Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Where do you take your diesel pickup to when the warranty runs out

My warranty is about out on my 12 Silverado 3500 diesel, I have always took the truck back to the GM dealer. With no warranty on truck where would y'all recommend I take the truck too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Zimmey's Automotive
1241 Heidelberg Ave
Schaefferstown, PA 17088

Best in the US! That's the only place ill take my diesels and that's where i tell all my buddies to go and they all agree. Its a little far for you but if your in the area that would be the only place in PA to take it.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

If you are satisfied with your dealer then there. Otherwise you need to ask somone local....
But if you want to drive an hour then Stevenson Chevy in Swansboro.
I'm completely satisified with the Diesel Tech there. Been working with him for years, always straight up with me even when it isn't in the companies "best/ $$" interest.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #4

No one has ever touched my diesel except me (other than Ford SVO when it was new to build the transmission), my BIL is an executive at Ford, (nice to have influential family)

I do all my own maintenance but then I take care of all our vehicles (with Rock Auto's help), change and mount my own tires, grease jobs, oil changes, filters, everything.

I have to maintain my farm tractors which are diesels anyway so no big deal. I have a heated indoor shop with a concrete floor (it's heated floor) so working on stuff when it's snowing and cold outside isn't an issue... and it's air conditioned in the summer too.

For anything warranty I trust and take my vehicles to Brondes Ford in Toledo, Ohio. Thats where we buy them new. Been dealing there for 30 years. Good folks.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Emory Diesel in Englewood, FL. Since you're probably not going to travel here from PA, I instead suggest you ask around and get recommendations for good diesel shops in your area. (I'm very picky and have the infamous 6.0 Ford diesel and it's very important to use someone who's well-versed in that motor.) OTOH, if you're happy with your selling dealer, you might want to stick with them.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #6

I live in NC and what I was really asking was do you take your diesel back to the dealer or find a shop that you take your truck too. I know some dealers will stick it to you. I'll ask around close to where I live at at where others take there truck too. I don't expect anyone to work on truck for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Definitely dont take it anywhere you dont trust them to do honest work, dealer or not. I had to take my 2011 Duramax 3 different places before I found a reliable maintainer.

I take it you are not happy with your dealer doinv work?

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 12-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

If your dealer has a good diesel tech stay with the dealer. A good forum to go to is Diesel Place: Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums. Inform yourself. When I had my 04 Duramax the dealer was the best place for me to go for engine work if needed. There was a diesel performance shop by me but he did not have a lot of knowledge about the Duramax.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

I'm about an hour north of you. I have been using my local Ford dealer (Crossroads) but found they were really high. I just got my truck back from NCB Diesel and was really happy with their work. Not the cheapest option in town but not a fly-by-night operation either. I would highly recommend...

Light Duty Diesel Truck Repair & Offroad Modification Raleigh NC

Best of luck in your search!!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

Name:   patonback.jpeg
Views: 727
Size:  6.8 KB
Sidecar.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #11

Having spent my entire working career in the heavy-duty diesel engine business (Detroit Diesel engine/Allison Transmission), I would say to continue to take it to the dealer if you've developed a good rapport with him. Most dealers and independent repair shops will use a similar Labor Time Guide (a.k.a. "Flat Rate manual") so you're talking about primarily a labor rate difference. You MIGHT save a few $$$ taking it to an independent repair shop, but if they don't complete the repair properly, now you're talking about additional down-time - or in a worst-case scenario a road breakdown while you're traveling or on vacation.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #12

If you have had good experiences at your dealer I would continue to go. They are the best trained to work on your truck, but like anything getting a good technician is key.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #13

I am very happy with my dealer. They allow me to be in the shop and the mechanic and I have a great relationship. He gives me honest answers.....not what a dealer normally does. Their price is fair, not cheap but they get it done right the first time. If it has to stay there for the they offer me another TRUCK to drive. VanBortel Chevy in Macedon NY
Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

Kluza. So you are saying the dealer will "complete" the job while your taking a chance on getting it "completed" at a independent.
My wife had a 2012 Ford EDGE SEL that had some sort of leak. 3x to the dealer to get it fixed correctly.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #15

I do the basic maintenance on my truck, such as changing oil and filter, both of my fuel filters, axle oil, greasing the components as required and transmission oil and filters. If I need major work it will be either my local independent garage or my oldest son who does diesel engine rebuilds.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Kluza. So you are saying the dealer will "complete" the job while your taking a chance on getting it "completed" at a independent.
My wife had a 2012 Ford EDGE SEL that had some sort of leak. 3x to the dealer to get it fixed correctly.
As I'm sure you are aware, variables can affect repairs - i.e. may have been an apprentice technician on the repair, may have been hard to replicate the problem, may have been plain old technician error (or it may have been a problem that an independent repair shop would have taken more tries to fix). A lot of this comes down to just attempting to stack the odds in your favor - who has the best-trained technicians, who has access to factory trouble-shooting assistance, who has the most experience on that particular product. As with anything, there are some VERY good independent repair shops out there, there are some authorized dealers who leave a lot to be desired.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #17

As with anything, there are some VERY good independent repair shops out there, there are some authorized dealers who leave a lot to be desired.

My point. Thank you

Chris' Auto Connection
Moorpark,CA
Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #18

Being that I work at a dealer and have for over 30+ years I would say it's not the business indie or dealer you really need to concentrate on but instead the tech who is doing the work. If you can find one that is honest and does good work then follow him wherever he goes and build a rapport with him. A good tech is more interested in a job well done and pride in workmanship than the almighty dollar though that sometimes is a challenge. One more thing I would suggest would be when a mistake is made which will happen watch how it is handled, hopefully fairly, these are the guidelines you need to use. In all points, do not let the expense be the final decision maker unless it is routine maintenance, but if you let your best new friend the tech do this he will more than likely look your vehicle over more thoroughly being he works on your rig and is familiar with it and make suggestions when to do certain repairs or maintenance.
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #19

Davidjeff. That is the best however in the larger city's you probably wont know which tech serviced/repaired your vehicle at a dealer. You either got a ride back to your home or your having coffee and a ? while you wait. Oh and watching the news on the 40" TV.
Find a good independent and stay with that tech where ever he/she goes.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #20
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Davidjeff. That is the best however in the larger city's you probably wont know which tech serviced/repaired your vehicle at a dealer. You either got a ride back to your home or your having coffee and a ? while you wait. Oh and watching the news on the 40" TV.
Find a good independent and stay with that tech where ever he/she goes.
OP lives in a small town

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express

Tags
diesel, warranty