Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

Where is that dang'd coupler??????

Anyone have any tricks or tools to recommend so I can line up the ball with the coupler on the first shot??? Cameras, rods, marks on the trailer, whatever works for you..

Thanks
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use aligning rods along with a mirror mounted to my trailer tongue. Still not a 1st shot deal every time, but it gets me close.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

I use a camera mounted on the truck license plate. It is tied into my factory nav system so I don't need an additional monitor. I also mounted a camers on the back of the TT and have a A/B switch to select the one I want. I can watch either camera while moving in reverse or forward and the system switches to the selected camera when the turn signals are used. The whole setup was a little pricey but worth it.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

I was all ready to pick up one of these couplers for my boat trailer until I realized that I have surge brakes and it wont work with them. The way they show it in the picture isn't quite right as one of the magnetic rods is supposed to be on the tongue of the trailer and the other on your hitch so that you can align the two.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #5

I use a camera as well, but the only problem I have is knowing when I am right under the coupler with out getting out of the truck, so I have a plan when the weather breaks I am going to install a spring on the front of the coupler, the spring will hang down so when I back up the ball will hit the spring, this will tell me that I am in front of the coupler, as I continue to back up the spring will move with the ball, once I am in the right place the spring should spring back and end up in front of the ball, meaning between the camera and the ball. I just have to figer out how long the spring should be......Does anyone get a visual on this Idea?.....I can not see depth with the camera.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

I used to used the balls on magnetic sticks to help align, they worked okay, but then got a new TV and it has integrated backup camera and makes hitching a snap!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

rockwood06; I like the idea of the spring. I cannot judge distance at all. That is the reason for the camera on the TT tied into my turn signals. If I can see the front of the vehicle in the other lane I know I am safe to pull in. I am going to try the spring, thanks.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #8

Mine is simple (not cheap), I open the rear hatch of the Suburban, my 4 year old looks out the window and down at the trailer ball, surprisingly enough, he gets me ligned up right on the first attempt. Like I say, 4 year olds don't come cheap. I guess the only plus is that the accuracy of this method is only going to improve, right up untill he turns 13 or so. LOL.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Mine is simple (not cheap), I open the rear hatch of the Suburban, my 4 year old looks out the window and down at the trailer ball, surprisingly enough, he gets me ligned up right on the first attempt. Like I say, 4 year olds don't come cheap. I guess the only plus is that the accuracy of this method is only going to improve, right up untill he turns 13 or so. LOL.
How much are you willing to rent your 4 year old out for. I have a heck of a time getting lined up on my boat.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #10

Hold on to the 4 year old, he is worth millions, I have a 19 year old and he is never around except eat and sleep......
Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
rockwood06; I like the idea of the spring. I cannot judge distance at all. That is the reason for the camera on the TT tied into my turn signals. If I can see the front of the vehicle in the other lane I know I am safe to pull in. I am going to try the spring, thanks.
Let me know how it works and if you can post some pic as to how you mounted the spring.... I do have a few Ideas for that.