Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Where to put bikes? Problem solved!

Installed my Curt front hitch yesterday. Got a Rhino Rack 4 bike rack for it. Preliminary testing has gone well. Much better than lugging bikes in and out of the 5er.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #2

Nice work! Running into the same issue as well. I wanted to go this route but I believe with mine I need to cut the plastic air damn. Not really a fan of that and besides it's a lease. Looking at a hitch for the back of the 5'er. So that won't cause issues with air flow?

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
Nice work! Running into the same issue as well. I wanted to go this route but I believe with mine I need to cut the plastic air damn. Not really a fan of that and besides it's a lease. Looking at a hitch for the back of the 5'er. So that won't cause issues with air flow?
Pinbox hitch/rack. For a fifth wheel, it's hard to beat its awesomeness.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Getting them off the pinbox hitch is what worried me about that setup. Plus I have the snowplow package on my 250 so I figured since I was already beefed up might as well use it.

2015 F250 Crew Cab
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
Getting them off the pinbox hitch is what worried me about that setup. Plus I have the snowplow package on my 250 so I figured since I was already beefed up might as well use it.
It's not so bad but it IS a 2-step process. First you put the bikes up into the truck bed and then from there, put them onto the rack. Taking them down is somehow easier- I usually have someone on the ground to help me out.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
Thanks! Airflow should be just fine. Plus the bikes will catch some of the bug gunk and save my grill/radiator a bit. May have to wash the bikes at the CG before riding after a long tow. ;-)

2015 F250 Crew Cab
Old 03-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

Be easier to keep your eye on them up front. I`m too lazy for a bike so I take my atv with me.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

I have considered a front hitch. I have a 2-bike hitch rack that I use on the back of the TT and carry 2 on the roof of the camper shell. Moving to a 4-bike hitch on the front would solve a lot of frustration factor...

Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick_PSD View Post
I have considered a front hitch. I have a 2-bike hitch rack that I use on the back of the TT and carry 2 on the roof of the camper shell. Moving to a 4-bike hitch on the front would solve a lot of frustration factor...

Yeah laying the moving blankets and hauling them in and out of the 5er was a PITA for sure. I'm waiting on delivery of the top tube adapters so I can mount all 3 bikes and give it a good test run. I'll post pictures and give a review once I do.

2015 F250 Crew Cab
Old 03-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
EpendyDad, how did you install the pinbox hitch/rack? You drill and mount the hitch yourself? Is there anything to shy away from when drilling the pinbox (if a person were to do it themselves)?

Been thinking of this, but I'm kind of leery of drilling holes in a perfectly good pinbox and (potentially) weakening it. I have no reservations of my capabilities of drilling holes.....

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

carry bikes with a 5er

I also have installed the CURT hitch on the front of my Toyota Tundra. Just finished a month long trip to SoCal and Az. No problems in over 1200 miles of travel. My rack is a folding one from e-trailer. It worked well although there was some sway. My application required a 7 inch extension to the hitch for front clearance. Overall it worked quite well.
rocky4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

I had a hitch custom fabbed for our 2500 Savana. We've used it over thousands of miles, through the Smokies in the dead of summer, and never had any airflow issues. We always carried 4 bikes up there without issue except, as you speculated, the need to wash the bikes once you get to the campground.

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
EpendyDad, how did you install the pinbox hitch/rack? You drill and mount the hitch yourself? Is there anything to shy away from when drilling the pinbox (if a person were to do it themselves)?

Been thinking of this, but I'm kind of leery of drilling holes in a perfectly good pinbox and (potentially) weakening it. I have no reservations of my capabilities of drilling holes.....

J.

This is all way above my paygrade, but my father-in-law did it. He drilled and tapped the holes and then put bolts into them. Because of the TrailAir air bag, he cut them off and there's no nut on the back side. I'm not sure if he did or didn't use Loctite. I do know that in close to 10,000 miles on the trailer- the rack hasn't moved.

This is the second pin box he drilled and neither showed issues at all with weakening.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #14

This is a page I found last year when I heard someone talking about a pin box bike rack:

Learn To RV: DIY Fifth Wheel Pin Box Bike Rack - pictures

This level of fabrication is beyond my capabilities but would be ideal so you could use a standard bike rack and remove it when not in use.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
This is a page I found last year when I heard someone talking about a pin box bike rack:

This level of fabrication is beyond my capabilities but would be ideal so you could use a standard bike rack and remove it when not in use.
That's my page & camper and my father-in-law's handiwork.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

Just Rite bike rack

When I towed with a 1999 Grand Cherokee carrying bikes was a problem. I bought this elaborate Just Rite bike rack that mounts on an extended hitch tube. The rack is somewhat adjustable for distance from TV and TT. It pivots back to afford access to the lift gate. Apparently it is no longer available but Blue Ox has something that looks very similar. I was able to use my WDH and sway control with the rack in place. Due to the extension length it decreases your max tongue weight and max tow capacity somewhat. A very good solution for those using a SUV with a lighter-type trailer. While using it on the freeway in SoCal a CHP officer pulled up next to me and gave it a long "eyeball" and then he just pulled away.I had to add length to my safety chains and electrical connector.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2752.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	103224

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	103225
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #17

Quote:

I`m sure you could build that , If you got some welding skills.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
I`m sure you could build that , If you got some welding skills.
I'm betting you can take the concept to any welder/fabricator and have it built fairly cheaply. The receiver tube was bought on Amazon ($20, I think). I bought metal for the sides on the one pictured, but on the second one- my father-in-law just used scrap from the machine shop that he uses. I literally had $20 in and maybe an hour or so of his time.

I've been talking to him about making + selling these. I'm not sure if he'll bite and do it or what.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
Installed my Curt front hitch yesterday. Got a Rhino Rack 4 bike rack for it. Preliminary testing has gone well. Much better than lugging bikes in and out of the 5er.

2015 F250 Crew Cab
Thank you for sharing this. I really need to get one for my new F350, but not sure if I like how low that one mounts. I have only used Curt products in the past, but looking at pics, I think the Reese might mount a tad higher.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I really need to get one for my new F350, but not sure if I like how low that one mounts. I have only used Curt products in the past, but looking at pics, I think the Reese might mount a tad higher.
It looks low but it's not the lowest thing under the truck. If you're still concerned though it also is mountable in a raised position but you have to cut a hole through the fascia. Check out etrailer.com for info.

2015 F250 Crew Cab

Tags
bike