Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Which 5th Wheel Hitch???

We can't decide and have to pretty quick. Hijacker, Husky or Reese? We are looking at a 16K "double pivot".

Our dry hitch weight is 1134lbs, GVWR is 9134lbs pulling a 2011 Rockwood 8280WS. Pulling it with a GMC 2500HD Duramax. We don't need a slider as the trailer is coming with a Reese Sidewinder.

Any thoughts? Remember we are first timers.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #2

I just purchased a B&W Patriot...looks like a great hitch, and all the feedback I have seen so far is great! They say it will work with the Sidewinder. We have a Flagstaff on order and it is coming with the Sidewinder. We are first-time fivers as well.

Good luck!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Just went through the same thing as we just purchased our first 5th. Actually delayed our tacking the 5th home by 4 days because by the time I decided on the hitch, and they order it I had to wait for the delivery and install. Seems like picking the hitch was the hardest part of the whole deal.

Anyway, we decided on the Pull-rite over the choices you have listed, I looked at all of those plus the Hensley, it actually came down to Pull-rite and Hensley when I could not get a local dealer for Hensley I went Pull-rite.

Relevant or not I wanted a system that has a single wrap closure around the pin, just felt better visually to me when I check that I hitched it correct, I also wanted a system with a under-bed system so that my truck bed could be clear when I did not have the hitch in it and wanted to haul something.

Also our 5th has a GVWR over 14000, but I decided that at the cost of a hitch I'd rather match it to the truck than the trailer so I purchased a 20.5K Pull-rite super 5. You should consider this as well unless you never plan upgrading campers.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

I use a 15k Hidden Hitch (Reese). I believe in the "K.I.S.S." principle.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Grape Escape

Reese/Drawtight signature or elite series. Best one in my opinion. With hitch removed bed is clear.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

TrailerSaver............

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Just went through the same thing as we just purchased our first 5th. Actually delayed our tacking the 5th home by 4 days because by the time I decided on the hitch, and they order it I had to wait for the delivery and install. Seems like picking the hitch was the hardest part of the whole deal.

Anyway, we decided on the Pull-rite over the choices you have listed, I looked at all of those plus the Hensley, it actually came down to Pull-rite and Hensley when I could not get a local dealer for Hensley I went Pull-rite.

Relevant or not I wanted a system that has a single wrap closure around the pin, just felt better visually to me when I check that I hitched it correct, I also wanted a system with a under-bed system so that my truck bed could be clear when I did not have the hitch in it and wanted to haul something.

Also our 5th has a GVWR over 14000, but I decided that at the cost of a hitch I'd rather match it to the truck than the trailer so I purchased a 20.5K Pull-rite super 5. You should consider this as well unless you never plan upgrading campers.
I have the same Pullrite 20.5K. Great hitch! Look at one, then look at a Reese. Much stronger looking. Also, pullrite has fully removable rails available. When I take them out, the bed is totally flat.

I am VERY happy with my Pullrite!

MP
Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
TrailerSaver............
We have the TrailerSaver made by Hensley. It's like setting your king pin on a cloud or an air cushion and driving. It'll smooth out the worst interstates. We just returned from AZ and some of the worse roads I've ever encountered and all I can say Thank God and Hensley for the TrailerSaver BD-3
Trailer Hitches – Air Ride Trailer Hitch & Fifth Wheel Hitch

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel