer Lock: Home Improvement

Dual purpose, chock and lock adds stability AND security: BAL 28005 Deluxe Tire Chock: Automotive

3. Lock your wheels and spare. You can go to just about any auto parts store and buy lug nut locks. Or for the spare you can use a cable lock: TRIMAX SPARE TIRE CABLE LOCK: Automotive

The links I posted are just examples. There are many different brands and different sizes depending on your particular RV. And most of these devices can be circumvented by determined thieves no matter what you do. But especially in a campground, they are likely to pass you by for easier pickin's since they'll likely have so many unsecured trailers to pick from. So the idea is to keep the weak-willed honest and to slow down the not-so-honest.
Attached Images
2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
When I had my 8315SS, I used to leave the shank (with ball) in the receiver. It had a locking receiver pin. I'd place the WD bars in the rear storage compartment.

Remember to place a plastic grocery bag over the hitch.
1- So you don't get grease on your pants leg as you walk by.
2- So you don't hit your shin on the hitch as you walk by.

Sometimes I'd relieve the tension on the weight distribution bars(Equal-i-zer Brand), then pull the pin from the receiver and drive away. The complete WD assembly would stay with the trailer. I had a lock on the coupler latch.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
I bought my locks at Lowe's, they have two different size cylinders, if you get them from there you will need the long cylinder.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
I used to leave mine on the ground before I upgraded, but you can never be too careful
2010 Georgetown 357qs
2009 chevy hhr
2007 chevy silverado
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
I have a big black box that I carry in the back of the Suburban. I keep the hitch and parts that go with it in that.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
I have a locking cover on the truck, I put mine in there. I know the lock is not the greatest but everything is out of site. I lock everything I can think of, trailer hitch, propane tanks, spare tire, X chocks, electrical cord and of course the trailer.
2010 Rockwood 2604SS
2008 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
I lock mine in a box in the back of the truck. A lock will only keep a honest person out. But it will slow a person down when they are trying to take something.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
At camp, I keep/lock the complete set of hitch parts in the TT storage compartments (need to upgrade those hatch locks), and when in storage, the hitch lives in another storage unit with plenty of security.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
MrT is online now   Reply With Quote